Escape to the Movies: Branded

Ashoten

New member
Aug 29, 2010
251
0
0
shiajun said:
Ashoten said:
Making fat people feel bad about being fat........WTF?

Fat storage is an important mechanism for survival and served our ancestors well throughout much of life's history. The simple fact that our post industrial world has made it possible for 2% of the population to make 100% of the food has had the unfortunate side effect of allowing people with a highly evolved fat storage system to become too fat is not their fault. It is not the companies fault for providing a service that people want. Does this mean everyone is absolved of guilt? NO! but it also means that the obese need compassion not shame.

I could also bring up how the government forced health regulations on fast food chains that required them to use hydrogenated fat for cooking, as well as there obsession with teaching everyone that tons of carbs are good for you. Carbohydrates metabolizes into sugar so unless your training for the Olympics or have a rigorous work out schedule there is no reason to load up on them all the time.
Yes, being fat is your fault. It's not only your fault, but living in a post-indsutrial society does not absolve you from the fact that you're using your body the wrong way. Not only is it evident that your physical activity is pitiful, it's also showing that you have little criteria in what you ingest. You don't need to eat out everytime. Cook at home and take lunch to work it there's no healthy place near you. Oh, it takes time and effort? Well, it's better that time and effort than the persitent damage your organs and bones are suffering from being forced through overweight. Also, if you're going to throw out the biological argument for fat storage, you can't just forget your body was also made to move. I'm not saying anyone should try to look like models, with zero fat deposits (and all their metabolic disorders that carries), but it is everyone's duty -yes, I use that word, duty- to keep their own body within healthy boundries of weight. If you are now overweight, my question always is: why didn't you stop before you got to this point? If you're here, being complacent with your obesity and asking everyone to not offend your sensibilities won't bring you back to a healthy body. If I sound callous, so be it. More often than not, it's poor habits and terrible discipline and education that make people obese, not some genetic disorder that couldn't be avoided.
That sound just like some anti-gay speech. What business is it of yours how I use my body? If eating makes me feel better then I am entitled to that. There is no right way or perfect way to live for everyone. 2 individuals with the same eating habits and same activity can have drastically different weights. The cause of this CAN be linked to genetics. What is fine for one is not fine for another. I am active and I like to eat so I am overweight despite my activity. Every time I have lost significant weight it was only through intense training and dietary restrictions. It is hard to keep that kind of life style up indefinitely. Additionally I have joint pains and irritable bowl disease just to make things more challenging I guess. So I end up needing to eat lots of fatty protein and processed food that don't upset my digestion. I get intense steroid treatments for my bowl disease which also make me hungry all the time.

Don't Judge me bro
 

Howling Din

New member
Mar 10, 2011
69
0
0
Y'know that's what they want, right? Your resentment, I mean. they want you to waste hours of your life and chunks of your emotional spectrum on their garbage. As soon as you have, they've won. This movie's intent is similar to what internet people call "trolling" only on a larger scale.
 

Realitycrash

New member
Dec 12, 2010
2,779
0
0
Ashoten said:
shiajun said:
Ashoten said:
Making fat people feel bad about being fat........WTF?

Fat storage is an important mechanism for survival and served our ancestors well throughout much of life's history. The simple fact that our post industrial world has made it possible for 2% of the population to make 100% of the food has had the unfortunate side effect of allowing people with a highly evolved fat storage system to become too fat is not their fault. It is not the companies fault for providing a service that people want. Does this mean everyone is absolved of guilt? NO! but it also means that the obese need compassion not shame.

