Escape to the Movies: Book of Eli

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
Funny thing is you could kind of tell all of that from the trailer, definitely passing on the religious moralizing...

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
ColdStorage said:
I'm glad Mila Kunis isn't overused in Hollywood, otherwise she might turn into Megan Fox, and that would be a tragedy.
Except she's way hotter than Megan Fox and she can act.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Are you serious? I wasn't sure if the book was actually just the Bible or if the Bible contained a hidden "something". If this is just a movie about some guy walking the desert to move the last one to safety... Well it really isn't worth my money then. Thanks for saving me $20 Bob! Maybe I'll catch it on Spike in a year or so..

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
Ehh, I think this is less a problem with a premise and more a problem that the premise is a cup of tea most people dont care for.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
I knew this was about the bible but Iwas expecting some ritcheous deliverance. like a special Uber Bible he spends the movie trying to find to right all the wrongs. but it sucks that its just a crappy pseudo religious bodyguard flick!

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Jaranja said:
ColdStorage said:
I'm glad Mila Kunis isn't overused in Hollywood, otherwise she might turn into Megan Fox, and that would be a tragedy.
She's also the voice of

My friends were shocked at that one, they actually thought the voice of Meg was a uggo.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
ColdStorage said:
Jaranja said:
ColdStorage said:
She's also the voice of

My friends were shocked at that one, they actually thought the voice of Meg was a uggo.
Yeah, I knew that. I liked her in Forgetting Sarah Marshall... too bad it was a terrible film. That's just my opinion though.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I had no intention of seeing this film.
And now that Moviebob has explained the plot, I really want to.

The idea sounds good to me!
I'll be takin' the wife next week!

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
Jaranja said:
ColdStorage said:
Jaranja said:
ColdStorage said:
She's also the voice of

Yeah, I knew that. I liked her in Forgetting Sarah Marshall... too bad it was a terrible film. That's just my opinion though.
I've not seen that film, and to be honest I would never have watched it.

Kunis was cast as Jackie Burkhart in the television series That '70s Show in 1998. During the auditions, all people auditioning for the roles in the show were required to be at least 18 years old, so Kunis told the casting staff at the audition that she was going to be 18 "on her birthday" not specifying to which birthday she was referring. She was actually 14 at the time of the audition and after receiving the part, she was able to continue in the role despite having misled the directors.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
ColdStorage said:
Jaranja said:
ColdStorage said:
Jaranja said:
ColdStorage said:
She's also the voice of

I've not seen that film, and to be honest I would never have watched it.

Kunis was cast as Jackie Burkhart in the television series That '70s Show in 1998. During the auditions, all people auditioning for the roles in the show were required to be at least 18 years old, so Kunis told the casting staff at the audition that she was going to be 18 "on her birthday" not specifying to which birthday she was referring. She was actually 14 at the time of the audition and after receiving the part, she was able to continue in the role despite having misled the directors.
Woah, woah, woah... Lemme get this straight: You're saying that she was 14 years old when playing Jackie in 'That 70's Show?' Wasn't she always on top of Ashton... or was it just me?

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
I like Bobs reviews usually but to me it seemed like he just hated the fact that this was a movie about a bible and a mission from God. Just about every movie the good guy wins Bob, wether or not God is involved.

I'll still watch the movie, just not in theaters because we dont have a movie theater were i live now.

The blues brothers were on a mission from God too and that was a baddass movie by the way.

Nex-Falx

Dec 24, 2009
Aunel said:
nice,

haven't seen it though, and have no intention to, so didn't care about the spoilers.
if it was a bass player inspired by god, it would be a completely different matter.
I'm not taking a shot, merely curious I assure you, but do you mention your musical orientation in every post?

Just asking because I've lurked for some time and I've never seen one where you don't. =D Again just curious friend.

OT:
That's a shame... Looked like a cool movie... He really didn't address whether or not the action was any good though, so I guess I can still hope I'LL enjoy it...

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
Jaranja said:
Woah, woah, woah... Lemme get this straight: You're saying that she was 14 years old when playing Jackie in 'That 70's Show?' Wasn't she always on top of Ashton... or was it just me?
Yep, and I know why your actually going "woah woah woah", its because you just did a little sick in your mouth when hearing that the Hottie Jackie was actually 14 at the start of the show.

Joey245

Jan 29, 2009
I enjoyed this quite a bit. Not the movie, I haven't seen it, but the video. It's nice to hear you being overly negative about a movie that you really hate while still being professional about it as opposed to, say, going apesh*t over meaningless details (see: Revenge of the Fallen. Still pretty bitter about that...)

But, I liked your closing line:
"As soon as God becomes a major player, isn't it pretty obvious who's going to WIN?"
I don't think I've ever heard you say anything more true, Mr. MovieBob.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
I still liked this movie. The religious bits aren't being shoved down your throats, and really only serve as a plot device. I really don't think bob's review does the movie justice, since yes, on paper the plot sounds boring and overly religious, but in practice, it is much more entertaining. I'd say go see it.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
ColdStorage said:
Jaranja said:
Yep, and I know why your actually going "woah woah woah", its because you just did a little sick in your mouth when hearing that the Hottie Jackie was actually 14 at the start of the show.
I won't tell anyone if you don't.

Igen

Apr 28, 2009
"dont you already know whos going to win?"

that line sold me on the entire review =D

Thanks for watching the crappy movies so i dont have to.

frostgiant

Jan 15, 2010
Pod, exactly what I was thinking.
I enjoy and agree with most of Bob's reviews but he seemed very bitter about the fact that a Bible was the book and that a mission from God was the basis of the plot.

Aunel

May 9, 2008
Nex-Falx said:
Aunel said:
nice,

haven't seen it though, and have no intention to, so didn't care about the spoilers.
if it was a bass player inspired by god, it would be a completely different matter.
I'm not taking a shot, merely curious I assure you, but do you mention your musical orientation in every post?

Just asking because I've lurked for some time and I've never seen one where you don't. =D Again just curious friend.
short answer: Yes

long answer: Yes and I am an arrogant arse hole that always has to make himself look better in comparison to other people, and I don't really care what other people think about it, even though I might, and probably will hurt some feelings over the years, it's a price to pay to make myself feel better.

[small]your turn[/small]