Escape to the Movies: Blackhat - Haxxor

Westonbirt

Nov 7, 2013
Well, excuse me while I laugh contemplating the fact this "worse dangers" routine was said by someone who believes that "there are no wrong tactics, only wrong targets."

As for the movie itself, Bob is right on the money. I feel like new technologies aren't going to be dealt with in an interesting way before a few decades pass by.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Akjosch said:
Gildedtongue said:
Soooo... Sneakers still remains the best film about hacking?
As someone who's professionally working with computer and network security for over a decade now, I'd say: Yes.

Though I heard "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" is pretty good as well. Never seen it to verify, so take it with a grain of salt.
About the most I can say with regards to the hacking issue is that at least 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' movies don't make computer people angry with its depiction of hacking. I would also, should you ever chose to watch them, recommend the originals for two reasons.

1) OG 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' > remake 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'.

2) While the sequels fall well short of the first movie they at least exist whereas the American version didn't, as best as I can tell, do well enough to guarantee the sequels being made because as of right now according to IMDB the American version of 'The Girl Who Played with Fire' is stuck at "announced" with no dates given for production.

About the nicest thing I'm willing to say in the remakes favor is that it is, relative to the original, much better than the remake of 'Let the Right One In'.

JustMakingAComment

Jun 25, 2014
ryukage_sama said:
JustMakingAComment said:
That Bob is jaded and bored by such a scene is not a problem with the film. This is simply Bob wanting subjective novelty, and blaming the film for not providing it as if that were an objective issue.
Why do you interpret comments made by Bob in his video series of his reviews of films based on his viewing of them as attempts of objective analysis? [...]
Because he attributes the effects of the film on him to the film instead of to himself, as if it were an objective truth and not a subjective experience.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Norithics said:
Man, the sheer amount of people white-knighting for hackers and 8chan is ironic and hilarious.
As opposed to the sheer number of people white-knighting for Bob's bigoted stereotyping and demonstrably incorrect assertions?

I was unaware that people attempting to correct Bob's ridiculous (and for some, hypocritically insulting) claims on the 'real dangers of hacking' was considered white-knighting...

I'll be sure to give young-Earth creationists the good news, so the next time they have someone trying to correct them on the reality of evolution they can just say, "You're just white-knighting for scientists!"

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Aiddon said:
ouch, not one of Mann's best. Whatever, I can take a blemish or two. Still need to watch Mohicans
You....you havent? :O

Oh man. I think I gotta watch Last of the Mohicans again, just to counterweight that.

OT: Yeah, it really bothers me that hollywood cant be more diverse in their casting, I dont mean ethnicity. I mean looks. There are WAY too many model-good looking actors. WAY TOO MANY. While Chris H. makes a stellar Thor, I cannot for the life of me imagine him as a hacker. Its the same problem with Agents of Shield. Besides the leading man everyone looks like they have been pulled straight out of a clothing catalog. BORING. Try to go back to that charisma word hollywood. Please?

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
An Ceannaire said:
C.S.Strowbridge said:
Really? It is textbook terrorism. "Stop saying things we don't like, or we will put you in harms way by sending armed cops to your house."

How is that not terrorism?
Swatting is a stupid and irresponsible thing to do, but provided the cops do their job properly, no harm should come of it. So no, it's not terrorism. I can't believe I actually have to say this. It's disgusting how wrapped up in your own little world you people are.
Oh my god! Thank you for providing a perfect example of a GGer.

Last year alone, the cops killed just over 1,000 people in the United States, 40% of whom were unarmed.

On average, more than one unarmed people a year was killed by cops.

Yet to the average GGers, this is nothing.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
RenegadeDuck said:
I mean, like Bob pointed out, someone who has devoted their life to mastering computer systems and learning the ins and outs of coding is probably more likely to be... shall we say, a little lower on the sexual attraction ladder?
Daaaah Whoosh said:
You can't have brains and brawn at the same time, that's not how life works.
I really don't understand this. I work as an admin and practically everyone I've ever worked with has been in fair to great shape. Hitting the gym seems to be a big thing with them.

