Escape to the Movies: Alice in Wonderland

RestamSalucard

Feb 26, 2010
RJ Dalton said:
I'll just say this, if the majority of the public don't see the flaws (which you don't have to be a film critic to see they don't), then it's subtle. There's nothing one man can say to change that. Our personal grievances with the films flaws can make them strong or severe or just irritating, nothing more. That said, Batman was a very important milestone in our culture, without it we would not have the Diniverse or the Dark Knight or mainstream Superhero movies in general. It just wasn't a good "Batman" film or a good adaptation in general.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
RestamSalucard said:
I'll just say this, if the majority of the public don't see the flaws (which you don't have to be a film critic to see they don't), then it's subtle.
Oh, I didn't say that Batman wasn't a milestone. The first Batman did a number of things right and most of its mistakes are fairly subtle and the darker tone of his films was a hell of a lot better than what Schummer did with it. The second one was overtly very badly done and, in fact, most people watching notice the glaring problems with Batman Returns on a second watch if not right away; it's just that there were a lot of things in it he did really well, which makes it hard to just dismiss the film out of hand unless you're a hardcore Batman fan who demands total adherence to the comic book universe (a rather silly thing to be, because the DC universe, like most comic book universes, is full of obvious contradictions, inconsistencies and general ridiculousness). Furthermore Burton has a huge, extremely vocal following of emos and goths who will drink from the toilet he pisses in just because he's Tim Burton and since they make the most noise, you tend to think of them as representing the general opinion. It's the salience bias, the same one that makes airplane crashes seem so much more horrifying than car crashes; more people die at one time, so airplanes get seen as more dangerous than driving.

SecondmateFlint

Nov 24, 2009
ritchards said:
How does it compare to this Alice version http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1461312/ in which an Alice returns to Wonderland, supposedly the "best Alice in Wonderland film evah!"
Quite literally, as I clicked that an ad for the new Alice in Wonderland starring JOHNNY DEPP AND NO ONE ELSE popped up.

OT: I don't mind Johnny Depp but I am personally so tired of this Burton/Depp/Carter "clique" that seems to be gumming up Hollywood currently. I called this a little while ago: A movie called ALICE in Wonderland would be all about Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter.

I had NO idea Anne Hathaway was in it! She's one of my favorite actresses and she is receiving such little credit for this movie. Oh well, maybe that's for the better...

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
I'm going to see on Sunday. Much as I like MovieBob's reviews, I'm still looking forward to it, as Tim Burton is one of my favourite directors. Shame you didn't think it worked, but I'm intrigued with what Burton's done to Wonderland...

Plus, I quite liked Willy Wonka. It was fun and something you could just chill to. It also made me laugh. At the end of the day, that's all I want in a film :)

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
I am honestly not going to touch this one with a ten foot pole. I am going to have to see it because of my girlfriend but I honestly could care less. If your serious they turned it into a giant battle between good and evil they can piss off. I was rather just excited to just have that nutty adventure through Wonderland Tim Burton style. Even if they pulled off a Wizard of Oz and just walk to some castle.

Alice in Wonderland is great because of the setting and the characters. But I seriously cannot imagine it being imagined like this. I just cant. It would be the LAST place I would take the story. A giant war between good and evil. Good wins, can I go home yet?

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
wow...ok I get that you didnt like the movie, I understand that...but what I dont understand is that you thought Anne Hathaway was GOOD in the movie!!!!!WHAT!?

Anne Hathaway as the white queen was the worst part in the whole movie. Everything about her seemed forced to me, with her arms always held in 'fairy mode' even when she was using them for something was VERY annoying for me. I didnt like her character one bit.

I also dont see why everyone thinks shes hot, her mouth takes up half her goddam face! Tim Burton actually drew even further attention to her mouth with the deep red lipstick...she would be good at giving BJ's but kissing her would be like getting your face sucked off.

Johnny Depp wasnt that great either, he acted kinda like a cross between his Jack Sparrow and Willy Wonka characters. Hes great as Jack Sparrow in pirates, his Willy Wonka character sucked balls compared to Gene Wilders.

However, Helena Bonham Carter's character as the Red Queen stole the show for me. Her acting was fantastic! I wanted more scenes involving the Red Queen because she just nailed that role. The other miscellanious cast were also great! Crispin Glover as the knave of hearts was another stand-out character.

Overall, I tought the movie was pretty good but definitely not Tim Burtons best and definitely not a movie that I could watch over and over again without getting bored (like I can with Hot Fuzz and The Incredibles).

Ninja Tank

May 19, 2009
I just love how the everyone is going crazy over a book that was written by a pedo doing drugs. I love random facts your teachers tell you

Lethithan

Nov 11, 2008
So nobody is blaming Disney? I can see them having a few things to say about how Burton should have made this movie.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
Personally, I can't stand that all his movies are associated with Hot Topic. *shiver*
Johnny Depp + a little gothicness = one hell of a cash cow for associated products.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
Moriarty70 said:
This review has now prompted me to dig out American McGee's Alice this weekend and have some fun with a psycho totally leagal gal dealing with the death of her family.
Definitely my favourite adaptation of the story. One of the creepiest yet also funniest games I've ever played.

