Escape to the Movies: Alice in Wonderland

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Gxas said:
American McGee's Alice did something right that not many other spin-offs have been able to do. It was good. It was different, it was gothic, it was good. It took what every kid who goes to Hot Topic thinks they represent and made it awesome. Hell, I'll bet most of those Hot Topic kids would never even touch the game because of how grotesque it can be.
I want to add in my two cents on this - American Mcgee's rendition was pure excellence.

Alice was everything that Alice in Wonderland should be: Surreal, grotesque, and ultraviolent.
Even the setting was dark, strange, and disturbing - Wonderland at it's finest.
[sub]Bring on the sequel! Whoo![/sub]

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Yeah burton has never really made a quote 'good' movie imo. They're all kinda just excuses to see cool and weird stuff. Which eh is enough for me, I've seen all his other movies, might as well go see this one too.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:
Loved the special message. I've hated a lot of Tim Burton's movies expect for one. Sweeny Todd. And I've have yet to watch a Nightmare before Christmas and refuse too. Judging by your review, this is crap. Thank you moviebob

I think you mean "Judging by your review, you are crap. Thank you bob"

But in all seriousness, if I WAS to listen to a critic I'll listen to Ebert, a PROFESSIONAL who has spent his whole career (or at least a damn many years) reviewing movies, also don't listen to critics, go see the movie (theater or pirated) and judge for yourself, don't let other people decide for you, that's just fucking stupid
I laughed hard. You do know what a reviewer is right? Someone who gives an unbiased opinion on something after taking into consideration every aspect of something. A professional opinion giver is an oxymoron.
Well at least Ebert has some credentials (as in he's spent years doing it) but it seems bob hates a lot of movies and besides Tim Burton's Alice is the best live adaptation yet
Again, it's all based on opinion, no amount of 'professionalism' will change that. The reviewer you like is no more qualified than Movie Bob, since taste is not an objective thing.
Everything is based on opinion, but Bob probably never gave it a chance, you know how some people watched the cartoon Alice when they were kids and then when they saw the trailer for this they were like "oooohhh, its bashing my child hood memories! its so ugly I dont like it!"
To be honest, as soon as I saw that Jonny Depp was in it I thought, "Oh for the love of god, not this again". I don't know why him and Burton don't just get married already. The whole gothic thing was great... 10 years ago. Now it's starting to wear incredibly thin.
Well you could say the same for Martin Scorsese and Leo

Dec 14, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:
Loved the special message. I've hated a lot of Tim Burton's movies expect for one. Sweeny Todd. And I've have yet to watch a Nightmare before Christmas and refuse too. Judging by your review, this is crap. Thank you moviebob

But in all seriousness, if I WAS to listen to a critic I'll listen to Ebert, a PROFESSIONAL who has spent his whole career (or at least a damn many years) reviewing movies, also don't listen to critics, go see the movie (theater or pirated) and judge for yourself, don't let other people decide for you, that's just fucking stupid
I laughed hard. You do know what a reviewer is right? Someone who gives an unbiased opinion on something after taking into consideration every aspect of something. A professional opinion giver is an oxymoron.
Well at least Ebert has some credentials (as in he's spent years doing it) but it seems bob hates a lot of movies and besides Tim Burton's Alice is the best live adaptation yet
Again, it's all based on opinion, no amount of 'professionalism' will change that. The reviewer you like is no more qualified than Movie Bob, since taste is not an objective thing.
Everything is based on opinion, but Bob probably never gave it a chance, you know how some people watched the cartoon Alice when they were kids and then when they saw the trailer for this they were like "oooohhh, its bashing my child hood memories! its so ugly I dont like it!"
To be honest, as soon as I saw that Jonny Depp was in it I thought, "Oh for the love of god, not this again". I don't know why him and Burton don't just get married already. The whole gothic thing was great... 10 years ago. Now it's starting to wear incredibly thin.
The difference there is that it isn't used as a crutch for his movies. While Burton and Depp on the other hand, attract every screaming fan-girl under the sun. People won't see the film because it's Alice, they'll see it for Depp.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:

The difference there is that it isn't used as a crutch for his movies. While Burton and Depp on the other hand, attract every screaming fan-girl under the sun. People won't see the film because it's Alice, they'll see it for Depp.
Well I simply used Martin and Leo as a example for Directors who always have their favourite actor in some if not all their movies, annnnd why are you saying fan girl? (im just wondering what girls have to do with it)

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
It's times like this that I recall a quote from Statler and Waldorf.

