Escape to the Movies: Book of Eli

Hunter Shaw

Nov 19, 2009
I thought the movie was good. The plot was more than one man plodding across the US. It was also about perseverance, the nature of faith, and the power of the written word. Bob, you bash this movie because a bible is central to the plot, and because of the implication that god exists, while ignoring the artistic style and poignant story. Yes, the plot is plodding and slow; do you think, perhaps, that this reflects the nature of Eli's quest? He has been walking for 32 years, after all; that could get boring after a while. I found the action scenes to be artistic and well executed, the cinematic style to be a powerful expression of the both the physical and emotional wasteland through which we travel, and the plot to be an inspiring exploration of perseverance and faith in times of trouble, regardless of whether your faith lies in god or man.
p.s. The idea that literature can be a powerful weapon is also an interesting element of the plot. Look at the crusades to see the power that the bible once held. Also, the plot does pick up a bit, but over all, this movie is just paced a bit slower than most modern films: not necessarily a bad thing.

RandomRican

Mar 30, 2009
I saw it. theres more to it than just the bible. It had some sick action sequences with good acting. And I mean good acting because there are a couple of twists that make you view the movie in a different perspective because the end allows you to connect the dots. Of course the good guys win especially if they have God on their side, but really why would you bash a movie because the good guys win?????????? This guy is terrible at reviewing things.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Sylocat said:
Few things irritate me more than members of a dominant majority group pretending to be persecuted and marginalized.

Dude, Christians own 70% of this nation and hold about 90% of all elected offices (and most of the rest are Jews). You have all the power, and you are still complaining about being persecuted because it makes you feel like heroic martyrs. I cannot fathom how anyone could possibly thing that religious people are "not tolerated" in this country or anywhere else on the fucking planet, yet you claim that everyone hates you.

Take your narcissistic victimization complex and stick it where the sun don't shine, I have no interest in hearing you whine about how they're persecuting you by not wanting you to persecute everyone else.
And there you have it. Thank you Sylocat for proving EXACTLY my point about it.
IMMEDIATELY you are on the 'attack', seemingly offended that someone else could feel targeted by a subset of society and in the process of doing so proved that everything I said was frighteningly accurate.

I can equate this to the plight of my race in America... for some reason the black community by and large still acts as if white people are not to be trusted, that racism is the RULE as opposed to the exception and unless they've gone to epic lengths to prove that they are not the assumption seems to be prevalent that most if not all white people are "racist" in the majority of black minds, specifically in the older generations that lived through the civil rights movements.

The problem is that racism, while not eradicated in America, is NOTHING of what it used to be.. it may be hidden but thats what beasts do when they go to DIE. I've never walked about assuming every white person I meet is a closet racist secretly judging me by my skin color, but you get a bunch of other blacks together and you can garuntee that thought is an unspoken bond between them all. Sure there are exceptions to the rule, but the majority of black people, if honest, would agree with me.

Now the reason I used that example is because these days in our society, being labeled a "racist" is about as bad or worse than being labeled a pedophile... it's a label that is used often and with more frequency as a WEAPON.. usually to silence opposition. We've all seen it, people like Kanye West and Jessie Jackson firing off the "bigot bullet" at every public opportunity to the point that it's become almost expected. "Don't like Kobe Bryant? You must be a racist!".. "Hated the new Will Smith movie? You must be a racist!" Think Wesley Snipes should have served jail time for tax evasion? YOU MUST be a racist.

Society has shifted paradigms and those who were once a silent minority have become a vocal majority of minorities. Speak your mind in the wrong place, amongst the wrong company, and you're a racist.

This is the parallel I draw to Secularists and those who have "Faith". Those who dislike religion have decided that not only should they combat religion on ideology, but at any opportunity. They act as if mentioning "God" or even the existence of "God" is a disease that must be targeted and eliminated whenever, wherever possible.

Ask yourself this honestly... was your post really necessary? Was the tone you used necessary for your argument? Did it help things in anyway? Was it relevant to the subject at hand? Was it really the right attitude and approach for the subject? Were you sensitive to the other side's thoughts and feelings on the subject or were you just winging it from the hip like a typical internet forum d-bag, since y'know, thats the super popular thing these days? What was your ultimate intention? Did you have one?