I could also bring up how the government forced health regulations on fast food chains that required them to use hydrogenated fat for cooking, as well as there obsession with teaching everyone that tons of carbs are good for you. Carbohydrates metabolizes into sugar so unless your training for the Olympics or have a rigorous work out schedule there is no reason to load up on them all the time.
Yes, being fat is your fault. It's not only your fault, but living in a post-indsutrial society does not absolve you from the fact that you're using your body the wrong way. Not only is it evident that your physical activity is pitiful, it's also showing that you have little criteria in what you ingest. You don't need to eat out everytime. Cook at home and take lunch to work it there's no healthy place near you. Oh, it takes time and effort? Well, it's better that time and effort than the persitent damage your organs and bones are suffering from being forced through overweight. Also, if you're going to throw out the biological argument for fat storage, you can't just forget your body was also made to move. I'm not saying anyone should try to look like models, with zero fat deposits (and all their metabolic disorders that carries), but it is everyone's duty -yes, I use that word, duty- to keep their own body within healthy boundries of weight. If you are now overweight, my question always is: why didn't you stop before you got to this point? If you're here, being complacent with your obesity and asking everyone to not offend your sensibilities won't bring you back to a healthy body. If I sound callous, so be it. More often than not, it's poor habits and terrible discipline and education that make people obese, not some genetic disorder that couldn't be avoided.
That sound just like some anti-gay speech. What business is it of yours how I use my body? If eating makes me feel better then I am entitled to that. There is no right way or perfect way to live for everyone. 2 individuals with the same eating habits and same activity can have drastically different weights. The cause of this CAN be linked to genetics. What is fine for one is not fine for another. I am active and I like to eat so I am overweight despite my activity. Every time I have lost significant weight it was only through intense training and dietary restrictions. It is hard to keep that kind of life style up indefinitely. Additionally I have joint pains and irritable bowl disease just to make things more challenging I guess. So I end up needing to eat lots of fatty protein and processed food that don't upset my digestion. I get intense steroid treatments for my bowl disease which also make me hungry all the time.

Don't Judge me bro
You can use your body however you want, but when people go and promote "fat acceptance", I get a bit irked. It's promoting an early death. If they want to be unhealthy (and I am talking fat here, not chubby or having a gut, but fat), that's fine, but don't promote it, because it's unhealthy.
 

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
1,544
0
0
Realitycrash said:
You can use your body however you want, but when people go and promote "fat acceptance", I get a bit irked. It's promoting an early death. If they want to be unhealthy (and I am talking fat here, not chubby or having a gut, but fat), that's fine, but don't promote it, because it's unhealthy.
As a fatass myself, I feel inclined to comment. I'm not part of any "fat acceptance" movements, but I think I'd be qualified to say that you're conflating the idea of "fat acceptance" (that is, not being a dick to fatties) with the concept of encouraging people to be fat. I don't think any sane man would opt to be fat when if he were able to easily select his physique. Being fat is usually a fairly lucid choice people make; I'm aware I'm more likely to die of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc., and I've never met another overweight person who claimed otherwise. People have chosen to live a certain way, aware of the opportunity cost of their fitness and life expectancy. What fat asses like myself don't need or want is the media constantly shoving in our faces how unhealthy, unattractive, and how hedonistic we are, people constantly approaching me to say how bad for me my existence is, and the health Nazis who constantly push for taxing me for my existence or trying to force a change to my diet or shit.

I get it. I'm unhealthy. I don't want to make anyone else fat, I just want everyone to shut the fuck up. Is that something so unacceptable?
 

SquidVicious

Senior Member
Feb 9, 2021
428
1
23
Country
United States
MetalMagpie said:
LoathsomePete said:
Never even heard of this movie until now, but the videos Bob played throughout reminded me of another Russian movie, Nightwatch which sounded like a neat premise, but the execution was just a cavalcade of "how much acid do I need to take for this to start being good?" I definitely dislike it when people mishandle easy concepts like this, but considering how my town sucks so much we don't even get The Master, I doubt we'll be getting this any time soon.
Nightwatch is (very loosely) based on a book of the same name by Sergei Lukyanenko. The book is actually pretty awesome (even translated into English) and well worth a read if you like urban fantasy with a gothic feel.
Oh I've read Nightwatch and Daywatch and I've come to the conclusion that Russian literature just isn't for me, unless it's Nikolai Gogol, that guy is badass... and Vladimir Nabokov.
 

planet.tyler

New member
Mar 1, 2012
24
0
0
Rabidkitten said:
So why didn't you review the Master, which I assume most people are far more interested in?
Well the master didn't personally offend him as this film clearly did. This was not a review, it's a tantrum masquerading as a review. You're better than this bob
 

Zer0Saber

New member
Aug 20, 2008
283
0
0
I've talked to people about "The Stuff" and nobody knew about "The Stuff", but you know about "The Stuff" and now I know I'm not alone.
 

