Escape to the Movies: Book of Eli

George Palmer

Halfro Representative
Feb 23, 2009
-Pod- said:
I like Bobs reviews usually but to me it seemed like he just hated the fact that this was a movie about a bible and a mission from God. Just about every movie the good guy wins Bob, wether or not God is involved.

I'll still watch the movie, just not in theaters because we dont have a movie theater were i live now.

The blues brothers were on a mission from God too and that was a baddass movie by the way.
Yes, but right from the beginning of the Blues Brothers they SAID that they were on a mission from god. It was right there, out in the open, providing the semi-serious hook for the movie. It wasn't this big hidden secret surprise thing that in the end turned out to suck.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
For the love of the almighty... I really do hate Kirk Cameron...

But anyway back to the film. Thats the plot?! Dam it... I knew it was a bible of some sorts when I saw the trailer but having God as a character? Further more why can't God just get someone or himself to write another? Talk about being lazy... although since the world was blown up, thats fair enough to assume that.

George Palmer said:
-Pod- said:
I like Bobs reviews usually but to me it seemed like he just hated the fact that this was a movie about a bible and a mission from God. Just about every movie the good guy wins Bob, wether or not God is involved.

I'll still watch the movie, just not in theaters because we dont have a movie theater were i live now.

The blues brothers were on a mission from God too and that was a baddass movie by the way.
Yes, but right from the beginning of the Blues Brothers they SAID that they were on a mission from god. It was right there, out in the open, providing the semi-serious hook for the movie. It wasn't this big hidden secret surprise thing that in the end turned out to suck.
Besides, that was a comedy.

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
Why would Movie Bob attack a movie for having an iffy, silly plot (Eli, Jennifer's Body)? Is this not what the Game Overthinker craves in contemporary gaming ("Why not a monkey?")?

I am not saying the above movies are good, but they can be attacked on something other than their premise. In fact, I really think a movies premise being silly, surreal, or not entirely possible should be a good thing. In the end, however, the premise is small potatoes and nil when compared to acting, directing, storytelling, foleying, gaffering, and running craft services. A good movie can be made from any premise.

As to the character of God ruining a store: Akallabeth (fall of Numenor). Yeah, you know Numenor has gone too far and that the Vala will likely win, but Iluvatar himself coming to make it a certainty was still awesome. The Akallabeth would not have been as good if Numenor did not even prompt outrage and reaction from the Almighty.

George Palmer

Halfro Representative
Feb 23, 2009
Aunel said:
Nex-Falx said:
Aunel said:
nice,

haven't seen it though, and have no intention to, so didn't care about the spoilers.
if it was a bass player inspired by god, it would be a completely different matter.
I'm not taking a shot, merely curious I assure you, but do you mention your musical orientation in every post?

Just asking because I've lurked for some time and I've never seen one where you don't. =D Again just curious friend.
short answer: Yes

long answer: Yes and I am an arrogant arse hole that always has to make himself look better in comparison to other people, and I don't really care what other people think about it, even though I might, and probably will hurt some feelings over the years, it's a price to pay to make myself feel better.

[small]your turn[/small]
You need to make sure your asshole looks better than other peoples?

"...and I dont really care...". Clearly you do or else you wouldnt have to.

:)

-"You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?..."

lol

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I know this probably sounds cliche over the internet and all, but I can honestly say that I actually felt physically ill watching this review.

Then again, this isn't surprising, considering that this one is done by the fucking Hughes brothers - the same assholes responsible for Menace II Society. Also, the guy who's credited for writing this apparently was involved in Duke Nukem Forever, which is good enough to fucking lynch the bastard.

sargeant15

Oct 29, 2009
Man, I was really looking forward to this movie but now not much. I will still go see it but I am disappointed there is nothing more to the plot.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
if he died and the book was burned at the end it would have made a good movie.

maybe even burned by the main guy himself. That'd kickass.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
There's a lot of great movies with religious themes, but it just blows my mind about how many of these movies with religious themes flop, especially since there is so much material in almost any religion to go on.

So what does this movie do with what could have been a great premise? "Denzel has the last bible, and he walks around with it."

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Oh wow, sad day. I was hoping this might actually turn out good. Thanks for the heads up Bob.

DrkStar Cion

Jan 7, 2010
Grey_Focks said:
I still liked this movie. The religious bits aren't being shoved down your throats, and really only serve as a plot device. I really don't think bob's review does the movie justice, since yes, on paper the plot sounds boring and overly religious, but in practice, it is much more entertaining. I'd say go see it.
I can't believe movie bob is giving this film this much stick for having a simple story. its ok for drag me to hell to have the most mindless plot it the world and be just about the ride but book of eli is just a action film in a plot box labeled action plot and he goes off on one.

the real reason bob is screwing is because its a religious theme- and the film doesn't look like it moralizes or preaches or rams anything down your throat from what i've seen or heard.

can't move bob please put aside his childish, ridiculous offense about the film being about a guy who believes in god and actually tell us something about the film- is the action which people will be going to see good? hows the acting by all those brilliant actors and actresses?

and finally- unless god literally shows up on screen and catches the bullet thats about to kill eli then where is the ending spoiler? people who believe in god loose every day, and win everyday just as people who don't believe in god do.

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
I'll probably see it anyway since I've heard it's good from sources I trust way more than Movie Bob.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Sounds like the creators missed on a big opportunity to make a movie about religion in the wrong hands in a story and setting like that, which is a shame, because there's nothing like a villain that believes god is speaking to him, like that bastard Robertson (I'm aware there is a religious nut villain, but it seems it's underplayed)

sargeant15

Oct 29, 2009
DrkStar Cion said:
Grey_Focks said:
I still liked this movie. The religious bits aren't being shoved down your throats, and really only serve as a plot device. I really don't think bob's review does the movie justice, since yes, on paper the plot sounds boring and overly religious, but in practice, it is much more entertaining. I'd say go see it.
I can't believe movie bob is giving this film this much stick for having a simple story. its ok for drag me to hell to have the most mindless plot it the world and be just about the ride but book of eli is just a action film in a plot box labeled action plot and he goes off on one.

the real reason bob is screwing is because its a religious theme- and the film doesn't look like it moralizes or preaches or rams anything down your throat from what i've seen or heard.

can't move bob please put aside his childish, ridiculous offense about the film being about a guy who believes in god and actually tell us something about the film- is the action which people will be going to see good? hows the acting by all those brilliant actors and actresses?

and finally- unless god literally shows up on screen and catches the bullet thats about to kill eli then where is the ending spoiler? people who believe in god loose every day, and win everyday just as people who don't believe in god do.
Yeah that's true actually. He really didn't focus on anything else but the religious plot.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
JimmyBassatti said:
As much as I hate to give into peer pressure... this. I was really disappointed as well, since you spent the entire video complaining about the plot, and nothing more. I hope you aren't turning into a professional whiner, since I agreed a lot with your other reviews.
Have you actually seen the movie?

Because if you haven't, you in turn sound like someone who's just unhappy a movie with God 'in it' just got trashed.

It's kinda hard to disagree with a movie critic if you haven't seen the movie he's talking about.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
damn. I had some hope for this movie. ho well. I hadn't bought a ticket yet, and if you couldn't see the "it's a bible" thing coming, you are blind.

BloodyThoughts

EPIC PIRATE DANCE PARTY!
Jan 4, 2010
Wow, I haven't ever seen Bob this bored while reviewing a movie.

I think I might skip this one. I have already seen too many Apocalyptic films. Plus to me anything that just has one guy carrying the one last...Thing, to the one last place to keep it safe is boring, besides it being cut up by action scenes.