Escape to the Movies: Black Swan

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
I love how it all most seems the most debate over is whether the accent was good or not and whether you are still a big perv or not.

Personally I do find it interesting your choice of movie but though I'm a straight girl that like my mom isn't really turned on by sex scenes, I want to see this movie for the other things... and I REALLY hate Natalie Portman.

So you convinced me to see it, I'm still proud of you for keep to your beliefs but it's funny how your argument about sex in movies was shot down XD Face it Bob, Sex will always be a taboo... just like Gay sex or relationships in movies is severally endangered while Lesbians are strong and thriving... well that ones that actually like men that is.

Daniel Ferguson

Apr 3, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
You should do all of your reviews with that posh accent from the first part of the review.

I'd love to you see review Transformers 3 in that style. It'd be hilarious.
What they said.

I am somewhat curious to see this now. Awesome.

Bob, you sounded like Buzz Killington. But also Tolkein in this interview where he rambles and waffles and guffaws in a pretentious slur. You had touches of that... but you talked like Tolkein without talking like Tolkein :D

bobknowsall

Aug 21, 2009
Yep, valiant attempt to defend the whole "Mmm... Lesbians..." shtick, but I'm not buying it.

"Appreciation of aesthetic beauty"? Really, Mr Chipman? Because that wouldn't work if one were to stare at a girl's rear, only to have her catch you.

If you find something sexy, that's grand. But don't ask me to believe stuff like this.

Gunnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
The lesbian scene isn't even that great. Yes Kunis pulls down her panties and goes down on her, but there's no nudity at all in the scene. Much ado about nothing really. You want hot sex, go rewatch Basic Instinct. Even after all these years some of the best sex scenes on film.

Spink

Feb 17, 2010
So we got Social Network and now evidently Black Swan in contention for the Best Picture category. It's always great to find these shining diamonds. Also your mention of Cronenberg really just made me wonder what his next project is, and if it involves Viggo Moretensen or not. Those two work great together.

Sadly here in Canada seems only one theatre is showing Black Swan near me at the moment. Hopefully it has a wider release in coming days.

Ekim Takusan

Nov 13, 2010
I think this might be one to take my gf to. She loves ballet, Swan Lake being a favorite of her's. I love watching hot chicks going at it. It's a win-win. Heh... really though I am curious about this one, I like psychological horror a lot. I think Portman is a very talented actress. I will have to look more into it, but I have learned to take Bob's approval as a mark for a movie. I have not been lead wrong once.

*In Buzz Killington voice* Thank you kindly good sir, I bid you adieu.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Stabby Joe said:
The first time I heard of this film was a somewhat surreal art deco-style poster. The thing that drew me however was the small print "from the director of Requiem for a Dream and The Wrestler"... sold.

jackanderson said:
Maybe, I'll go see Black Swan. Just two things are stopping me. 1] My hatred of horror movies. Yeah, I'm a huge baby. I don't care! 2] It's not out in the UK until... I have no idea when!
If it has a similar release to the Wrestler then expect in January for the UK. I don't understand release dates sometimes. Seriously, we only JUST got Machete.
Late to this discussion, but yea, I know there must BE a reason, but when I imagine the majority of illegal UK downloads of movies not yet available on DVD are because we know they're out, and we want to buy them and give hollywood our money, but for some reason we need to wait 3 months, surely a simultaenous release date, at least for the english speaking territories, would smash that? ( I understand it can't be worldwide releases for language reasons.)

Not wanting to turn this into ANOTHER piracy thread, but it doesn't seem to make sense, yet there must BE a reason or it wouldn't happen, this delay...right?

I just believe a lot of people who illegally download when it comes to movies would probably be at the cinema if they didn't know they could torrent it two months earlier than they can experience it properly at the cinema.

hem dazon 90

Aug 12, 2008
Requiem for a dream fucked me up.

until the ass ta ass part that is, for two white wimminz that part was just DAMN

feycreature

May 6, 2009
Lesbians don't automatically up the ante for me. Boobies have lost some of their specialness since I grew them (though it's evidently not the same for all girls). But Natalie Portman...yeah, ok, that'll do it. I admit, this movie is probably going to freak me the hell out at several points, even a couple of the clips make me cringe, but it seems worth it to go see a movie that tackles these incredibly important aspects of performance. The balance of sanity and artistic abandon, the pressure of perfectionism and ambition and the razor's edge tension of being a performer at the top of your game? Horror movie or not I've got to at least give it a shot. Even if I don't sleep for a week afterward. Anyway, it can't traumatize me any worse than American Psycho did *shudder*.

As a side note, I didn't even remember who Mila Kunis was until I looked her up on IMDB and went "ohhh, that girl from That 70s Show...and Family Guy apparently. I didn't know she did drama..." I'm not doubting her capabilities, I just didn't know she had any ambition to do this kinda stuff. I am intrigued. Also, her family's apparently Ukrainian Jewish like mine ^^ (on my dad's side anwyay). Neat.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
I think I'm failing to understand what the problem with the pretentious accent was. Did you not understand it was a joke from the beginning? Did you not think the contrast from the way he usually does reviews is funny? Are you somehow offended when someone does an obvious parody of a bad accent? Does no one you know do that in conversation occasionally?

ImpostorZim

Jan 7, 2009
Wow, and here I thought he was going to review Megamind. Oh well, now I definitely know what to see, just as soon as it gets here in a few months I suppose.

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
MovieBob - quit it with all the sex already. We get it, you're straight and you're horny, good job. Does every single one of your reviews have to revolve around this fact? Your assessment of how hot the actress or actresses are in a movie and how well they perform their sex scene(s) has been the main focus of every single one of your reviews for... well, a very, very long time. You think you're so "refreshing" talking about sex in movies - you're not. It's not a taboo subject at all, the only reason people don't talk about it is because every movie has a sex scene in it, it's not that big a deal, and it's incredibly shallow to spend to much time talking about something that's just there for the trivial audience titillation (and yes, I realize there are some movies where the sex scenes have great symbolic or emotional meaning, but you don't take this into consideration at all. You talk about the sex in every single movie regardless of how relevant or meaningful it is).

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
After the tragedy that was the Star Wars Prequels, it's good to see Natalie Portman once again looking sexy on film. George, I don't know what you did that managed to make Portman look "Meh" at best, but you should go to jail for it.

And Bob, it's good to see that you've worked out of that Indy phase. Seems that from late September to early November it was mostly movies that I would never have heard of outside of here, and could never have seen anyway because they were in so few theaters. Good to see that you're back on the "Stuff I've at least heard of" track. Good to know that Black Swan is worth watching, too. Saw it in a preview a while back and thought it looked interesting, I'll have to make time for this movie.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Ugh, sorry Bob, but your fake english accent made me want to cut my ears off with a bread knife. Seriously, it fucking sucked

Other than that though, interesting movie. Perhaps I'll go see it.

mapguru

Dec 19, 2008
I love how sometimes Bob's accent comes out, not that often though. If it wasn't for one of his other videos on Screw Attack I would never have known he's got a Boston accent.