Waldorf: What's that sound?
Statler: I think that's Lewis Caroll (spelled right?) spinning in his grave.

Dec 14, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:

Well I simply used Martin and Leo as a example for Directors who always have their favourite actor in some if not all their movies, annnnd why are you saying fan girl? (im just wondering what girls have to do with it)
They fall into the same fandom as Twilight, the vast majority of Depp/Burton fans are screaming fan girls who, regarldess of Depp's peformance, will think it was the best piece of acting they've ever seen. Don't get me wrong, I give credit where credit is due, Nightmare Before Christmas was amazing (Lacking Jonny Depp oddly enough), but the kind of fans he draws are intolerable, for frankly, pretty average movies.

Racecar1994

Nov 21, 2009
I'm afraid I cannot agree with MovieBob on this one.

For me at least, there's an appeal in not just story from a movie, but the world it is grounded in. If the characters in a tale feel believable and likeable, who are living in a world that is different and unusual, then that can make a movie feel well and truly golden.

Tim Burton has some habits that are tiresome, for example his constant use of Johnny Depp and his obsession with his gothic niche, aswell as a clumsiness with stirring up a great story. In my eyes though, he's an intelligent man. I believe this because he does enough things right to pardon his hiccups. Let's take Alice and her amazing Wonderland for an example. Alice created Wonderland when she was a little girl; it's full of disgusting trifles like spitting and urine of an unpronouncable animal, along with impossible wonders like evapourating cats and talking animals. It expresses a kid fantasy in which they are the hero to save the day. Considering that Alice is older now though, she has had experiences in her life and has met people who stick out in her mind. For instance, there are two identical sisters constantly arguing with eachother over trivial things, and when you step into Wonderland, you'll instantly be able to se resemblances between two certain lookalikes. Coupled with this are noble-like figures with snobbish tendancies, a collection of suck-ups and yesmen who only serve to spare their heads being lopped off (obviously being the incarnation of the upper-class Alce has been around her teen years) aswell as british accents and traditions (hell, the Queen of Hearts is the Blackadder Elizabeth incarnate), and conversations and habits of the characters involved are of a distinct and unique yet human quality that they are an absolute delight to behold.

In short, if you're not entirely sure on this movie, all I can say is that you'll never truly know until you check it out. Don't let anybody (including me, mind) cloud your judgement on whether a movie/game/whatever is good or not because we are all different and of different tastes. We are human and we are unique. Let it show.

nomad240

Aug 13, 2008
I saw the movie and I liked it.

yeah there were some weird bits here and there like when Johnny Depp started to break dance at the end, but hey he's suppose to be nutter than a nutri-bar. Dormouse, March hare, and the ever so loveable dodo bird are voiced by soem great actors and what they do is relevent..

I liked it

Jabberwock is an awsome monster

I might go see it again.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:

They fall into the same fandom as Twilight, the vast majority of Depp/Burton fans are screaming fan girls who, regarldess of Depp's peformance, will think it was the best piece of acting they've ever seen. Don't get me wrong, I give credit where credit is due, Nightmare Before Christmas was amazing (Lacking Jonny Depp oddly enough), but the kind of fans he draws are intolerable, for frankly, pretty average movies.
Okay thank you very much kind sir, it explains a lot, and makes me less angry at bob, but to add im the kind of guy who found Plan 9 from Outer Space interesting and also is the kind of person who gets angry when they say something I like sucks and really bashes it like bob did, also off topic....what happened to plans 1 through 8???

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Racecar1994 said:
In short, if you're not entirely sure on this movie, all I can say is that you'll never truly know until you check it out. Don't let anybody (including me, mind) cloud your judgement on whether a movie/game/whatever is good or not because we are all different and of different tastes. We are human and we are unique. Let it show.
Couldn't have said it better. Just because someone has different tastes, dosen't mean your going to hate what they hate. Oh, and awesome display picture, is it Toy Story 2?

OT: No matter what anyone may say, I'm going to watch it, because Steven Fry is the cat. No better person for it.

