Escape to the Movies: Alice in Wonderland

Heatseeker

Dec 26, 2007
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:
Loved the special message. I've hated a lot of Tim Burton's movies expect for one. Sweeny Todd. And I've have yet to watch a Nightmare before Christmas and refuse too. Judging by your review, this is crap. Thank you moviebob

I think you mean "Judging by your review, you are crap. Thank you bob"

But in all seriousness, if I WAS to listen to a critic I'll listen to Ebert, a PROFESSIONAL who has spent his whole career (or at least a damn many years) reviewing movies, also don't listen to critics, go see the movie (theater or pirated) and judge for yourself, don't let other people decide for you, that's just fucking stupid
I laughed hard. You do know what a reviewer is right? Someone who gives an unbiased opinion on something after taking into consideration every aspect of something. A professional opinion giver is an oxymoron.
Well at least Ebert has some credentials (as in he's spent years doing it) but it seems bob hates a lot of movies and besides Tim Burton's Alice is the best live adaptation yet
I hope you realise that Ebert said much of the same things in his review
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100303/REVIEWS/100309990/1001
He may have more experience but it seems the two agree in this case, on most points at least

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
maninahat said:
gilgamesh32 said:
Wasn't the whole "Alice returns to wonderland, hell has broken loose" thing already done in a videogame? With a similar setup, similar visual style and the same villan? Or did I just dream that...
Yeah, that's a cult game. I heard there were supposed to be making a movie adaptation of just that. I guess this is what we got instead. They should have re-released that game.
True, but the movie adaptation of "American McGee's Alice" has had it's feet firmly planted in development hell for a decade now. If this is the closest thing I'm ever going to get to my adaptation of "Alice" I think I may die a little inside.

wfpdk

May 8, 2008
is it just me or has anyone else noticed that tim burtons movies never take place on nice sunny days.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Hard to take the review seriously when he starts off as such an ass, be professional take your personal quarrels outside your reviews. Just saying.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Hmm, interesting review there, I'm still gonna go see it on the screen though, mainly because theres nothing else to do here. I'd also rather pay £5 to see it once and be entertained and not £10 later on just for it to take up space on my shelf.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
I gave up on this movie when I found that the only actor whose name was on any of the posters was Johny Depp. Because it was a pretty clear sign that the movie wasn't aimed at Lewis Carrol fans, it was aimed at Depp/Burton fans. Which sends it from "surrealist literature adaptation" to "hollywood teenage girl cash-in".

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Skeleon said:
Huh, as I actually like his take on Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, I might like this movie too, I guess.
Same here, I am really excited to see what Burton has done with the story...and how twisted it truly will be

Tyrannowalefish_Rex

May 30, 2009
Ok, ok, the battle for Narnia-like story-turns that they chose may have been a mistake, but that doesn't justify the repulsive comparisons with garish saturday morning cartoons or Power Rangers. It's not only clichéd in itself to come up with the lowest possible denominator, but can also be considered an attack on the aesthetics of the review-watchers. And what were those drug-abuse accusations towards Lewis Carroll? If that's all you can see in the stories, that's poor.

Nov 5, 2007
Damnit Bob, I was hoping you would say this movie was amazing. I'm going to see next week (because of girl, damn you spring-time love) and I was hoping it would be somewhat good. Oh well, Hathaway is in it so I guess I'll focus on that.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Marlun_42 said:
Why does the Mad Hatter have a broadsword? They got Tolkien in my Carroll. And it doesn't taste very good.
Meh, if you're going to have a Tolkien'esq final battle, why not give the Hatter a sword? He'd make a good berserker. They even have the good sense to put him out front, with his allies WELL behind him in case he hacks at them too. ;)

Vredesbyrd67

Apr 20, 2009
Well either the movie industry is getting more predictable or I'm just getting better at predicting the movie industry and consumers in general.

First of all: Marla Singer as the Red Queen/Queen of Hearts. Anyone else find that funny?

When I first saw the trailer, I got really, really excited. I've never read Alice in Wonderland, and I've never seen any film adaptations for it, but I know the short version. Usually, this is exactly the kind of story that Tim Burton would be best suited for, right?