In essence, were you trying to present a point of view for mutual understanding, or just having a go because you felt like taking it to those "stupid christians"?

thornussell

Aug 31, 2009
Hyena i love you just for that post. I thank you for pointing out the ignorance of alot of atheists and other who attack someone for there beliefs or decisions.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
To be honest, just the fact that The Book of Eli is about the Bible is considered a spoiler says a hell of a lot. I've only absent-mindedly watched the trailers, but I kind of assumed that the trailer mentioned that it was the Bible or something; if that's all they can come up as a plot hook, then this is definetly a film to miss. I mean, for fuck's sake "Eli" means God, the film is called "The Book of God", what the hell else was it going to be about?

Panda Mania

Jul 1, 2009
C'mon, Movie Bob...stop ranting about your hatred of God in films and focus mainly on what makes it a poorly-executed piece of cinema. Honestly, when put with the Daybreakers one, the reviews are more about your personal tastes than anything else...

Rubbav1

Jan 1, 2010
Ahh... I was hoping he was going to do a review of "Lovely Bones". You know after crushing on Mr. Jackson so hard in his District Nine review, I was wondering if he was going to go against the critics and stick by the geek golden boy or say that it's crap. I was really wondering whether to bother.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I don't think "OMG It's a bible" was a spoiler at all. You can pretty much tell - and if you can't figure it out, it's given away not even halfway through the movie.
I'm an atheist but I'm not about to hate this movie just because it's about a bible. There are bigger spoilers Bob could have given away for sure.
I really liked this movie, I don't think Bob has pointed out any of its positive points.

Rubbav1

Jan 1, 2010
HyenaThePirate said:
Sylocat said:
Few things irritate me more than members of a dominant majority group pretending to be persecuted and marginalized.

Dude, Christians own 70% of this nation and hold about 90% of all elected offices (and most of the rest are Jews). You have all the power, and you are still complaining about being persecuted because it makes you feel like heroic martyrs. I cannot fathom how anyone could possibly thing that religious people are "not tolerated" in this country or anywhere else on the fucking planet, yet you claim that everyone hates you.

Take your narcissistic victimization complex and stick it where the sun don't shine, I have no interest in hearing you whine about how they're persecuting you by not wanting you to persecute everyone else.
And there you have it. Thank you Sylocat for proving EXACTLY my point about it.
IMMEDIATELY you are on the 'attack', seemingly offended that someone else could feel targeted by a subset of society and in the process of doing so proved that everything I said was frighteningly accurate.

I can equate this to the plight of my race in America... for some reason the black community by and large still acts as if white people are not to be trusted, that racism is the RULE as opposed to the exception and unless they've gone to epic lengths to prove that they are not the assumption seems to be prevalent that most if not all white people are "racist" in the majority of black minds, specifically in the older generations that lived through the civil rights movements.

The problem is that racism, while not eradicated in America, is NOTHING of what it used to be.. it may be hidden but thats what beasts do when they go to DIE. I've never walked about assuming every white person I meet is a closet racist secretly judging me by my skin color, but you get a bunch of other blacks together and you can garuntee that thought is an unspoken bond between them all. Sure there are exceptions to the rule, but the majority of black people, if honest, would agree with me.

Now the reason I used that example is because these days in our society, being labeled a "racist" is about as bad or worse than being labeled a pedophile... it's a label that is used often and with more frequency as a WEAPON.. usually to silence opposition. We've all seen it, people like Kanye West and Jessie Jackson firing off the "bigot bullet" at every public opportunity to the point that it's become almost expected. "Don't like Kobe Bryant? You must be a racist!".. "Hated the new Will Smith movie? You must be a racist!" Think Wesley Snipes should have served jail time for tax evasion? YOU MUST be a racist.

Society has shifted paradigms and those who were once a silent minority have become a vocal majority of minorities. Speak your mind in the wrong place, amongst the wrong company, and you're a racist.

