Escape to the Movies: Blackhat - Haxxor

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
ForumSafari said:
Amaror said:
Yeah that section of the video was just stupid. I get that MovieBob really hates 8chan, but he cannot seriously think that false phone calls and a few angry post on a forum somewhere are as far as cyberterrorism could possibly go for anyone.
The vibe I got was 'Bob has just realised 8chan exists'.
I would have gotten that vibe aswell if I didn't know of his twitter acc xD.

It's impossible to have seen it once and not believe he actively follows everything posted on those sites just to get angry at it.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Omnicide said:
So, wait. We're supposed to judge them on their skin color first, and then apparent talent second? Because there was this one time someone said "I have a dream ..... where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character" or in this case the character of their character. I guess Bob doesn't care about that or something.
It has more to do with how the actors of Selma, particularly Oyelowo, who was great, but also a variety of others, were egregiously snubbed. Ava Duvernay was also snubbed for director in favor of the director from Birdman. Out of the entire Oscar nominations, there's not a single acting nomination from Selma, and that's pretty embarrassing seeing as there were A LOT of great acting performances.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
marioandsonic said:
A mentioning of 8Chan and a Gamergate reference.

Bob, are you trying to poke the hornet's nest again?
But it's so fun! The buzzing is such a nice background noise to the droning of the sales meeting down the hall...

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
Bob, glad to see call the harassment of female developers and critics of Gamergate exactly what it is. It's terrorism. It's a loaded word, but as the definition of an act that inspires fear and intimidation to achieve a goal, it fits it to tee. Just because there are worse acts of terror, doesn't negate that is exactly what cowards hiding behind anonymity are doing every day in the name of their socio-political agenda. To say otherwise, is disingenuous at best, and at worst, belongs to someone who lacks the conscious or the personal ethics to realize that threatening someone to behave in a manner you wish to see is not just wrong, it's malicious.
Oh, by the way, in case someone decides to bring up that Gamergate supporters get harassed: one, I doubt it's at the same scale and frequency, and two, freely supporting a group that engages in such behavior makes you a hypocrite when you complain those actions have been reciprocated.

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
hentropy said:
Omnicide said:
So, wait. We're supposed to judge them on their skin color first, and then apparent talent second? Because there was this one time someone said "I have a dream ..... where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character" or in this case the character of their character. I guess Bob doesn't care about that or something.
It has more to do with how the actors of Selma, particularly Oyelowo, who was great, but also a variety of others, were egregiously snubbed. Ava Duvernay was also snubbed for director in favor of the director from Birdman. Out of the entire Oscar nominations, there's not a single acting nomination from Selma, and that's pretty embarrassing seeing as there were A LOT of great acting performances.
"Great Performances" is subjective, and people who "deserve" recognition always get snubbed. What Bob is implying at the end of the video is simply ridiculous. The person you quoted was spot on. Bob posting that is just as racist as it would be to ACTUALLY snub actors because they were minorities. "Whoa there academy, we need at least 5 black people and 7 women in non gender specific nominations, this thing is about diversity, not our OPINION of quality."

Of course the awards shows are biased, but not in the way he is implying...

Aliasi

Aug 21, 2014
josh4president said:
"Doxxing and harrassment are the real dangers of the net."

This was just said by an adult human in the year 2015.
Well, true.

The real danger of the net is how the abuse of systems by the poorly-socialized and the sociopathic can endanger other people. It's just, you know, so far that's mostly come across via assholes sending SWAT teams over to innocent people because they said something mean about them on a forum. Often while protesting they're only doing it because those people keep saying they're assholes who send SWAT teams to attack innocent people with a complete lack of irony.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
China? Again? I get that they give money/support to promote their country and all that, but every time I see one of those overextended landscape thing that pretty much yell "LOOK LOOK CHINA, LOOK AT IT, THEY GAVE US MONEY LOOK AT IT" they become more and more annoying.

I really doubt I'll watch this one, but still.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
theApoc said:
"Great Performances" is subjective, and people who "deserve" recognition always get snubbed. What Bob is implying at the end of the video is simply ridiculous. The person you quoted was spot on. Bob posting that is just as racist as it would be to ACTUALLY snub actors because they were minorities. "Whoa there academy, we need at least 5 black people and 7 women in non gender specific nominations, this thing is about diversity, not our OPINION of quality."

Of course the awards shows are biased, but not in the way he is implying...
The issue is that the Academy doesn't really all come together and decide who will be nominated for what, it's all a secret ballot. It's also worth noting that many (as in, the average) of the people in the Academy are super duper old. So is it totally out of the question that they were snubbed not having anything to do with quality? There are very few people out there with the courage/skill to actually PLAY Martin Luther King on screen.