Friendstastegood

New member
Oct 2, 2011
10
0
0
Bob. I'm disappointed in you. Indeed this movie sounds terrible, but why on earth would you compare it to Southland Tales (it's one of my all-time favourites)? They sound nothing alike at all. What is so bad about Southland Tales?
 

theSteamSupported

New member
Mar 4, 2012
245
0
0
Regarding obesity, it's your choice for how to live, how to look and how to die. But, please, oh please, don't apply your unhealthy behaviour upon your children. Tim Minchin said it best.

<youtube=u_ElXYzFX_w>
 

Lono Shrugged

New member
May 7, 2009
1,467
0
0
MacNille said:
A movie so stupid that not even Max Von Sydow can save it!? Oh boy...
As awesome as Max Von Sydow is, he is well used to being stunt cast at this stage. (Judge Dredd, Conan etc.)

As terrible as this movie sounds I love bizarre Russian films and generally bad movies, I will certainly check this out some time in the future when my self esteem is low and I need to feel better about myself.
 

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
2,842
0
0
Rawberry101 said:
Hey nobody get down on the cow sacrifice! It's in the best movies as often as it's in the worst.
Furrama said:
You know, socially accepting or not accepting fat people doesn't make me want a hamburger any more or less.

Bathing in cow blood WHAT?
These are the only two posts that bring this up.

Either people haven't seen this movie, or everyone else is just kinda mulling over this fact....
 

Realitycrash

New member
Dec 12, 2010
2,779
0
0
CosmicCommander said:
Realitycrash said:
You can use your body however you want, but when people go and promote "fat acceptance", I get a bit irked. It's promoting an early death. If they want to be unhealthy (and I am talking fat here, not chubby or having a gut, but fat), that's fine, but don't promote it, because it's unhealthy.
As a fatass myself, I feel inclined to comment. I'm not part of any "fat acceptance" movements, but I think I'd be qualified to say that you're conflating the idea of "fat acceptance" (that is, not being a dick to fatties) with the concept of encouraging people to be fat. I don't think any sane man would opt to be fat when if he were able to easily select his physique. Being fat is usually a fairly lucid choice people make; I'm aware I'm more likely to die of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc., and I've never met another overweight person who claimed otherwise. People have chosen to live a certain way, aware of the opportunity cost of their fitness and life expectancy. What fat asses like myself don't need or want is the media constantly shoving in our faces how unhealthy, unattractive, and how hedonistic we are, people constantly approaching me to say how bad for me my existence is, and the health Nazis who constantly push for taxing me for my existence or trying to force a change to my diet or shit.

I get it. I'm unhealthy. I don't want to make anyone else fat, I just want everyone to shut the fuck up. Is that something so unacceptable?
The common idea seems to be that if media do NOT do this, then acceptance will grow, and people will become fatter and more unhealthy.
I am unsure if this is entirely true or not. I think it could be done in far more tasteful ways, however.
 

Realitycrash

New member
Dec 12, 2010
2,779
0
0
Lionsfan said:
Rawberry101 said:
Hey nobody get down on the cow sacrifice! It's in the best movies as often as it's in the worst.
Furrama said:
You know, socially accepting or not accepting fat people doesn't make me want a hamburger any more or less.

Bathing in cow blood WHAT?
These are the only two posts that bring this up.

Either people haven't seen this movie, or everyone else is just kinda mulling over this fact....
It's an obvious satirical reference to the meat industry, and hamburgers in particular (since it's a big target in the movie). It isn't worth commenting on, so that's why.
 

Sean Deli

New member
May 11, 2011
57
0
0
CosmicCommander said:
I don't think any sane man would opt to be fat when if he were able to easily select his physique. Being fat is usually a fairly lucid choice people make; I'm aware I'm more likely to die of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc., and I've never met another overweight person who claimed otherwise. What fat asses like myself don't need or want is the media constantly shoving in our faces how unhealthy, unattractive, and how hedonistic we are, people constantly approaching me to say how bad for me my existence is, and the health Nazis who constantly push for taxing me for my existence or trying to force a change to my diet or shit.
At first I wanted to flip this paragraph, substituting "overweight" with "IQ under 70" and "fat ass" with "idiot" to show resemblance between these two human parameters, but I couldn't make myself do it.

