Escape to the Movies: Book of Eli

Aunel

May 9, 2008
nice,

haven't seen it though, and have no intention to, so didn't care about the spoilers.
if it was a bass player inspired by god, it would be a completely different matter.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Wow

The trailers lead me to believe something was actually happening in this movie.......is that really all there is to the plot?

GameGoddess101

Jun 11, 2009
Ummm...
I'd never really heard about this movie (living under a rock for the past 9 weeks or so) so I didn't care about the spoiler but seriously? That's the best the goddamn HUGHS BROTHERS could come up with? (sorry if I spelled that wrong)
Looks like an OK movie overall, and I might go see it, but... I'll wait till dollar night at the cheap seats.

chris11246

Jul 29, 2009
That is not what I was expecting at all. I thought it looked like a good movie and might have seen it but not now. I would have hoped for a better story than its the last bible.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
I'm glad Mila Kunis isn't overused in Hollywood, otherwise she might turn into Megan Fox, and that would be a tragedy.

SimGrave

Jan 7, 2010
I actually wouldn't mind what seems to be a silly plot. Does the ambiance, dialogues and fighting sequences interesting at least? This review doesn't really answers that. I remember having the same type of comments about Payback with Mel Gibson. Everybody was saying how stupid the premise was, but I ended up being a huge fan of the movie. No matter how silly his motivations were, you had no choice but to believe that it was possible. That and the fact that the movie was greatly directed and had a nice style reminiscent of old Steve McQueen movies. So in conclusion I would simply say that the Book of Eli still holds (in my opinion) something worth seeing. Again, I would have the see it to actually have my final thoughts on it.

Artemus_Cain

May 20, 2009
Huh, I was expecting Lovely Bones. 'Cause that wasn't all that good either. So this week ain't a good movie week. That blows.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Oh good God. (Pun)
I saw this trailer when a friend and I went to see the Daybreakers film, and I spent like ten minutes trying to guess what he twist in the tale might be when we quite clearly saw that the book was the Bible... so there was nothing? At all?
Oh wow, another post apocolypse film where absolutely nothing of interest is happening. Someone must have been a big fan of The Road.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Dark Templar said:
Wow

The trailers lead me to believe something was actually happening in this movie.......is that really all there is to the plot?
Apparantly...wow, talk about dry as the desert its set in

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I can see how the story is kinda boring, but apart from that, what's the worth of the movie as a plain old post-apocalypse action flick? Can it at least be enjoyed on that level, ignoring all those silly little unimportant things like 'plot' or 'originality' or 'character depth'?

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Not that there is anything wrong with a film about god etc, but from the sounds of it you really didnt enjoy this film. Its a shame because it looked quite neat from the trailers, but you have clearly described a pretty unimaginative and, from the sounds of it, predictable movie.

Shame

PunchClockVillain

Oct 3, 2009
I'll probably give it a look when it comes out on DVD, but it's not worth my money for theater tickets. I'm usually a fan of watching Denzel, even if the movie overall may not go anywhere.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
Deeply saddened... Sure, my only connection to this movie was my name being in it, but I really wanted it to succeed. Also, I felt dumb because I didn't realize it was a Bible...

franzieperez

Apr 5, 2008
This is the very first MovieBob review that has disappointed me.

It was pretty simple to figure out that was the plot of the movie, just based on the one trailer I saw, so these "spoilers didn't affect me at all. Kinda obvious that this was gonna take place in a post-apocalyptic setting, and that it would follow that pretty thoroughly. The only real reviewing that happened was based on the acting, which again, was kinda obvious, most of us know what to expect from Oldman, Mila Kunis and Denzel. There were hardly any witty remarks and no real in-depth analysis of the film, and I find it kinda hard to believe there was nothing interesting to say about this movie.

But hey, you may be right Bob, as I haven't seen it yet.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
So the person with the last copy of "Love thy neighbor" goes about slaughtering people with a sword? Is there any part in the movie where the main character acknowledges the irony of his actions? From the trailers I didn't think the book would be the bible, but now that I know it is, this movie seems a whole lot less interesting.