Speaking only for myself, no one involved with the "Birdman" production should even be allowed in the theater on Oscar night, but I would have added another slot for the nominations to get Oyelowo in the picture. But the fact that Hollywood projects itself as being progressive and then snubs big time on a black actor in favor of a bunch of big, sellable names is pretty telling. Most every review of Selma (pretty much all reviews of the movie being overwhelmingly positive), praised the acting performance of Oyelowo and the directorial performance of DuVernay, it would be a pretty big fucking snub regardless of their color and the fact that they're not even being considered is pretty shitty, in my view. The Hollywood class loves to pretend like it's the most special liberal snowflakes, so progressive and ahead of its time, but they still couldn't help but slop over Michael fucking Keaton's knob, even if it meant completely snubbing one of the most important movies of our time.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Amaror said:
Scow2 said:
If you think 'doxxing' and harrassment are the 'real' terrors of the net, you don't know ANYTHING about what a real threat on the net is.

It's like saying the real horror of war is the possibility having to wear one set of underwear for a month.
Yeah that section of the video was just stupid. I get that MovieBob really hates 8chan, but he cannot seriously think that false phone calls and a few angry post on a forum somewhere are as far as cyberterrorism could possibly go for anyone.
Agreed

Modern cyber-terrorism and whatnot is likely more akin to the stuff seen in Die Hard 4... though likely a good deal less hammy.

Stealing industrial/corporate trade secrets via hacking, credit card numbers and draining bank accounts, identity theft and fraud that way around...

There are many more ways other than doxxing and empty threats that people on the internet can do harm.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Scow2 said:
If you think 'doxxing' and harrassment are the 'real' terrors of the net, you don't know ANYTHING about what a real threat on the net is.

It's like saying the real horror of war is the possibility having to wear one set of underwear for a month.
Oh sure. Because we all know that publishing someone's personal information on a forum filled with bitter, angry, and volatile hooligans is not dangerous at all. Also I see you conveniently left out the big one. SWATing is a very real danger on the net. One of these days someone will get someone killed doing that. An itchy trigger finger cop or someone who doesn't exactly do well with authority. One of those will happen and someone will pay the price. That's a more dangerous and palpable AND CONSTANT threat on the web today than the goons from Lizard Squad messing with Sony and Microsoft.

warfjm

Nov 14, 2007
I think it's pretty funny that Blackhat advertising is splashed all over the Escapist and Bob basically gave this movie a negative review. Way to stick to your journalistic integrity Bob.

Side note: I don't think Bob knew that Blackhat would be sponsoring the Escapist at the time he wrote the review. Really, doesn't matter either other way.

OreoDoublestuff

Nov 18, 2009
hentropy said:
It's also worth noting that many (as in, the average) of the people in the Academy are super duper old. So is it totally out of the question that they were snubbed not having anything to do with quality?
Plus, if we want to look at numbers, only twenty out of four hundred twenty seven nominees for the best actor award were black. That's 5%.

While i agree that Bob can draw rather, alarmist conclusions out of many things; this one has numbers to back it up.

Rabidkitten

Sep 23, 2010
The China pandering is scary as fuck. They are not allowed to say bad things about the Chinese government. All of these films that paint the Chinese government in a positive light to make a buck are bad news. I hope this trend dies, it won't cause money talks.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
tyriless said:
Bob, glad to see call the harassment of female developers and critics of Gamergate exactly what it is. It's terrorism
Aaaand that's when your comment becomes utter rubbish. You need a serious reality check if you think online harassment is a form of terrorism. You do know it's possible to ignore online abuse and such? Because that's what the vast majority of us do when we are a target of it. The victims of the Charlie Hebdo attacks last week didn't have that luxury, because that was a real terrorist attack.

OT: Really pushing the SJW vibe in this video, Bob.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Amaror said:
Scow2 said:

In the United States, cops killed more than 1,000 people last year alone. 40% of them were unarmed. If you don't think Swatting is attempted murder by cop, well... I don't think I need to finish that sentence.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
An Ceannaire said:
tyriless said:
Bob, glad to see call the harassment of female developers and critics of Gamergate exactly what it is. It's terrorism
Aaaand that's when your comment becomes utter rubbish. You need a serious reality check if you think online harassment is a form of terrorism.
Really? It is textbook terrorism. "Stop saying things we don't like, or we will put you in harms way by sending armed cops to your house."

How is that not terrorism?

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Omnicide said:
"If the Oscars were any whiter, they'd be transparent."

So, wait. We're supposed to judge them on their skin color first, and then apparent talent second?
Apparently that's what happened, because Selma was nearly shutout.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
C.S.Strowbridge said:
Really? It is textbook terrorism. "Stop saying things we don't like, or we will put you in harms way by sending armed cops to your house."

How is that not terrorism?
Swatting is a stupid and irresponsible thing to do, but provided the cops do their job properly, no harm should come of it. So no, it's not terrorism. I can't believe I actually have to say this. It's disgusting how wrapped up in your own little world you people are.