Escape to the Movies: Alice in Wonderland

ereiamjh

Mar 5, 2010
I'm surprised no one mentioned Jan Svankmajer's stop motion version. Very dreamlike, very mad, and just plain awesome.

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
Yeah yeah, this probably won't be the best movie of the year. But fuck it, just look at all the shinies!

Vredesbyrd67

Apr 20, 2009
Dark Templar said:
Vredesbyrd67 said:
Dark Templar said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:
Loved the special message. I've hated a lot of Tim Burton's movies expect for one. Sweeny Todd. And I've have yet to watch a Nightmare before Christmas and refuse too. Judging by your review, this is crap. Thank you moviebob

I think you mean "Judging by your review, you are crap. Thank you bob"

But in all seriousness, if I WAS to listen to a critic I'll listen to Ebert, a PROFESSIONAL who has spent his whole career (or at least a damn many years) reviewing movies, also don't listen to critics, go see the movie (theater or pirated) and judge for yourself, don't let other people decide for you, that's just fucking stupid
I laughed hard. You do know what a reviewer is right? Someone who gives an unbiased opinion on something after taking into consideration every aspect of something. A professional opinion giver is an oxymoron.
Well at least Ebert has some credentials (as in he's spent years doing it) but it seems bob hates a lot of movies and besides Tim Burton's Alice is the best live adaptation yet
I DISAGREE WITH MOVIEBOB!!! FLAME FLAME FLAME!!!

Seriously, Moviebob's reviews are alwase thoughtful, intelligent, and completely to the point. He provides valid reasons why most people might not like this movie ad he does so in an intelligent manner like a professional. If you don't like him you don't have to watch or post here at all.

Oh and if you honestly thought Tim Burton's horrible movie was the best adaptation yet then you haven't seen American McGee's Alice. Or heck, even the disney movie was better than this.
*Facepalm*

First of all, there's no such thing as an unbiased opinion. We see everything through the lens of our tastes, our experiences, and our personal values. No human being can ever have an objective opinion because opinions are the essence of subjectivity.

Second of all, when judging art, the last thing you want to do is be objective. Judging it with objectivity implies that there is an ideal work that you're comparing it to, and there is no ideal work of art, because art is meant to appeal to the personal tastes of people.

Third of all, Roger Motherfucking Ebert? Really? The only bigger hack than him in the film industry is Michael Bay. He's the type of critic who does try to be objective, and all he succeeds in doing is missing the point of many good movies entirely and coming off a bloated, self-important ass. And just because he's old, has been in the movie business for years, and has written books about movies doesn't mean he's got "credentials." By that same logic Ed Wood was a filmmaking expert when he made "Plan 9", and Uwe Boll was an expert when he made "Alone In The Dark."

Also, in his review for Pulp Fiction, he spoiled one of the greatest scenes in the movie by showing it while speaking loudly over the already lowered audio, pointing out specific filmmaking decisions that Tarentino made. He ruined the gimp scene so he could show off how movie-savvy he is. The man is NOT an expert. He's a pompous ass.
Did you mean to quote me or the guy I am quoting? Cause I never used the words "unbiased" or "objective" and said nothing about Edert.
Yeah, no. Sorry. I was too lazy to cut your quote out of the whole thing.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Heatseeker said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:
Loved the special message. I've hated a lot of Tim Burton's movies expect for one. Sweeny Todd. And I've have yet to watch a Nightmare before Christmas and refuse too. Judging by your review, this is crap. Thank you moviebob

But in all seriousness, if I WAS to listen to a critic I'll listen to Ebert, a PROFESSIONAL who has spent his whole career (or at least a damn many years) reviewing movies, also don't listen to critics, go see the movie (theater or pirated) and judge for yourself, don't let other people decide for you, that's just fucking stupid
I laughed hard. You do know what a reviewer is right? Someone who gives an unbiased opinion on something after taking into consideration every aspect of something. A professional opinion giver is an oxymoron.
Well at least Ebert has some credentials (as in he's spent years doing it) but it seems bob hates a lot of movies and besides Tim Burton's Alice is the best live adaptation yet
I hope you realise that Ebert said much of the same things in his review
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100303/REVIEWS/100309990/1001
He may have more experience but it seems the two agree in this case, on most points at least
At least he gave it three out of four stars! If bob had a star system he probably would have given it 1 star or no stars

Eremiel

Apr 24, 2008
mechanixis said:
I gave up on this movie when I found that the only actor whose name was on any of the posters was Johny Depp. Because it was a pretty clear sign that the movie wasn't aimed at Lewis Carrol fans, it was aimed at Depp/Burton fans. Which sends it from "surrealist literature adaptation" to "hollywood teenage girl cash-in".
Completely agreed and it was the same way for me.