Archer666

May 27, 2011
Hackers is a good movie and lol for thinking otherwise. Also I guess that 8chan is the new 4chan now.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Dirty Cop James funs said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
It seems that Bob shouldn't be one to talk of Mann's obliviousness when it comes to the dynamics of hacking, since what he sees as 'srs bsns' is stuff that is mostly done by script kiddies.
Agreed. Bob is obviously is under educated about hacking, for DOXXING and SWATTING is the shit that script kiddies do.

For those who don't know, script kiddies is a term for individuals who use programs or scripts to commit certain acts of cyber crime. (Those acts being DOXXING and the such) Real hackers loathe script kiddies for they do nothing to advance hacking and always give the entire hacking community(Yes, even the white hats) a bad reputation with the local authorities. Blackhats(and certain Hacktivists), on the other hand, those guys are scary. They can rob banks, destroy cities(No hyperbole), and all the other acts of major crime and terrorism. In fact, the United States suffered a major breach in their military computers in 2008. The Pentagon (Yes, the fucking Pentagon) spent 14 months trying to clear the worm from their computers in an operation known as "Operation Buckshot Yankee"... No, I am not making this up. It is really called "Operation Buckshot Yankee".

Anyhow, if you want more information about "Operation Buckshot Yankee" here's an article [http://www.eventtracker.com/2014-01-16-operation-buckshot-yankee-agent-btz/] about it.
Yeah and the thing is that they never fully got rid of it either. It's still in there just in a different form.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
C.S.Strowbridge said:
An Ceannaire said:
C.S.Strowbridge said:
Really? It is textbook terrorism. "Stop saying things we don't like, or we will put you in harms way by sending armed cops to your house."

Swatting is a stupid and irresponsible thing to do, but provided the cops do their job properly, no harm should come of it. So no, it's not terrorism. I can't believe I actually have to say this. It's disgusting how wrapped up in your own little world you people are.
Oh my god! Thank you for providing a perfect example of a GGer.

Last year alone, the cops killed just over 1,000 people in the United States, 40% of whom were unarmed.

On average, more than one unarmed people a year was killed by cops.

Yet to the average GGers, this is nothing.
Oh it's bad Swatting is a terrible thing, it's a crime and people should see jailtime for doing it. But it can't be classified as terrorism because there are no demands and the people behind it aren't trying to force a policy change of any kind.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Wait, was that John Cena and Brock Lesnar next to The Rock there? Have I missed something? WWE has basically become a toxin now but I catch a few things here and there, the fuck is this?

Aug 12, 2013
An Ceannaire said:
C.S.Strowbridge said:

If you had armed cops barging into your home you would be terrorized. So yeah in the broadest possible way swatting is a form of terrorism, and considering that in the US a lot of cops have developed "a shoot first ask questions later" policy it is only a matter of time before it leads to someone getting killed if it hasn't already.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Oh it's bad Swatting is a terrible thing, it's a crime and people should see jailtime for doing it. But it can't be classified as terrorism because there are no demands and the people behind it aren't trying to force a policy change of any kind.
They are swatting people to get them to stop talking about GamerGate in a negative light. So yes, this is 100% terrorism.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
josh4president said:
"Doxxing and harrassment are the real dangers of the net."

This was just said by an adult human in the year 2015.
Okay, maybe you don't quite understand. A hacker breaking into your computer and vandalizing it and or breaking it is a one time thing. Get a new computer problem solved.

Its completely different from being a target of a hate mob in which all channels of communication are flooded by insults, threats and harassment. And not just for a day, pretty much 24/7 for YEARS. This also could include literal stalking by individuals in real life or attempts at murder like swatting.

el_emmens

Mar 23, 2009
ey. Hackers is a good movie, it's dated and hilariously inaccurate but as far as mystery thrillers and movies that perfect sum up the 90's in aesthetic and attitude, it is great!

also I find it interesting that a decade ago 4chan and Anonymous was the internet threat.

now in 2015 I don't think Anonymous even exists anymore as an activist group, and 4chan actually grew up to some extent as far as the "internet hate maching" goes, while one of the non-chans or what ever you wanna call it has become the new internet den of sin.

azriel2422

Jul 19, 2010
P-89 Scorpion said:
Huh and on tech site's and forums they are praising the realism.
I've been reading that too. From what I've seen, there is quite a bit of accuracy as far as how the hacking takes place, and how the movie portrays potential risks most who are not educated in the world of hacking would never think of.

