Escape to the Movies: Alice in Wonderland

aninsclone

Apr 13, 2009
To everyone who has yet to see this film:

Bob's review has many valid points, and indeed, if you're looking for a movie that has a wonderful plot and well-developed characters, you will be sorely disappointed.

However, that's not to say that this movie is entirely without merit. I watched the movie today and found it rather enjoyable. Yes, it's a little schizophrenic, and yes, it's entirely predictable, but for some reason, it all comes together rather well. As Bob said, the light sprinkling of CG all over the place makes for some lovely effects, and it actually manages to make an interesting atmosphere for the movie.

If you're up in the air still about seeing it or not, I suggest giving it a chance. Who knows? You might actually find you enjoy it.

Huxlee

Mar 6, 2010
So Bob, am I to understand that, by and large, this is like Avatar? I mean in it having pretty CGI, camera and editing but a horrible script and terrible characters? Because then I will watch it 3D, as that seems to make Avatar much better yes? Or is this worst just because it lacks a certain... robotness?

NeoShinGundam

May 2, 2009
Actually, that whole Master Chief thing sounds like something that Hideaki Anno would have made for "Halo Legends." After all, its got everything he likes: goth-loli fashion, random Christian ideology, a bleak world-view, cool looking robot protagonist. I'm surprised it wasn't already made!

TankCopter

Jul 8, 2009
Well that's wondrous, a movie I'll probably never get to see anyway because we don't have a cinema this time of year where I live.

I might see it if I get chance, just because the visuals interest me, but that's only if there's nothing better around when I head into the city.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
gilgamesh32 said:
Wasn't the whole "Alice returns to wonderland, hell has broken loose" thing already done in a videogame? With a similar setup, similar visual style and the same villan? Or did I just dream that...

Still, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory>Planet of the apes every day.
Yes, its called american Mcgees alice.

OT: I may still go and see the movie cuase at then end of the day it just when he thought of it right?

minnull

Feb 10, 2010
The only Tim Burton movie I really like is Ed Wood. ESH is a good movie but Ed Wood is an underrated masterpiece.

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
One day, several cookies deleted and several other escapist movies watched later, and I still can't find out why I can't watch this video!

303: Failed to load a resource: Unable to load resources: Error #2036

Could anyone please help?

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Eh, I'm still gonna see it today or Tomorow I don't have conventional tastes I go to a movie to be entertained not for it to be faithful to anything as long as its entertaining for me it don't gotta be faithful.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
An honest opinion, finally. God. I feel like I've been alone in my thoughts that this was just like what Burton did with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The movie isn't bad. I enjoyed some of it. But I was reeeeeeally disappointed with how it seemed like a lot of the elements of the story were taken directly from other action movies. Autobot vs Decepticons. Man. That hits the nail on the head for me. Perfect description. In all fairness though, the book was extremely weird and random, so I guess you have to take it for what it is. Thanks for the honesty Movie Bob. I don't feel so alone anymore. *sniff*

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Your opening to this one was classic. People don't understand that you say what you want to when you review. Which is exactly why I watch you every week without fail. Even when I disagree with you (Star Trek, The Book Of Eli) I still respect your opinion and the honesty with which it's given. Keep it up Bob! If I want smarmy industry speak I'll go read some A.O. Scott reviews from the New York Times film section. I dig your reviews because they're intelligent but still pack the punch of being about seeing a movie that is entertaining. Just the right balance of everyman and film critic. :)

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
I was kind of looking forward to this but you've done me a great service by saving this poor old student some money.

Also, that bit about Master Chief at the beginning cracked me up.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
That's not lolita .... it's cheap, lacy piece of shit outfit that goes for 50 bucks in a Harajuku sidestreet. Geeze .. can't people tell the difference?

And it's not even gothic sub-genre of lolita even if it WAS a decent outfit.

Bad showing Bob ... stick to analysing movies. :p

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
aninsclone said:
To everyone who has yet to see this film:

Bob's review has many valid points, and indeed, if you're looking for a movie that has a wonderful plot and well-developed characters, you will be sorely disappointed.
Great! That's what I look for in a good movie. Well at least I'm not paying to see it tommorow :p

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Another Tim Burton crap-fest that all the emo douche bag wannabes will jump all over. Seriously, Nightmare Before Christmas was brilliant, then all the Twilight-esque fangirls jumped all over it and now I get a bad taste in my mouth If I so much as consider watching it.

You shouldn't stop watching something good just because of its fans.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Another Tim Burton crap-fest that all the emo douche bag wannabes will jump all over. Seriously, Nightmare Before Christmas was brilliant, then all the Twilight-esque fangirls jumped all over it and now I get a bad taste in my mouth If I so much as consider watching it.

You shouldn't hate something just because of its fans.
Well I don't know ... it's kinda hard to say "Hey look ... Alicei n Wonderland" and then not actually have Alice in Wonderland .... that's like getting a jasmine tea when you asked for a latte at Starbucks.

I'll still go see it, but if Burton has bastardized both Alice in Wonderland AND Through the looking glass I would hope that millions would boycott every other film he has made till the day he dies.

From the trailer and MB's critique it seems like they've even taken Tweedledee and Tweedledum ...

Gotta question Tim Burton's ability to even create a cogent book-to-film adapatation.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
PaulH said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Well I don't know ... it's kinda hard to say "Hey look ... Alicei n Wonderland" and then not actually have Alice in Wonderland .... that's like getting a jasmine tea when you asked for a latte at Starbucks.
I was refering to Nightmare Before Christmas. He didn't HATE it (poor choice of words on my part), but he doesn't want to watch it again.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
LOOKING AT BOB..

Nice video, i never wanted to see Alice anyway since Charlie and the chocy factory made me rage. Saying that im a fan of 4D and effects, so i might have a gander at some point.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
PaulH said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Daystar Clarion said:

I was refering to Nightmare Before Christmas. He didn't HATE it (poor choice of words on my part), but he doesn't want to watch it again.
NP dude o.o Took your words out of context, for that I apologize ... but I still say Tim Burton should die horribly if Tweedledee and Tweedledum are in there ...

What else is in the movie? Rippling brooks and a knight who falls of his horse all the time?

I feel my childhood dying savagely :.: The problem is I want to watch the movie to see what's GOOD ... yet deny Tim Burton my hard-earned dollars for his gross dissection of childhood classics......

Seriously ... horrible adaptations of children's classic literature should be a punishable offence.