Escape to the Movies: Blackhat - Haxxor

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Blackhat - Haxxor

Almost as bad as the hacker craze of films from a few years back.

Watch Video

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
I never saw either Hackers or the Net.

Maybe I should pick those up and see what they look like today.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
If you think 'doxxing' and harrassment are the 'real' terrors of the net, you don't know ANYTHING about what a real threat on the net is.

It's like saying the real horror of war is the possibility having to wear one set of underwear for a month.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I had no idea why, I just had this feeling that this movie was gonna be shit. Looking at Rotten Tomatoes, it looks like I was right.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Scow2 said:
If you think 'doxxing' and harrassment are the 'real' terrors of the net, you don't know ANYTHING about what a real threat on the net is.

It's like saying the real horror of war is the possibility having to wear one set of underwear for a month.
Yeah that section of the video was just stupid. I get that MovieBob really hates 8chan, but he cannot seriously think that false phone calls and a few angry post on a forum somewhere are as far as cyberterrorism could possibly go for anyone.

harryhenry

Jun 28, 2012
Oh no... you brought up GAMERGATE and 8chan, bob! Have you realized what a Pandora's Box you've opened in the comments section?!

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
So it is what I expected from a movie about hacking.

I do appreciate not having you insert the trailer to pad out the video, I rather have a four minute review then a six minute because I am stuck watching the trailer of a movie again.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
It's a shame that January is like a traditional crappy movies month (or in England, Oscar bait fortnight followed by crappy movies month), especially given that enough crap comes out in the later months.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I knew this movie would be shit from the first trailer I saw... then I saw Michael Mann's name at the end.

Heat is my all time favorite movie... so... why would he bother with this shit?!?!? T^T

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
"Doxxing and harrassment are the real dangers of the net."

This was just said by an adult human in the year 2015.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Burnouts3s3 said:
I never saw either Hackers or the Net.

Maybe I should pick those up and see what they look like today.
Hackers is amazing and has a lot of great references to everything outside of their actual computer use (rainbow books, pulse dialing, social engineering, virus/exploit references, password selection...). Think of the screensaver hacking as more of a metaphor for what's going on in their head and it's palatable enough. :)

Fantastic soundtrack as well. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsC94MPfslQ]

(tangental, but Steins;Gate [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1910272/] has the most realistic hacker I've ever seen on a show)

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Uhh...'hat'-designated hackers don't dox or swat people.

Whitehats work with firms as mercenaries to identify and fix flaws.
Blackhats create/find flaws in the digital mainframes of firms and sell off that information to the highest bidder(or they expose those flaws as an anti-establishment statement, see: Wikileaks)
Greyhats are a mix of both: they create flaws but they then tell the firm in question that the flaw was 'always present in the code' and they get paid for resolving it.

It seems that Bob shouldn't be one to talk of Mann's obliviousness when it comes to the dynamics of hacking, since what he sees as 'srs bsns' is stuff that is mostly done by script kiddies.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Bob, let's be honest here. We see the ads. Tell us what you REALLY thought about the movie.

Personally, I'd rather see a movie about Thor fighting cyber criminals . . . nevermind. That's Age of Ultron.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Amaror said:
Scow2 said:

Yeah that section of the video was just stupid. I get that MovieBob really hates 8chan, but he cannot seriously think that false phone calls and a few angry post on a forum somewhere are as far as cyberterrorism could possibly go for anyone.
Considering people are using doxxes to call in swattings and, going so far as to make detailed calls claiming someone has weapons, bombs, is depressed and likely to kill people in order to ensure the cops fingers are on the triggers, yeah, its f***ing dangerous. the only reason (so far) there haven't been fatalities is that Doxxed individuals have had the forethought to contact and warn their local police.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
josh4president said:
"Doxxing and harrassment are the real dangers of the net."
This was just said by an adult human in the year 2015.
I've been taking everything Bob says with a grain of salt ever since gamergate started, but this video is basically a tablespoon of it, and the results are about as anyone would expect.

Omnicide

Aug 6, 2011
"If the Oscars were any whiter, they'd be transparent."

So, wait. We're supposed to judge them on their skin color first, and then apparent talent second? Because there was this one time someone said "I have a dream ..... where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character" or in this case the character of their character. I guess Bob doesn't care about that or something.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Amaror said:
The vibe I got was 'Bob has just realised 8chan exists'.