Keith Fraser

Mar 12, 2012
Re: Chris Hemsworth as the world's buffest hacker: ironically, some time ago I was in a discussion about "bad boy" romance novel tropes (with particular reference to Fifty Shades of Grey) and someone noted that very few romantic heroes, no matter how "edgy", cyber-stalk the heroine and do stuff like breaking into her private information (as does indeed happen in Fifty Shades). I took this as a challenge and wrote a deliberately silly premise for a romance novel:

Her Hunky Hacker
HE STOLE HER DATA...SHE STOLE HIS HEART!

Top Manhattan lawyer Samantha Quiverheart nearly lost her job when a cyber-criminal gained access to her confidential files. But she's not taking it lying down: she plans to use her own computer skills to hunt down the hacker and make him work for her. Some scrawny nerd living in his mother's basement will be easy to wrap round her little finger, she thinks. But when she tracks Smithson Steele to his beach house, she discovers that he's a handsome dreamboat with a body to die for...who likes to code in the nude! Now she has a new plan: get him into bed, then break his heart. But plans have a habit of going awry...

Guess I know who to cast in the lead if I ever make it into a movie...

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
C.S.Strowbridge said:
They are swatting people to get them to stop talking about GamerGate in a negative light. So yes, this is 100% terrorism.
I love how you're saying that as though swatting is mutually exclusive to GamerGate supporters. Or as though swatting is only ever used to stop someone from saying things another doesn't like.

Because, you know...it's not as if GamerGate supporters haven't been swatted. And it certainly isn't the case that people completely unaffiliated with GamerGate; with or against; have been swatted.

Nope! Swatting is only ever utilized by GGers. And GGers only ever use it to shut up dissenters. Therefore, swatting is terrorism, making GGers terrorists by proxy.

Or maybe...
Bob's out of his depth and completely detached from reality. And as a result, his notion of "the real dangers of internet terrorism" are woefully absurd.

I have a few friends in the tech security business. The kind that work for major government and private firms. When I told them about Bob's review they couldn't stop laughing for a solid 5 minutes.

pacmonster

Jan 17, 2015
Quadocky said:
josh4president said:
"Doxxing and harrassment are the real dangers of the net."

This was just said by an adult human in the year 2015.
Okay, maybe you don't quite understand. A hacker breaking into your computer and vandalizing it and or breaking it is a one time thing. Get a new computer problem solved.

Its completely different from being a target of a hate mob in which all channels of communication are flooded by insults, threats and harassment. And not just for a day, pretty much 24/7 for YEARS. This also could include literal stalking by individuals in real life or attempts at murder like swatting.
You're misunderstanding the point. First of all, real hackers aren't breaking into 1 person's computer to vandalize it or break it. What you're talking about is the equivalent of somebody leaving their Facebook account logged in and some asshole changing your information or deleting stuff. Real hacking usually involves cybercrime. Breaking into company secure networks to access customer financial information, or to steal company secrets, or for blackmail purposes. There's also government sanctioned hacking designed to spy on other countries or weaken infrastructure. One of the first actions of modern warfare is to target enemy communication to disorganize the command structure. Since a lot of modern day communication is digital now, governments introduce malware and viruses designed to shut down these systems when activated. These are the real dangers of hacking. What you talk about are the dangers of easier access to computers and anonymity.

Cyberbulling is not normally the goal of hackers nor does that even really involve hacking to accomplish. It's a completely different issue (while still important to address in its own right). DDoS attacks involve invoking a script which may or may not have been made by the person using it (usually not) which sends hundreds of thousands to millions of pings to a server. Doxxing might involve hacking to get private and secure files or information on people but more times than not it's simply because the person had very weak, predictable passwords and if somebody simply logs into your stuff then it isn't hacking.