People have less control over their level of intellect and overall education, than they have over their weight. You are born into certain educational level - if your parents do not happen to have a certain level of income, you are SOL for life. And you can't just starve yourself to a high SAT score.

But hey, guess what: noone in their sane mind openly(!) advocates idiocy, or asks the media to "shut up about this whole education thing already", or make a "dumb-acceptance" movement. Such sentiments did exist a few centuries ago, when education was viewed as corrupting. But hey, maybe in just in few years we will see a Renaissance of dumb-acceptance movement.
There is nothing "inherent" or "universal" about society praising or shaming something. It is always the recent fad - we shame one thing and praise another, only to switch 180 degrees in under a century. But at no point in time people will ever be truly out other people's hair.

P.S. Regarding the whole "bullying will not help me get thinner" comment I've seen earlier - everybody understands that, and nobody cares. Bullying will not get a 300-pound guy to exercise, but it will instill enough dread into hundreds of 200 pound guys to go and buy jogging boots.
Shaming works like the state penitentiary system: the few are made an example off to guide the many.
 

keitarobg

New member
Jan 19, 2009
48
0
0
This movie sounds a lot like "Generation P", the book (there's a movie, but I haven't seen it yet). Awfully alike... Someone's getting sued muehehe...
 

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
1,544
0
0
Sean Deli said:
CosmicCommander said:
I don't think any sane man would opt to be fat when if he were able to easily select his physique. Being fat is usually a fairly lucid choice people make; I'm aware I'm more likely to die of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc., and I've never met another overweight person who claimed otherwise. What fat asses like myself don't need or want is the media constantly shoving in our faces how unhealthy, unattractive, and how hedonistic we are, people constantly approaching me to say how bad for me my existence is, and the health Nazis who constantly push for taxing me for my existence or trying to force a change to my diet or shit.
At first I wanted to flip this paragraph, substituting "overweight" with "IQ under 70" and "fat ass" with "idiot" to show resemblance between these two human parameters, but I couldn't make myself do it.

People have less control over their level of intellect and overall education, than they have over their weight. You are born into certain educational level - if your parents do not happen to have a certain level of income, you are SOL for life. And you can't just starve yourself to a high SAT score.

But hey, guess what: noone in their sane mind openly(!) advocates idiocy, or asks the media to "shut up about this whole education thing already", or make a "dumb-acceptance" movement. Such sentiments did exist a few centuries ago, when education was viewed as corrupting. But hey, maybe in just in few years we will see a Renaissance of dumb-acceptance movement.
There is nothing "inherent" or "universal" about society praising or shaming something. It is always the recent fad - we shame one thing and praise another, only to switch 180 degrees in under a century. But at no point in time people will ever be truly out other people's hair.

P.S. Regarding the whole "bullying will not help me get thinner" comment I've seen earlier - everybody understands that, and nobody cares. Bullying will not get a 300-pound guy to exercise, but it will instill enough dread into hundreds of 200 pound guys to go and buy jogging boots.
Shaming works like the state penitentiary system: the few are made an example off to guide the many.
I'd reply to this, but I feel this post is one huge snide insinuation. I'm not going to report if because I don't know if it's intentionally offensive, but I'd ask you to select your words a bit more carefully in the future, chap.
 

Jegsimmons

New member
Nov 14, 2010
1,748
0
0
So, its an anti-corporate movie....that gets out via hollywood corporations....hollywood being more evil and manipulative than Monsanto.

I dont get anti-capitalism...i get anti-corpratism/commercialism....but anti-capitalism doesnt make sense to me, it isnt like communism where it caused the death of millions of people and open up to people right being stripped away.

also, i dont get the anti-fat sentiment. its one thing to promote good health...but being fat?
anyone get the idea that the makers may be supporters of a more....authoritarian policy....like i dont know...communism?

fuck i cant wait for red dawn....its about time we get a gun-ho red blooded MURRICAN movie with a bit of 80s cheese that doesnt involve mercenaries or jason bourne.