Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
HankMan said:
Lesbians
DAM
Lesbian ballerina ninjas...DAMN.
This...

But with a modification: Lesbian ballerina ninjas...DDDDDAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNN!

OT: Yeah i will check this movie out of...the reasons that Bob brought up totally not for that one hot scene...No siree...

Semi-Human

Nov 16, 2010
VenusInFurs said:
It doesn't matter how "artistic" or "meaningful" the sex is in this movie. I"m going to jerk off to it when it comes on HBO or if I get the DVD. Well, I will jerk off to it at least once.
Interesting, i think i'll stick to actually getting laid. You should try it some time, if you get the chance

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
MovieBob, I watch all and I mean ALL your reviews. I even went and watched Scott Pilgrim just because you said it was awesome (and I loved it).

But really, if you're trying to sell me a movie based on Nat Portman and Meg Griffon making out, it begins to color me uninterested.
I got it, they make out. The fact that you continually gush over it makes the appeal you built up for the movie slowly crumble away.

I was very interested in this movie because of the first 3 minutes of your review, then you spent the other 2 minutes discussing sex. I'm all for sex in a movie, bring it on, but if this is truly the Oscar winning movie you say it is, shouldn't the other aspects of the movie be more of a talking point than the "zomgz make outz!" scene?

EonEire said:
My biggest issue with "that scene" is simply this:

OMFG ITS 2 GURLZZZZ: Its a point in the film's favour.

OMFG ITS 2 GUYZZZZZZ: Its a point against the film.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm sick of the double standard surrounding same-sex scenes used in films and the overblown reaction one way or the other towards them.
Also this. Thank you for being the voice of (slightly comical) reasoning.

mortalsatsuma

Nov 24, 2009
This was an excellent review. XD Oh, but please refrain from using a very poor Put-on English accent, I don't think any of us are that posh anymore, now if you'll excuse me my tea is getting cold...............

Tiny116

The Cheerful Pessimist
May 6, 2009
My English Pride cringed at the American Twang in that Posh Accent...
But it was still as funny as fuck XD
I'm not usually inclined to see films based on Ballerinas but like everyones saying
Damn...
And it does look pretty interesting.
But I'll wait for DVD.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
The accent was killing me. Although the juxtaposition when you switched to a (seemingly) thicker east coast accent was almost worth it.

Anyway, I'd love to see this movie. But, I'm currently in China. Obviously not released here. In turn, when I go back to my backwoods town tomorrow-ish, I bet it wasn't released there either. I'll probably have to wait for DVD/Netflix before I can actually see what looks to be an interesting movie (even without the hot lesbian action factor).

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
You nearly had me at one point... The voice was like Stephen Fry as Jeeves meets snooty Maitre'd

Oh, Cinematic Robert, you card... haha! Brilliant.

This is actually the first I've heard of Black Swan aside from occasional mentions in review headlines, but screw it- you've sold me on it.

I'm actually more pleased about Mila Kunis doing some acting for a change as opposed to slinking away in the shadowy recording booths for Family Guy, so that's reason enough for me.

That said, I've never really watched anything apart from her turn in Leon that made me actually think Natalie Portman was worth her hype, so I'm actually looking forward to having her prove me wrong.

And the whole "sapphic bonding thing".... I admit it! I found the movie interesting before finding that out, and I'll probably just enjoy it more now.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
I predict that this movie will make at least 10% of everyone who sees it in theaters do what destroyed Pee Wee Herman.

Maldeus

Mar 24, 2009
So, Bob's bit about lesbianism made me think he may be under the impression that the Escapist's forums population doesn't like when he rambles on about sex because we're all a bunch of puritans. I can't speak for everyone else, but personally it just irks me when he spends ~40% of his review telling me that this or that actress is physically attractive, something which I don't really need a reviewer to know about.

That being said, this was actually a pretty good review. I've never much liked horror movies (though I love horror games, go figure), but I might give this one a try anyway. It seems interesting.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
See, this is a movie I absolutely would love to go see, but which the totally fucked studio system has decided is not 'mainstream' enough to play in my area. Now, I could be one of those cosmopolitan city-folk, who are totally hip enough to 'get' this kind of movie...but I'm not. But I'm also not one of those 'boom make good' types for which they offer Transformers.

To summarize:
I want to give this movie my money, and I can't.

Good job, film industry.

Guess I'll wait for it on goddamn Netflix...

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
I think you missed my point. MovieBob usually sounds like a very intelligent and well spoken person right up to the point where he starts talking about sex. At which point he sounds like a horny 14 year old without any sensibilities whatsoever. He then proceeds to hide behind a shield of sexual liberation as an excuse for encouraging sexual exploitation. But don't feel like I'm picking MovieBob exclusively here. I've only had one intelligent conversation on the topic of sex that I can recall. So you should all be ashamed of yourselves (points self righteous finger at the reader).

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Dear god, 'never' do the review with that voice again, it was fucking annoying as hell. It was a decent set up for a joke but... I REALLY hated it.

Otherwise, I'm glad to see this movie lived up to expectations, I'll definitely make sure to check it out once it hits DVD/BR.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
el_kabong said:
The accent was killing me. Although the juxtaposition when you switched to a (seemingly) thicker east coast accent was almost worth it.

Anyway, I'd love to see this movie. But, I'm currently in China. Obviously not released here. In turn, when I go back to my backwoods town tomorrow-ish, I bet it wasn't released there either. I'll probably have to wait for DVD/Netflix before I can actually see what looks to be an interesting movie (even without the hot lesbian action factor).
Actually that's Bob's real accent due to being from the Boston area.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Gekidami said:
Worst fake English accent i have ever heard. Please refrain from using it ever again, old chap.
Ahem... never seen "Mary Poppins" or "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" then? Riiiiiiight.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Aiddon said:
el_kabong said:

Actually that's Bob's real accent due to being from the Boston area.
I know. But I've watched several (hell, all of) his reviews, and the accent doesn't come in as heavy as it seemed when he started talking about the two leads making out in this review. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed more prominent.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
Been so fucking stoked for this movie since I saw the first trailer. Do want now.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
I like that a posh accent is automatically "English". Hey, all Americans talk like drunk Texans, right? Just ask the real Brits, since that's about the only "American" voice their actors can portray. By all means, let's expect more from some internet movie critic. =P