Escape to the Movies: Battleship

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
"the Blockbuster Zeitgeist"
I am stealing this, Bob. It has so much meaning packed into a tiny package. It explains so much.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
That Batman thing looks awful, they should stick to animation and not digital animation. Know why? Oh just all those animated movies and shows of the past and present FUCKING RULE

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Battleships, Damn.

Sometimes it's called conventional wisdom for a reason Bob. After seeing The Avengers, this movie must have seemed like it was suffering from Turrets Syndrome.
That was just awful, and I love you for it.

Okay, I did not expect Battleship to be in anyway good, but to hear its THAT bad makes me sad. No, I wasn't going to see it, but it could have pulled a "Pirates of the Carribean" and been a pretty damn awesome movie based off of a really silly idea.

Also, I WANT Men in Black 3 to be good. I really really do.

It won't, but I really wish it could be...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Credit insert 1: We're all concerned about "Beware the Batman" Bob, you are not alone. Looks like they're trying to mix the dark edgy "Animated Series" vibe with the more lighthearted tone and silliness of "Brave and the Bold". Both great shows on their own merits, but not something that should be mixed. Kinda like "Hey, you got chocolate in my Preperation H! No, you got Preperation H in my chocolate!"

Credit insert 2: That is a shame. Truly.
They already tried mixing Dark Batman with Goofy Batman, in The Batman. It was halfway decent, with a really neat take on the Joker, but it didn't quite pan out.

seiler88

Feb 22, 2011
You know what the sad thing is?

Some dumbass exec is going to be looking at this next to The Avengers and not be able to figure out what went wrong.

New pointless hope: This will be such a disaster that it will finally jar Hollywood out of this whole endless licensed movie kick.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
Zombine3D said:
Is "Iron Sky" banned in USA for showing the country in a bad light?
It just isn't coming out here. Movies havent been banned in the u.s in 90 years.(outside of a few cities.)

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
I was kinda with Bob on this one, I was rooting for this movie to be good. But I will say I'm glad the Navy got some spotlight. I was going to pass this up, but the whole bit about "Ageing vets rearming a Battleship to help fight" Kinda makes me wanna go see it, just for that part!

XD

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Since the trailers did everything they could to make Battleship look like Transformers I was praying to the movie gods that it would fail. Not because I dislike anyone connected to the movie but Hollywood likes to emulate what sells tickets and they tend to avoid the things that failed. We really need the failure of some pants on head retarded movies to break Hollywood from the cycle of bad movies just to cash in on the brain dead people who only need special effects to be entertained.

I think I might go watch Avengers again this weekend just for the chance that someone in Hollywood would get the idea of more movies like Avengers instead of crap adaptions that only seem to share the names with the original property.

Also if Liam "Release the Kracken" Neeson doesn't get to say the line for Battleship then it's just an unforgivable offense.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
You don't know how disappointed that is to hear. I mean, they had the pegs! The PEGS! It would of been such an easy line to add in. One ship goes down after a stupid order, the guy has a quiet moment of reflection and says "My god... they sunk my battleship."

Boom, 1 extra half-star.

Honestly, I never had high hopes for this movie myself. If anything I would have almost hoped it wouldn't be as serious as it seems to be, but it is what it is. At the very least the ships look cool.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
It would have been nice is the predictions of basically the entire movie going population was wrong but it's nice to be right about these things once in a while.

They didn't even use 'the line,' that's just unforgivable.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Speaking as someone who despised the first Transformers movie and never saw the other 2, the alien ships were kinda busy, but not quite so much as any one of Bay's monstrosities.

There were some cheesy moments, they were predictable lines, and there were some groan worthy one liners.

But there were also some pretty damn funny moments, some particularly interesting ideas, and awesome veterans.

That being said... You'd think this planet had six suns with all the bloom in that movie. Things that I wouldn't think could reflect were blooming.

The bloom really is my biggest complaint, other than that, it wasn't really as bad as Bob says.... though that is of course, merely my opinion.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Well, that's a shame. I will watch this eventually however, if anything for the couple good things Bob had to say about it.
Badass endings have saved movies (for me) before. For example, the first person sequence in Doom was amazing.

I don't hold much hope for MIB3, time travel tends to fuck with the enjoyment of something. I think that's what ultimately killed Heroes.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Hold on hold on, is that fucking RIHANNA at exactly 3:00? If it's not it's a hell of a look-a-like.

Edit: Well that'll teach me for not watching the whole thing before commentating.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Soviet Heavy said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Credit insert 1: We're all concerned about "Beware the Batman" Bob, you are not alone. Looks like they're trying to mix the dark edgy "Animated Series" vibe with the more lighthearted tone and silliness of "Brave and the Bold". Both great shows on their own merits, but not something that should be mixed. Kinda like "Hey, you got chocolate in my Preperation H! No, you got Preperation H in my chocolate!"

Credit insert 2: That is a shame. Truly.
They already tried mixing Dark Batman with Goofy Batman, in The Batman. It was halfway decent, with a really neat take on the Joker, but it didn't quite pan out.
I respect your opinion, but I didn't care for Rasta Joker. The voice actor was great, but for me it was too much of a departure from established Joker tropes. It just didn't feel like Joker to me.

I did however think that shows take on Riddler was interesting. But I pretty much consider "The Batman" a failure on most, if not all, levels.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
I agree with what you said about Liam Neeson.

I think the same of Nick Cage, coincidentally. He played in Leaving Las Vegas, so fuck you, he can play in Wickerman and Ghost Rider if he enjoys it !

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Well battleship isn't great but I know so many worse it's not even close to transformer-bad and far from green-lantern-bad.. decent simple (dumb and klishe drenched) but some action scenes are awesome (not so much when they focus on the alien witch are bad..) worth a popcorn but not if you don't got a lot of them...

And I'm just wondering did I miss the "spoiler warning"? ... Bob kinda tells the whole movie almost... or at least it's pitch...
(Captcha: chicken feed XD)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Awww, nobody says the line? I would've gone to see the movie just to hear someone say it.

BTW, I do not like the art style of that new Batman thing either.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Cheer up, Bob. Maybe you'll get your wish to prove conventional wisdom wrong when Candy Land starring Adam Sandler- HAH, no, I just can't finish that with a straight face.