Escape to the Movies: Alice in Wonderland

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
ma55ter_fett said:
The link apears to be broken.

Aparently if I had waited 30 seconds more the video would have finished being uploaded to the site, live and learn I guess.

Disapointed that the Bob thinks the movie sucked, I was kind of thinking of going to see it.
See it anyway. I never listen to Movie Bob myself, though I do rate his videos. I never listen to any critics, because at the end of the day half of them are biased anyway and all of them are simply spewing their own opinion. Movie Bob is great, but as a critic I never listen to what he says, because I make up my own opinion. I'll be seeing this film myself in a few weeks with friends, provided nothing comes up before then, and I like pretty much all of Tim Burton's work so far, when a lot of people don't (for some reason). Watch this anyway and make up your own mind. Don't let the critics tell you what to see and what not to see. Otherwise, what makes you any better than the sort of people who spout out Yahtzee quotes and proclaim Halo and Gears of War are Teh Gayzorz and have no mind of their own?

[small](I understand Yahtzee and Movie Bob are different. But my point still stands...)[/small]

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Oh my god, I fucking hate this show.

1. Stop ripping off ZP
2. Stop playing the sound clip from the start over the top of current audio at 1:40.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
wait, I thought it was based off of American McGee's "Alice". well, that was the only bit of interest I had in it, so I really don't care. why does he have a broadsword anyway?

karmapolizei

Sep 26, 2008
This is... interesting. I will definitely go see the movie anyway though.

But, more importantly..

Seriouly, the "new" player is messed up.

I get it guys. You want us to look at advertisments to make money of your video series. I respect that, and it's deserved. But could you make it in a way that does not screw up video rendering on slow machines? Try watching this on a netbook in battery mode, and you'll see what a mess this is.

Now, I shall report my own post to get myself heard.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
A battle sequence? The Madhatter with a broadsword?...???

0o

Loved the Hot Topic joke at the end though...lol

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
Odd, the majority of reviews I've read are saying it's quite O.K. And Stephen Fry is in it, which just demands watching.

I don't think MovieBob is looking for attention, I just think he's very opinonated and pasionate. Plus annoying any side of a big argument is hilarious.

tomwebster15

Mar 5, 2010
This whole movie just seemed like a piece of self-indulgent crap, Just like every other Tim Burton movie, save for a few (Nightmare Before Christmas, Sweeney Todd, Edward Scissorhands.)
Tim Burton has said he's planning to redo his old movie "Frankenweenie." Now that could be good. Don't let him slaughter another childrens classic!!!

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
Hey, Moviebob! I disagree with half of your reviews and that is perfectly fine.

I don't get angry when reading through the http://www.rottentomatoes.com/ So I don't have any negative feelings for your criticisms because I know what that means.

I liked Charlie and the chocolate factory until I realized that Depp was the focus of the story and not charlie. Sweeney Todd wasn't bad just really predictable; I refuse to watch Avatar since I have strong feelings against bestiality(Zoophilia); And the sarcasm that you showed in the first seconds of this new clip was quite funny.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Well, seeing this I hope that when American Mcgee makes his movie "Oz", Tim Burton won't be asked to direct; Clive Barker however...

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Dexiro said:
I thought that was an awesome movie, at least compared to the old one.
Not that I'm saying the old one was bad, i loved that too, but the remake added more a ton more personality and exploration.
I know you tried to make up for it, and I do appreciate that...but still...=(

lol

Johann Goethe said:
So his main argument is that while it looks very nice, it's let down by a clichéd plot?
His argument was they turned Alice in Wonderland into Narnia/LOTR, that's all I needed to hear to know the movie is bad....=/

You could argue how Avatar was turned into Dances with Wolves, but Avatar's story hasn't been around for almost 150 years.....you're bastardizing the work by giving it a facelift like that....=/

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Aura Guardian said:
Loved the special message. I've hated a lot of Tim Burton's movies expect for one. Sweeny Todd. And I've have yet to watch a Nightmare before Christmas and refuse too. Judging by your review, this is crap. Thank you moviebob
What about Beetlejuice, Batman (1989, yes, the one with Jack Nicholson as the joker), Batman Returns, Ed Wood and Planet of the Apes (2001)? Those were all pretty good IMO. Especially Ed Wood, that was such an awesome movie if you're an Ed Wood fan.

It just bugs me how people hate on Burton but disregard every movie he's made before 2005.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I could see it coming... I could tell that it would be a "Oh look, I'm creepy!" Tim Burton movie where he tries too hard to make a Tim Burton movie. Also, I would be able to stand the amount of 13 year old girls flooding the theater to go see it...

Sep 17, 2009
I knew it! I like Tim Burton (sometimes), but I had a feeling this would have been bad.

But Bob, how was the acting? Yes, Burton over-uses Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, but you can't deny they are both great actors.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
All reviews are worth exactly as much as the arguments they present to back up their observations, which is why these capsules are inherently worthless if seen as serious works of criticism. Which is fine, because they are amusing.

That said, I am bemused, if not surprised, that Bob thinks the original Lewis Carroll novel is "whimsical".

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I knew well ahead of time that this movie wasn't going to be what everyone makes it up to be. Oh sure, I was excited to hear Burton's weird-ass adapt the story of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. But the more I saw the trailers, the more I realize how full of sh*t the film was. When I go to see a movie about the titular character, I want to see that character. Not the best friend of the director, nor his damn wife. Hell, Tim Burton may as well have married Johnny Depp, just to make it official.

I still plan to see this movie, but I'm going to wait until I get a chance to catch the matinee. There's no way I'm paying full price for it.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
Loved the special message. I've hated a lot of Tim Burton's movies expect for one. Sweeny Todd. And I've have yet to watch a Nightmare before Christmas and refuse too. Judging by your review, this is crap. Thank you moviebob
You know it's not even a Tim Burton movie, right?

It was just produced by him

IshFish

Sep 17, 2009
Was it just me or was the mad hatters split personality William Wallice (aka braveheart)?

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Aura Guardian said:

I think you mean "Judging by your review, you are crap. Thank you bob"

But in all seriousness, if I WAS to listen to a critic I'll listen to Ebert, a PROFESSIONAL who has spent his whole career (or at least a damn many years) reviewing movies, also don't listen to critics, go see the movie (theater or pirated) and judge for yourself, don't let other people decide for you, that's just fucking stupid
I agree. Don't let other people decide what you like for you. People seem to be so afraid of losing their "super indie, I only watch/play/do good shit all the time and I must look down on anyone who likes anything that is not perfect" persona's that they ending just seeming like stuck up, condescending assholes. It's really rather sad.

I don't think that Moviebob said all the bad things he said in last weeks review just to create controversy, I think that he truly believes it and feels that way. It's just that it seems very closed minded and limiting to oneself to have an attitude like that and it really has made me not look at him as an objective movie reviewer anymore.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
I was looking forward to this, not I'm havinh second thoughts. Still going to see it, but now it might be via DVD.