This is the parallel I draw to Secularists and those who have "Faith". Those who dislike religion have decided that not only should they combat religion on ideology, but at any opportunity. They act as if mentioning "God" or even the existence of "God" is a disease that must be targeted and eliminated whenever, wherever possible.

Ask yourself this honestly... was your post really necessary? Was the tone you used necessary for your argument? Did it help things in anyway? Was it relevant to the subject at hand? Was it really the right attitude and approach for the subject? Were you sensitive to the other side's thoughts and feelings on the subject or were you just winging it from the hip like a typical internet forum d-bag, since y'know, thats the super popular thing these days? What was your ultimate intention? Did you have one?

In essence, were you trying to present a point of view for mutual understanding, or just having a go because you felt like taking it to those "stupid christians"?
]

Dude calm the fuck down.

First off, being ironic here, but isn't assuming that all black people think about, whenever they see a white person, is that white person and how racist they maybe. You should probably avoid assuming broad generalizations like that it makes you sound racist.

But please for all that is holy do not, and I repeat, do not get upset about something like this. Both sides victimizes themselves to reach their goals and both sides use broad attacks on each other. There is only one thing that you have to worry about and that is when someone gets hit, hurt, murdered, or massacred. Racism will never die, it won't because racism didn't start when the first slave boat was brought to America and it wasn't started when the Pope declared war on the Muslims. No, it was started sometime after the rise of Mesopotamia when someone looked over the edge of civilization and saw those on the outside as inferior.

All we can try to do is to stop violence actions towards others for any reason. That's all you can do really.

Bourguit

Oct 19, 2008
Interesting point Panda. No offense Bob, but I think that was a spoiler you shouldn't have mentioned. Did the previews skew my expectations? Yes. But I wasn't disappointed leaving the theatre. There is more to the movie.

Firstly, watching Daniel's character kicking butt and no non-sense attitude was awesome. Based on the previews, I thought "The Book" was going to give him some special powers or something. But you know what, I'm GLAD they didn't go with that angle. He's talented with a sword, but it's not because he has the "The Book", it because he has direction and purpose and focus in world that none. That's-what-makes-him-truly-dangerous.

Secondly, for anyone still considering watching this movie, watch it to see what people can do to themselves and to each other in post-war times (Like Mad-Max, etc, as Bob mentioned). But don't let the "God angle" skew your choice, because frankly belief is not the only thing rare in this movie, so in education and human decency and stable governments.

Lastly, take every movie review with a grain of salt people, even mine. Cheers.

:)

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
I liked the movie. I'm definitely no fan of organized religion, but if you think about it, the move wasn't promoting religion. Yes, it was promoting faith, and the Bible was the inspiration for that faith, but nothing about it said "Join the Catholics!" or anything similar. It's funny to see how we bring our modern baggage concerning the Bible into the film, forgetting that in the end it's really just a book of words. If anything, it should be sobering (for Christians especially) because it showed two sides of the coin: walking your own path with the Bible as a guide and using the Bible as a means of control. The antagonist, Carnegie, sought to use the Bible as a means of control. That sounds to me like a cinematic warning shot across the bow of organized religion.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Rubbav1 said:
Dude calm the fuck down.

First off, being ironic here, but isn't assuming that all black people think about, whenever they see a white person, is that white person and how racist they maybe. You should probably avoid assuming broad generalizations like that it makes you sound racist.
I don't think you payed attention to what he was saying... At all...

But please for all that is holy do not, and I repeat, do not get upset about something like this. Both sides victimizes themselves to reach their goals and both sides use broad attacks on each other. There is only one thing that you have to worry about and that is when someone gets hit, hurt, murdered, or massacred. Racism will never die, it won't because racism didn't start when the first slave boat was brought to America and it wasn't started when the Pope declared war on the Muslims. No, it was started sometime after the rise of Mesopotamia when someone looked over the edge of civilization and saw those on the outside as inferior.

All we can try to do is to stop violence actions towards others for any reason. That's all you can do really.
This isn't about that, it's about the fact that Bob didn't make any points for or against the movie except: "It contains the bible, therefore, its bad."