The movie was marketed more as "OMG! It's another TIM BURTON movie starring JOHNNY DEPP!!!" rather than "It's a cinematic adaptation of Alice in Wonderland".

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:

Again, it's all based on opinion, no amount of 'professionalism' will change that. The reviewer you like is no more qualified than Movie Bob, since taste is not an objective thing.
Everything is based on opinion, but Bob probably never gave it a chance, you know how some people watched the cartoon Alice when they were kids and then when they saw the trailer for this they were like "oooohhh, its bashing my child hood memories! its so ugly I dont like it!"

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I've only watched the first 30 seconds of the review so far, but I just had to stop and say: Wow, MovieBob doesn't take criticism very well, does he? Here's a little tip for you Mr. Bob, it's the number one rule about criticism on the internet: Don't respond to it. It's a beginner's mistake really, in fact most people have learned the lesson by the time they progress past posting amateur videos on Youtube. If you found the criticism as having a genuine point, then change what you did wrong. If not, ignore it. Anything else just appears a bit immature, don't you think?

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
mchoueiri said:
I kind of saw this coming I was not really excited to see this film. I mean it looked pretty but looking pretty does not make a good film. So im skipping this one . Oh and on a side note I liked Charlie and the chocolate factory but to each his own.
Nobody seemed to complain with Avatar. Although, Idk, haven't seen this movie, but for me, Avatar easily takes the crown as the most shallow movie of the decade.

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
ThisNewGuy said:
mchoueiri said:
I kind of saw this coming I was not really excited to see this film. I mean it looked pretty but looking pretty does not make a good film. So im skipping this one . Oh and on a side note I liked Charlie and the chocolate factory but to each his own.
Nobody seemed to complain with Avatar. Although, Idk, haven't seen this movie, but for me, Avatar easily takes the crown as the most shallow movie of the decade.
I mean avatar too dude. I am 100 percent with you on this.

Dec 14, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:

Again, it's all based on opinion, no amount of 'professionalism' will change that. The reviewer you like is no more qualified than Movie Bob, since taste is not an objective thing.
Everything is based on opinion, but Bob probably never gave it a chance, you know how some people watched the cartoon Alice when they were kids and then when they saw the trailer for this they were like "oooohhh, its bashing my child hood memories! its so ugly I dont like it!"
To be honest, as soon as I saw that Jonny Depp was in it I thought, "Oh for the love of god, not this again". I don't know why him and Burton don't just get married already. The whole gothic thing was great... 10 years ago. Now it's starting to wear incredibly thin.

Dec 16, 2009
Drodgyn said:
I really liked the movie, but the review was still 100% accurate. Granted it wasn't my favorite Alice in Wonderland adaptation (that honor still goes to American McGee's Alice -- that guy has either the best or the worst name ever; not sure which). But I wholeheartedly agree that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was Burton's worst film.
God yes, I was hoping for something very American McGee

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Who here is honestly surprised that this movie blows shit?
Really.

Blindswordmaster

Dec 28, 2009
Seems like Burton MISSED THE FUCKING POINT! This looked god awful and I'm glad someone called Burton(not that others didn't) on it.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Chimaera said:
Well, I was looking forward to this one but it sounds like if I wait a week or two (and naturally matinee it), or even forget entirely and end up Netflixing it later I won't be too bad off.

Shame, because it looked like it could be so good.
I never really enjoyed Tim Burtons style. he always makes it LOOK great but its like he painted sand to make it look like chocolate...only its a litter box full of poo

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Skeleon said:
Huh, as I actually like his take on Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, I might like this movie too, I guess.
My logic. I'm going to see it tomorrow.

Apr 17, 2009
I'll probably still go to see it, if only because it has Stephen Fry and his midas touch as the Cheshire Cat, and CHRISTOPHER LEE AS THE JABBERWOCK! MY DREAMS HAVE COME TRUE!

MrGone86

Mar 5, 2010
I think the best film adaptation of "Alice in Wonderland" is Jan ?vankmajer's 1988 film "Alice" ("Nìco z Alenky"). It's got great little bizarre touches like the White Rabbit constantly leaking his stuffing and having to eat sawdust to fill himself back up.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Im glad that we can agree that Alice in wonderland was total crap.
---------------
With all due respect Bob, I want to watch a movie review. If I wanted to watch a political shitstorm I'd watch CNN.