The impresion I got from the trailer was "looks pretty cool, but WTF is the Mad Hatter doing with a sword?" Sounds like I wasn't far off.

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
I just saw it. I have to say it wasn't great, but it was an ok movie. The way I would put it is if you liked Narnia then you will like this.

Panda Mania

Jul 1, 2009
Aw man. Well, I'll still go see it, but I'm disappointed in Tim Burton for giving into the masses and mainstreaming the downright trippy, wandering, unpredictable tale that is Alice in Wonderland. He took out all the battyness and turned it into a good-versus-evil fantasy minion? For shame, sir. I guess there's always his other films to enjoy. On a side note, I enjoyed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory purely for the contrast with the old Gene Wilder movie.
LiquidGrape said:
- Sweeney Todd, by the way, was Burton's most drab and uninspired film to date.
After my initial "NOOOOO ST CAN DO NO SIN" reaction, I realized with a deathly gasp that this is probably true. Oh fu-.......... johnny still makes the sexiest sweeney in history -_-;

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Wait what? I thought this was going to be Alice in Wonderland, not Chronicles of fucking Narnia. What the hell?

And just as I predicted, this movie turned out to be 80% Johnny Depp. He's a good actor, but he's not THAT fucking good, people. Especially since he's played the same fucking role (and that stupid fucking voice he does) since Ed Wood, with Pirates being the only exception. I guess having a hardon for repetition is the norm these days, which would explain why Jack Black, Michael Cera and Will Ferrel still have careers.

Oh, and Burton? American McGee already beat you to making a decent sequel to Alice. Maybe you should have looked into that before you put all that time and money into this shit.

EDIT: Whoa, I saw this last night with some friends, and I have to say: This wasn't nearly as horrible as Bob was making out to be. It was a pretty "okay" movie, and a lot of the things he nitpicked were heavily exaggerated. Depp and Carter weren't overpowering over the lead role like this video claims, and Depp's acting leaned closer to Sparrow than it did Charlie.

Now, having said that, I still say that American McGee's take on a dark and gritty Alice was far superior than this movie. I'm serious, if you're reading this right now GO PLAY THIS GAME.

NeuroticMarshmallow

Nov 18, 2009
To be honest,I actually quite liked the Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. But it is your review,not mine

This film met expectation. I was expecting it to be just ok.

All in All,as far as classic characters returning the roots,"Hook" takes the cake. I do love that movie,even though the critics killed that one.
Its also interesting that they casted Crispin Glover. All I can ever seem him as is George Mcfly. Thus all scenes with him in it just made me laugh.

Also,am I the only one who is pissed that Tim Burton's films have become this annoying Hot Topic/Emo fodder? A director who has impressive films under his belt have these annoying psuedo-depressed teenagers who use his films as a fashion statement. They stole Night Before Christmas from us all.

"even with Johny Depp in it (most overrated actor in the whole world)"

I think the right word is overused. Imo this man is a good actor. There are shitty actors who get far more praise (and money) then he does.

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
I dunno, I think I have the same problem with moviebob as I do with just about any film critic. They know a bit too much about films.

It's kinda like how a composer has trouble enjoying a concert because he knows when the nots are coming out flat and the tempo gets off. I can't understand how critics see movies because i can't think like they do. If anything I think it's a blessing.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
NeuroticMarshmallow said:
Its also interesting that they casted Crispin Glover. All I can ever seem him as is George Mcfly. Thus all scenes with him in it just made me laugh.
I'll give Burton (and Depp) a lot of credit for casting Glover, given his participation in the MERCILESS parody of Depp's Wonka he did in "Epic Movie" (the ONLY remotely funny part of that movie.)

MaraJade03

Jan 14, 2010
Watching this while watching Tim Burton and Johnny Depp on "Friday night with Jonathon Ross" it's making me confused >_<.
Have to say that it might be a very poor movie, but I'm still going to see it. Just cause it's Alice, and I like watching all the different Alice interpretations. I think my Favorite is from the 70's the one with Ringo Starr as the mock turtle and Sammy Davis Jr. as the Caterpillar, and a slew of more stars from back then.

Divock

Sep 29, 2009
I would like to say that after seeing the movie, I found it quite entertaining. I'd like to point out that even though something just about surreal and odd characters apparently worked for the animated Disney film and the original source (which I have neither seen nor read respectively), I'd like to question WHY doing something like this is a bad idea. I remember when people said that remakes were supposed to be about remaining faithful to the source material without completely copying it. While this wasn't a remake per-say, it was more of a sequel, it at least is doing something new. At least a lot of the characters are interesting. You know what, why even bother talking about it as a remake. Shouldn't a movie be judged on its own?

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
RestamSalucard said:
SomeUnregPunk said:
I refuse to watch Avatar since I have strong feelings against bestiality(Zoophilia);
What does Beastiality have to do with anything? You can't be talking about the yoo-hoo between two consenting communicative adults.

Or are you just racist?
No I'm not racist. The blue aliens in that movie is not another race of humans.