That was why I was optimistic until I saw the second half of the trailer.

"Cool! Alice is BACK in Wonderland! And everything's presented all creepy and Tim Burton-y! Wait...why does the Hatter have a sword? And why are there two epic armies marching in unison toward each other in a scene that promises to be an epic battle akin to the fight scene at the end of the first Narnia movie? Oh, Jesus. No, they didn't. They couldn't have. Not with...Alice in Wonderland of all things. Wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's just watch the trailer to the end and see how horribly wrong I was."

Apparently, I wasn't wrong. This is just Alice in Narnia. It's a cynical combination of the three things that Disney knows will sell: contemporary adaptations of beloved classics, over the top special affects, and epic fight scenes. "To hell with congruity," says the Disney marketing directors. "If you produce it, they will come!"

Maybe Helena Bonham Carter being in this movie is a sign. Yeah, that must be it.

Anyone up for going Tyler Durden on Disney HQ?

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:
Loved the special message. I've hated a lot of Tim Burton's movies expect for one. Sweeny Todd. And I've have yet to watch a Nightmare before Christmas and refuse too. Judging by your review, this is crap. Thank you moviebob

But in all seriousness, if I WAS to listen to a critic I'll listen to Ebert, a PROFESSIONAL who has spent his whole career (or at least a damn many years) reviewing movies, also don't listen to critics, go see the movie (theater or pirated) and judge for yourself, don't let other people decide for you, that's just fucking stupid
I laughed hard. You do know what a reviewer is right? Someone who gives an unbiased opinion on something after taking into consideration every aspect of something. A professional opinion giver is an oxymoron.
Well at least Ebert has some credentials (as in he's spent years doing it) but it seems bob hates a lot of movies and besides Tim Burton's Alice is the best live adaptation yet
I DISAGREE WITH MOVIEBOB!!! FLAME FLAME FLAME!!!

Seriously, Moviebob's reviews are alwase thoughtful, intelligent, and completely to the point. He provides valid reasons why most people might not like this movie ad he does so in an intelligent manner like a professional. If you don't like him you don't have to watch or post here at all.

Oh and if you honestly thought Tim Burton's horrible movie was the best adaptation yet then you haven't seen American McGee's Alice. Or heck, even the disney movie was better than this.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I could tell it was going to be bad, but an epic fantasy battle? HOOOOO! The only way anyone thought this was a good idea was because Burton was directing... and well, the studio execs are idiots.

I guess the time period of once good directors making crappy movies by forgetting what made their older ones so good (lucas, Burton, Speilburg, etc) didn't end with the last decade. Shame really.

dead_rebel

Jan 13, 2010
Yes...look at you look at you.

Anyway. Quick question. You say that the visuals are good, but the rest is bland formulaic shallow Hollywood nonsense. Well, what's the difference between this and Avatar then?

Shuzzam!

Dec 14, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:

Again, it's all based on opinion, no amount of 'professionalism' will change that. The reviewer you like is no more qualified than Movie Bob, since taste is not an objective thing.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Sylocat said:
Again, I thank the Escapist for that ad, which will drastically reduce the number of people with brains who will actually buy that game, thus keeping the multiplayer servers of games I like free of morons.
Wouldn't it just increase the number of people that aren't morons? It would shift the ratio, methinks.

God damn it, I hate Tim Burton and all the bullshit recognition he gets for his sub-par directing. I was expecting it to be bad and this confirmed. No doubt I'll probably be dragged to see this by my girl friends (notice the space) and have to sit through a couple of hours of looking into Burton's weird mind.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
How does it compare to this Alice version http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1461312/ in which an Alice returns to Wonderland, supposedly the "best Alice in Wonderland film evah!"

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:

Again, it's all based on opinion, no amount of 'professionalism' will change that. The reviewer you like is no more qualified than Movie Bob, since taste is not an objective thing.
I'm siding with my good pal Clarion here. I just want to say that if your opinion is to see the film then form your opinion, you're an idiot. If I want to know if a film is worth seeing, I watch a review. I don't go and watch the film, realise it's good then go and watch it, do I?

P.S Yes, I notice that this is quoting the wrong person, I'm just lazy.