There was no review, it was just ranting about how religion shouldn't be in movies.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Not an unfair review.

The movie really did have some heavy moralizing that was pretty juvenile. However, the feel of the movie "the western filled with homeless" really was just about perfect.

mesoforte

Jan 5, 2010
gmacarthur81 said:
That's a load of crap.

Christians hold less than 1% of elected offices and less than 1% of anything this nation has.

People CLAIMING to be Christians are the people you are talking about. People like GW Bush, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Mitch McConnell, Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, etc etc.

The easiest way to get elected is for the wolves to dress up like sheep and fool all the other Sunday service Christians (that being a person that is a "Christian" for 1 hour on Sunday and might as well be an Atheist or a Hedonist the other 167 hours of the week) that a vote for them will "take back America for God", or "be a stroke in the fight against Evil", or any other line of bull they think they can spin to get votes.

/rant
No True Scotsman much?

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Sounds like this movie might do well on the bible belt or for anyone who happens to be big enough on post apocalyptic movies to not care what the premise behind the central plot is.

Me, I'm unlikely to see it if it's just a whole lot of gunplay to stop a fellow from walking somewhere because he has the last copy of the book belonging to what's apparently a long-forgotten religion. Heck, if a guy's murdering his way across the country because God told him to, maybe they were right to burn their bibles.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
So I saw the movie, and I have to completely disagree with MovieBob on this one. The film was actually pretty good. I don't feel like spoiling anything, but as far as the whole God thing goes, MovieBob overexaggerated GREATLY. He had divine inspiration, much like some great leaders in history touted that they had. He never said he spoke with God, he said he heard a voice, it guided him, showed him the way. Honestly, you can take from that what you wish, but the way MovieBob speaks about it is actually just showing how childish someone can act on the subject matter.

Oh well though, thats the beauty of opinions. They can differ.

Badassassin

Jan 16, 2010
Undercover said:
Thanks Bob, you just saved me ten bucks.

As soon as I heard the "spoiler" which to be honest wasn't really a spoiler, my interest in this movie was reduced to just slightly below zero.

Considering that religion is the second most popular reason for all the wars, misery, death and destruction in the world next to greed, (but then the two go hand in hand) it would only make sense to rid the world of religion, but of course we can't have that now, can we?

There always has to be SOMEONE trying to shove God down everyone's throat, no matter how subtly.

Ok all you "Christians" out there, let me have it, I know you want to.

I'll warn you though, I know more about theology than you think I do and if you aren't prepared for an intelligent, informed rebuttal, I wouldn't recommend getting into it with me.

Besides, this is a movie review not a religious discussion.
really? do you also walk into the ghetto and say "i am part of the kkk!!!"

and do you realize that if you say your an atheist, people don't try and force god down your throat (at least most normal people) but if you tell an atheist your religion he'll try to convince you how idiotic and how bad religion is. so please, don't go into your rant about religion, because its so tired and samey as all the other atheist speeches we've heard here.

Mr.Pandah said:
So I saw the movie, and I have to completely disagree with MovieBob on this one. The film was actually pretty good. I don't feel like spoiling anything, but as far as the whole God thing goes, MovieBob overexaggerated GREATLY. He had divine inspiration, much like some great leaders in history touted that they had. He never said he spoke with God, he said he heard a voice, it guided him, showed him the way. Honestly, you can take from that what you wish, but the way MovieBob speaks about it is actually just showing how childish someone can act on the subject matter.
yes! it was exaggerated so much, the only time that i felt god was at all present as a character was in the part with the gun, which (and this is a stretch) could be considered just pure will. kinda like how old people try live to 100 just so they have a sort of finish line.

MeSomeGuy

Aug 10, 2009
I could understand why he is upset at the premise, but I feel like he saw a different movie than I did. He didn't mention anything about the great cinematography or well executed action scenes. The movie did have the Post apocalypse look, but almost every shot was good enough to be a painting. Bob might have felt that the movie lost its tension when God was through in the mix, but the Blind faith that Eli has in his mission almost makes the scenes more frightening. Everyone that I saw the film with (Religious or not) enjoyed it.