Escape to the Movies: Black Swan

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
This was an amazing film, because it is poignant and flawless (p.s. YES, that lesbian scene IS also definition of Nina's character). Though, I must say , we had to wait 2-3 weeks to get it where I live, and another 2 to get it in English. Meanwhile, Transformers 2 and Tron:Legacy had their English version RIGHT AWAY :mad:

Skaven252

Apr 7, 2010
Anyone here see any parallels to the animation film "Perfect Blue" in this one?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0156887/

Interestingly, Aronofsky bought the rights to Perfect Blue earlier on.

*googles* Yep... someone else saw the connection too:
http://www.badassdigest.com/2010/12/14/borders-line-is-black-swan-the-perfect-blue-remake-weve-been-waiting-for

fundude365

Dec 12, 2007
I'll look forward to maybe seeing this movie at the end of the week. In Cinema. Being in Britain is fucking annoying sometimes. Plus I don't know if there's a single British film reviewer who actually talks like that and I'm in a reasonably good position to know, see above point.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I finally saw this last night, and it was really great. Although, I found myself really identifying with Natalie Portman's character so I might be a little biased. That probably has something to do with being my own worst enemy at times, and having it effect my performance.

I mean, even without the whole scene with her and the woman from that 70's show I would recommend it. The scene when she's doing the transformation dance into the black swan was actually the scene I liked the most out of the whole movie, but the sex scenes are really tastefully done. The director did a fantastic job with the Nina's decent into madness. Thanks for recommending this MovieBob as I probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise, and I am really glad I did.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Holy. Shit.

This film was absolutely great, I'm really glad I finally got to see it. I was expecting a good film anyway after Requiem For a Dream but this was absolutely great. Natalie Portman played Nina expertly, the character was interesting to watch. I really loved the soundtrack aswell, perhaps enough to download it all from Itunes.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Hey, this thread's still up!

I saw it on Friday. I was originally going to go see Green Hornet, but I'm very glad I chose this one. This was one of those rare 10/10 movies for me. To be a 10/10 movie, it has to somehow stay in my mind. It has to make me think long and hard. I couldn't get this one out of my head, and I'm still thinking about it.

I loved every part of it and dearly hope that the sequel rumours are just rumours.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
I've just seen it, and I can't say I was as thrilled with it as Bob was. Portman's performance was terrific (particularly when she transforms at the end of the film, and you realise that her whole performance until that point was simply preparation for that moment). I also liked the way the score was done, and a lot of the camera work. The film is very well made, technically, but it's ultimately an unsatisfying tale.

(mild spoilers follow)

Ambitious perfectionist Nina wants to play the white and black swans flawlessly but she's having trouble with the black swan because she's a frigid closet lesbian. So she develops a split personality, goes insane, starts hallucinating, and has sex with a girl. Or maybe she hallucinates having sex with a girl. Like so much of what happens, it's intentionally left unclear what was real and what wasn't (even after the film has ended). And the result? Nina, by switching between her personalities in the changing room, gives a magnificent performance. And the film ends.

What the f***?

Black Swan takes an interesting premise and goes literally nowhere with it.

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
I saw the film this weekend and honestly I don't see why this movie is so hyped. Everyone did a great job with their role and everything (I am referring to the director as well). However the Achilles heel of this movie is the story/script. There is little character development in any of the characters in that there was a lack of motivation for why lots of people did what they did throughout the movie, I felt it was hard to relate to the characters (Almost all the characters start off weird and just go bat shit crazy from there), the plot is predictable (I saw the entire plot in the first 10 minutes), I also felt it had several plot holes. I agree with what Guy Jackson said before me, this movie goes no where with the premise. Everyone did a great job in making this movie and deserve their praise, however, the movie itself is terrible and riddled with characters that you don't relate with, a predictable plot, and characters with no motivation or rational. I would skip it but my lady friend I took enjoyed. Thus, if you can avoid this movie, but if you got one of those girlfriend things going take her she might enjoy it.

Cyanin

Dec 25, 2009
Not at ALL deserving of the hype surrounding it, in this case that really limited the film to me. However, it was a damn tight film, Portman gives a brilliant performance, good enough to almost be ignored.

See it, but don't expect the greatest film ever..