Escape to the Movies: Alice in Wonderland

SpaceSpork

May 15, 2009
No. Just . . . Just fail. MovieBob, you fail.
EDIT: I literally facepalmed.
HOW THE FUCK COULD YOU NOT LIKE THIS MOVIE?!!? Jesus Christ, Bob! I thought you were better than this! I thought you supported creative imaginative film making!
I am disappoint, MovieBob. I am very disappoint.

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
AlternatePFG said:
Ugh, I was looking forward to this to. Seriously, why couldn't make a faithful adaptation to story and call it day?
The problem is as MovieBob says there simply is not much story in "Alice in Wonderland" to adapt; it *is* mostly Alice wandering around dealing with what amounts to a madhouse run by the inmates.

While its its official sequel "Through the looking Glass" has something more of a plot and a goal--it is almost a surreal coming of age book as Alice goes from Pawn (young girl) to Queen (young woman) even it jumps around a bit.

A big problem is other than Alice being involved in both and them having the same author there is NO connection between the two books though adaptations for some reason like to shove the two in a blender and mix them together. The result as expected makes about as much sense as the Hatter's tea party; if anything it makes LESS sense then "Alice in Wonderland" on its own does.

"Through the looking Glass" lends itself more to the action genre but again NONE of the Wonderland characters appear and people are more familiar with them than those in the later book.

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
ma55ter_fett said:
The link apears to be broken.

Aparently if I had waited 30 seconds more the video would have finished being uploaded to the site, live and learn I guess.

Disapointed that the Bob thinks the movie sucked, I was kind of thinking of going to see it.
Go see it. It is much better than he's making it out to be.

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
Yeah, I've got to say I completely disagree with you there Bob. I thought this movie was stellar, not as a Tim Burton movie, as just a good adaptation in general. I didn't find the story at all to be, as you put it, "on autpilot." It's actually impressive how well the story turned out for this, and I love how you merely gleamed over the visuals. Burton managed to recreate the feel and atmosphere of a book into a movie, that's incredibly difficult to pull off, especially when the book itself relies heavily on imagery as its main narrative pull.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Well, reading everyone;s comments, I'd say just about everyone disagrees. On top of that, even though you were putting the movie down, you just made me want to see it even more. As a hardcore Alice fan & a hardcore Burton fan, there's pretty much zero chance of me disliking this in any way, so by bias is preset.

I can wonder what kind of review you'll have for "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies" when its movie comes out :mad:

This is starting to sound like a blend of "Alice Through the Looking Glass," "American McGee's Alice", "Looking Glass Wars" & "The Marvelous Land of Oz."

I liked Charlie & the Chocolate Factory too, ONLY the music was terrible (ungodly terrible).

It focuses more on the Hatter than Alice? About damn time. He was always my favorite. & he has a sword? It's like an RPG fantasy come true *_*

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
EnigmaHarper said:
Charlie is not his worst movie, though it is on the bottom. I wish to serve up a tasty tidbit called Planet of the Apes. What a horrible movie!

Wait, THE Planet of the Apes? That was a Tim Burton movie? Cause if it was, he struck gold with that. That movie was spectacular, I don't care what you say.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
blakfayt said:
I CALLED IT! two weeks ago I was sitting down to dinner with the family, my sister said that she wanted to see the new alice in wonderland movie, she's a burton fan (and she's 12!) I told her it was going to be sheed because it isn't the amazing third sequel I want (I DEMAND here and now that there be a movie of American McGee's alice, I would BUY that film) and that any critic with a decent head on his/her shoulders would know it. So thank you moviebob, and an even bigger thank you for making master chief slightly standable.
According to American McGee's blog, now that Spicey Horse is making a 2ed Alice Game, EA Games is all for an Alice movie.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
dashiz94 said:
EnigmaHarper said:
Charlie is not his worst movie, though it is on the bottom. I wish to serve up a tasty tidbit called Planet of the Apes. What a horrible movie!

Wait, THE Planet of the Apes? That was a Tim Burton movie? Cause if it was, he struck gold with that. That movie was spectacular, I don't care what you say.
He's probably referring to the CG-enhanced remake. And I did not know he was involved in that at all.

Also, Bob... BEST... INTRO... EVER! Seriously, I was in tears at that. Too bad the movie doesn't sound as good...

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
blakfayt said:
likalaruku said:
blakfayt said:
I CALLED IT! two weeks ago I was sitting down to dinner with the family, my sister said that she wanted to see the new alice in wonderland movie, she's a burton fan (and she's 12!) I told her it was going to be sheed because it isn't the amazing third sequel I want (I DEMAND here and now that there be a movie of American McGee's alice, I would BUY that film) and that any critic with a decent head on his/her shoulders would know it. So thank you moviebob, and an even bigger thank you for making master chief slightly standable.
According to American McGee's blog, now that Spicey Horse is making a 2ed Alice Game, EA Games is all for an Alice movie.
WHOOOOOOO! you have just made my night! now if only we can find someone other than Tim to direct... anyone know of any directors who do a good job at gory, gothic stuff?
As long as it isn't Micheal Bay. That would be an instant ruin. Actually, it's not likely to come out for many years, but I suspect that if this Alice movie makes enough money, the AMA movie could be seen as a potential box office cash cow, once the rights to the movie stop square dancing between different studeos. Probably the same with "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies."

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Bob sure can take a punch. I wouldn't be surprised if he reads all

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
his critcs' comments while sitting on a bigass chair going
"HAHAHA! YOUR PETTY INSULTS ARE NOTHING!!!"

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
When you said Alice gets a sword, I thought you would of went straight for a She-Ra joke, oh well. Great review as always.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
wow, I hadn't even heard of the LotR battles before this review. I thought it was going to be a somewhat pretentious attempt to make a "sequel" to the classic story, but instead we get Burton having the Mad Hat-uh, Alice and the Red Queen trying to be Sauron and Aragorn. Lewis Carroll must be spinning in his grave at high speed right this moment. If Burton really wanted to do something different he should have adapted Through the Looking Glass.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Considering how I liked both "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and "American McGee's Alice", I'll definitely watch it anyway.

what.twitch

Jan 15, 2010
I actually went to see this before I saw the review. Huh. Just goes to show that me and moviebob are still having and on-again, off-again similarity in movie tastes. I really liked this movie a lot.