Dec 14, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:

Okay thank you very much kind sir, it explains a lot, and makes me less angry at bob, but to add im the kind of guy who found Plan 9 from Outer Space interesting and also is the kind of person who gets angry when they say something I like sucks and really bashes it like bob did, also off topic....what happened to plans 1 through 8???
To be fair to Movie Bob, he has reasons for not liking it, the same as you having reasons to like. It's just a conflict of opinion at the end of the day. If you enjoyed the film then good for you, but it's for the reasons that Movie Bob mentioned that I wouldn't enjoy it.
At least this was an intelligent discussion, and I thank you for that.

Much better than the typical. "OMG!!!111ONEONE YOU KNOW LIKE JNNY DEEEPP??! YOU ID GAY!!!1111ONEONEONE"

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:

To be fair to Movie Bob, he has reasons for not liking it, the same as you having reasons to like. It's just a conflict of opinion at the end of the day. If you enjoyed the film then good for you, but it's for the reasons that Movie Bob mentioned that I wouldn't enjoy it.
At least this was an intelligent discussion, and I thank you for that.

Much better than the typical. "OMG!!!111ONEONE YOU KNOW LIKE JNNY DEEEPP??! YOU ID GAY!!!1111ONEONEONE"

But I'm also angry at the fact that after I watch a video review of Bob's or yahtzee's and then I see people be like "OMG! I'm SO glad I watched your review now I'll NEVER get it"

you know, the people who listen to other people without deciding for themselves, I suppose that's what started my rage but yeah thank you for not....okay well you didn't do anything wrong I suppose so I dont know what i can thank you for oh wait, thanks for explaining more

benbenthegamerman

May 10, 2009
maninahat said:
One of my favourites, besides the old disney cartoon, would be the 1999 NBC television film http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Wonderland_(1999_film). That one at least makes some reference to the fact that Alice through the Looking Glass is a seperate story(i.e - the sequel Tim Burton probably should have tried to make), rather than just lumping characters from either stories into one narrative.
i saw that movie in school. I thought it was kinda meh.

OT: not surprised one bit.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
But... but I was looking forward to seeing a good film and... and...
*sobs*
*pulls out gun and sticks it in mouth*

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
Dark Templar said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:

I DISAGREE WITH MOVIEBOB!!! FLAME FLAME FLAME!!!

Seriously, Moviebob's reviews are alwase thoughtful, intelligent, and completely to the point. He provides valid reasons why most people might not like this movie ad he does so in an intelligent manner like a professional. If you don't like him you don't have to watch or post here at all.

Oh and if you honestly thought Tim Burton's horrible movie was the best adaptation yet then you haven't seen American McGee's Alice. Or heck, even the disney movie was better than this.
Dark Templar said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:

I DISAGREE WITH MOVIEBOB!!! FLAME FLAME FLAME!!!

Seriously, Moviebob's reviews are alwase thoughtful, intelligent, and completely to the point. He provides valid reasons why most people might not like this movie ad he does so in an intelligent manner like a professional. If you don't like him you don't have to watch or post here at all.

Oh and if you honestly thought Tim Burton's horrible movie was the best adaptation yet then you haven't seen American McGee's Alice. Or heck, even the disney movie was better than this.
And to go more on what dark templar was saying. Why are you getting mad that people are listening to a review thats what they are for. Also if you took time to listen to movie bob he lists good thoughtful reasons why I movie is bad or good. But dont get mad at other peoples choices cause here is the thing there choices dont affect you.

Racecar1994

Nov 21, 2009
Hybridwolf said:
Racecar1994 said:
Couldn't have said it better. Just because someone has different tastes, dosen't mean your going to hate what they hate. Oh, and awesome display picture, is it Toy Story 2?

OT: No matter what anyone may say, I'm going to watch it, because Steven Fry is the cat. No better person for it.
Yep. Originally it was gonna be Buzz, but the pic was being stubborn for a while; then I noticed the creepy guy and remembered his laughably comic chicken suit. I figured that guy needed some luv <3

CloakedOne

Oct 1, 2009
Skeleon said:
Huh, as I actually like his take on Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, I might like this movie too, I guess.
His version was smarter and more up-to-date than the old one, I like the newer one too. I'm not saying i like it better, but I am saying that I liked that movie for different reasons. I am going to go see the new Alice in Wonderland because I like Burton's take on things. I'll probably like this one too.