Escape to the Movies: Alice in Wonderland

Sleipnir

Oct 17, 2009
I sometimes wonder if Burton should just force his wife and Depp to have an illegitimate love child and get over it already.

As for the review, I actually liked Charlie and the Chocolate factory, and though I expect you're probably right about this film, I'll probably be seeing it. You never know, I might like it.

Dec 14, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:
Loved the special message. I've hated a lot of Tim Burton's movies expect for one. Sweeny Todd. And I've have yet to watch a Nightmare before Christmas and refuse too. Judging by your review, this is crap. Thank you moviebob

I think you mean "Judging by your review, you are crap. Thank you bob"

But in all seriousness, if I WAS to listen to a critic I'll listen to Ebert, a PROFESSIONAL who has spent his whole career (or at least a damn many years) reviewing movies, also don't listen to critics, go see the movie (theater or pirated) and judge for yourself, don't let other people decide for you, that's just fucking stupid
I laughed hard. You do know what a reviewer is right? Someone who gives an unbiased opinion on something after taking into consideration every aspect of something. A professional opinion giver is an oxymoron.

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
Well, I was looking forward to this one but it sounds like if I wait a week or two (and naturally matinee it), or even forget entirely and end up Netflixing it later I won't be too bad off.

Shame, because it looked like it could be so good.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
THANK YOU MOVIEBOB!

I am soooo glad that I wasn't the only one who hated Burton's reimagining of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It was hands down the worst of Burton's movies....well, and Planet of the Apes, and I am glad I have Gene Wilder's version to fall back to.

As for Alice, I figured as much. Based solely off the trailers, I knew too much time would be devoted to the Mad Hatter, and having Alice in armor looks ridiculious.

What makes me sad is that now that this has come out, there is no chance for American McGee's version of returning to Wonderland to be made as a film. That at least delves into the fact that Wonderland is actually Alice's psyche and that the more traumatized and fucked up she is, the more Wonderland is fucked up.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Oh well, I liked Charlie so I am gonna give this a shot as well. Mostly cause I wanna take a girl out.

Sidenote: who was the LOOK AT ME bit directed to, at the beginning of the video? He really sounded like the Joker at some point. HAHAHA!

Marlun_42

Nov 30, 2009
Why does the Mad Hatter have a broadsword? They got Tolkien in my Carroll. And it doesn't taste very good.

Skreeee

Jun 5, 2009
I can't be any worse than Sci-Fi (I refuse to use that stupid "hip" spelling) channel's Alice that came out a few months ago. Now that was an atrocity. Even worse than TinMan the year before.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
I think I've finally nailed down the difference between moviebob and ZP. I actually like it when he gives a bad review to something I've been looking forward to. I feel rescued, or diverted at the last minute from making a terrible mistake. But here, I just feel crushed and betrayed.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Who called it? I called it. I knew from the first announcement that this Depp guy would be playing the Mad Hatter that this movie wouldn't stay to the original work at all.

With "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass (And What Alice Saw There)" being, hands down, my all-time favorite classic pieces of literature, I get very excited when adaptations or spin-offs occur. (Yes, even the SyFy special "Alice" hit a soft spot for me... but god that was atrocious...)

Now, I will say this, Wonderland is fairly easy to make your own. As you said, Bob, the story really is Alice going from place to place observing quirky things in the world. But some things should never be done to the place. No matter how you spin it, I will always despise the Mad Hatter. Simply because of how much of a popular character he is. Sure, he was crazy, so what? Why doesn't the dormouse or the March Hare get as much recognition as he does? They were both at the tea party. How about Bill the Lizard? Or the Duchess? There are so many people who know nothing of these characters because of how popular the mad hatter is simply because he is, well, mad! But the thing most people don't realize is that every single character in Wonderland is mad. Every last one is crazy in their own regard. To make the Mad Hatter the main character (apart from Alice... oh wait...) is simply idiocy, in my opinion.

American McGee's Alice did something right that not many other spin-offs have been able to do. It was good. It was different, it was gothic, it was good. It took what every kid who goes to Hot Topic thinks they represent and made it awesome. Hell, I'll bet most of those Hot Topic kids would never even touch the game because of how grotesque it can be.

I'm sorry. I went off on so many tangents that the above are hardly able to be understood. But it is still how I feel. Screw the Hatter. Screw Depp for that matter. Give me the Walrus and the Carpenter! Give me Bill! Give me the Dodo! The Gryphon! Fuck the Hatter!

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Ahh... I am calm again...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Sleepy Hollow was Burton's last good movie. Everything that came afterwards sucked.

And from the first time I saw Depp as the Mad Hatter I knew this movie would be no exception.

.....Oh, and it's in 3D.

EDIT. The original Disney cartoon is still the best Alice movie.

Apr 28, 2008
First things first: Best. Opening. Ever.

And about the actual movie: Its a shame it didn't turn out good. Having recently played through American McGee's Alice, I was looking forward to this.

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
yeah from the start of seeing what Depp looked like as the mad hatter and the trailers i was fully thinking this was going to be the unofficial Charlie in the "Chocolate Factory 2".

i think one of my favorite (and the first i have seen) of Burton's work in Nightmare before Christmas. i never saw Corpse Bride but kind of want to as well.

iv heard the basic rule that his original movies are mostly good and his remakes are generally shit. this movie seems to support that theory.

but hey at least it look/sounds cool amirite?

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
My wife wanted to go and see this, she already bought the tickets.

I am a huge, huge fan of Alice In Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass and not so much a fan of Tim Burton over the past decade... so this is going to be, Interesting.

Lets see if I can avoid walking out of the theater.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:
Loved the special message. I've hated a lot of Tim Burton's movies expect for one. Sweeny Todd. And I've have yet to watch a Nightmare before Christmas and refuse too. Judging by your review, this is crap. Thank you moviebob

I think you mean "Judging by your review, you are crap. Thank you bob"

But in all seriousness, if I WAS to listen to a critic I'll listen to Ebert, a PROFESSIONAL who has spent his whole career (or at least a damn many years) reviewing movies, also don't listen to critics, go see the movie (theater or pirated) and judge for yourself, don't let other people decide for you, that's just fucking stupid
I laughed hard. You do know what a reviewer is right? Someone who gives an unbiased opinion on something after taking into consideration every aspect of something. A professional opinion giver is an oxymoron.
Well at least Ebert has some credentials (as in he's spent years doing it) but it seems bob hates a lot of movies and besides Tim Burton's Alice is the best live adaptation yet

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Why the fuck is the Mad Hatter using a Broadsword and sword fighting? Go shoot yourself Tim Burton. Boycotting this. urggh.

Hat of Controversy

Nov 11, 2009
Tim Burton's stuff falls into the same category as Invader Zim, where in it's only popular because its one of the few big, mainstream outlets that caters to all the
Daystar Clarion said:
emo douche bag wannabes.
First The Nightmare Before Christmas had to be given a bad rep for being the cause of all this, and the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had to come take a massive nutty-filled chocolate poo on one of my favorite classic movies, and now this. Nice...

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
I don't know why people get so upset over other people's opinions. It's a review... you don't have to agree with it. Goodness knows that I like some supposed crap movies and I'm ok if people say they are crap because it doesn't change how I like the movie!