Escape to the Movies: Battleship

Garfy

Nov 6, 2009
RTR said:
Nobody actually says "the line"?
That's kinda bullshit
It shows how unironicly thay must play it if they didn't include the line.
I mean, if you are stuck with calling your movie 'Battleship' you HAVE to say the line.

tensorproduct

Jun 30, 2011
I have to say, the scene where they managed to cram enough ridiculous exposition and wildly implausible plot twists that the "heroes" has to play Battleship was by a wide margin the best in the whole movie. Still not any good, but it verged on having tension. Almost.

I'm surprised that the US Navy were okay with the final cut of the movie. With the exception of hero-worshipping the real-life veterans in the final act, Battleship made the Navy look terrible. Like, completely and utterly incompetent. It's baffling how someone with as little discipline or even basic knowledge of military hierarchy as Taylor Kitsch's character made Lieutenant. The only half way sensible naval officer involved in the plot was Japanese.

While the military in Transformers bore little resemblance to reality, at least they looked cool.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
MiB3 might be terrible but god damn every time I hear MiB their awesome theme song gets stuck in my mind.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow even you think the upcoming Batman show could be bad? Either way surely it can't be as bad as Ultimate Spiderman.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
Don't care much about Battleship and Bob pretty much confirmed everything I was thinking about it. Men in Black though was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid, I was looking forward to putting my nostalgia glasses on. I'm gunna be so sad if it sucks :/

Tel_Windzan

Dec 18, 2008
Qitz said:
Battleship would have been 10,000X better if the bad guys were actually giant red pins that had to strike each other a specific number of times to make them exploderate.

At least then it would be funny.
I agree! I kept looking at the trailers, thinking they were kind of dull, with maybe the only interesting thing was the construction of the grinder-cannonballs I saw in one trailer. But then I would see the yellow peg missiles I guess the aliens had and I kind of chuckled at that. It's a pity they never went further with the idea.

Also, Battleship sunk my interest for not including that "line". Well, sunk it lower, as I am probably only going to watch it when it comes to my local library or something.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Liam Neeson has a lifetime pass to do anything he wants in cinema because of Schindler's List? I am perfectly fine with that he can make as many Takens and other silly action movies he likes.

Also MiB3 will be terrible just like MiB2.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
tensorproduct said:
I have to say, the scene where they managed to cram enough ridiculous exposition and wildly implausible plot twists that the "heroes" has to play Battleship was by a wide margin the best in the whole movie. Still not any good, but it verged on having tension. Almost.

I'm surprised that the US Navy were okay with the final cut of the movie. With the exception of hero-worshipping the real-life veterans in the final act, Battleship made the Navy look terrible. Like, completely and utterly incompetent. It's baffling how someone with as little discipline or even basic knowledge of military hierarchy as Taylor Kitsch's character made Lieutenant. The only half way sensible naval officer involved in the plot was Japanese.

While the military in Transformers bore little resemblance to reality, at least they looked cool.
It's only O-3. The hardest part about rank in the Navy is either getting a commission, or trying to make O-4 or above. Once you have a commission making LT isn't hard.

DaveSull

Nov 19, 2009
The fact that Taylor Kitsch's character clearly started a war with a group of aliens accidentally crashing into out planet was definitely my favourite part of that movie.

DaveSull

Nov 19, 2009
They kind of say the line. One of the old veterans that shows up at the end yells "they are not going to sink this battleship".
I thought it was funny that they played with people's expectations.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Battleships, Damn.
I think he was referring to "You sunk my battleship" but, man...when I read that in Rush's voice that just makes it awesome.

captcha: taken aback

Somewhat.

Tel_Windzan

Dec 18, 2008
Dastardly said:
And then we get "the line" -- "I'm sick of these mothaf***n' Battleships on my mothaf***n' coordinate plane!"
If someone actually did said that in the movie, I would be happy with that line. Unfortunately, we are not lucky enough for it...

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Quiet Stranger said:
What's his problem with Men in Black 3?
MIB 3 has basically everythin workin against it right now. The reason they even started shootin it was, and I quote "Everyone was finally free and we didn't know when that would happen again" so they started filmin. They had absolutely no script when they did this and simply said fuck it we'll figure it out as we go.

That doesn't necessarily mean it absolutely will be bad, but it does put a lot of doubt on the movie.

tensorproduct

Jun 30, 2011
vxicepickxv said:
It's only O-3. The hardest part about rank in the Navy is either getting a commission, or trying to make O-4 or above. Once you have a commission making LT isn't hard.
Okay, you clearly know far more about this than me. I would have thought that things like showing up late, hungover and improperly dressed to a formal event and starting fist-fights with superior officers would be a bigger deal... but I'm definitely ***puts on shades*** out of my depth

Yeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Maybe Men In Black 3 will just be "so bad it's stupidly funny" bad instead of "skinny-dipping in a pirahna tank" bad.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I know this may sound odd but...does anyone think this is one of MovieBob's best reviews as of late? Okay, it's clear he doesn't like the movie (which is fine) but he's not overly bashing it or overly praising it like he does some other films.

He discusses the ups and the downs, he talks about the folks who worked on it, he makes some comparisons to other movies (actually he made comparisons to a lot of movies, I kinda wanna count how many times he references another movie in this video)

Overall, this is what I like to see from Escape to the Movies. Obviously I don't wanna see Battleship (I didn't even before watching this) but I am glad to have watched this video to help cement that thought.

Thank you, MovieBob.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
THEY DON'T SAY THE LINE!!!! That's like doing a transformers movie without the theme song playing in the credits.....oh wait.

Also at 5:23, WTF am I looking at?

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Man, the only reason I had any interest in this since it was announced is that I wanted to here Liam Neeson angrily yell "You sunk My Battleship!"

Seriously he has to try and throw in a Halo reference with these types of movies just to remind us how 'generic' and 'dumb' he feels Halo is. Show us on the Doll where Master Chief touched you.