Escape to the Movies: Branded

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
I don't approve of the way you pronounce Max von Sydow's last name.

Anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zMT3SqgRfk

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Pretentious with pointless overwrought CGI imagery and popular ironically? Too bad it doesn't have scantily clad chicks fighting giant robot samurai.
-_-
A lot of words could be used to describe Suckerpunch, but I don't see "pretentious" being one of them.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Boston accent breaking through? It's that bad huh?

It's interesting though, this is the second review of Branded I've seen that wants me to stay away from it but somehow has the opposite effect ^^

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
LoathsomePete said:
Never even heard of this movie until now, but the videos Bob played throughout reminded me of another Russian movie, Nightwatch which sounded like a neat premise, but the execution was just a cavalcade of "how much acid do I need to take for this to start being good?" I definitely dislike it when people mishandle easy concepts like this, but considering how my town sucks so much we don't even get The Master, I doubt we'll be getting this any time soon.
Nightwatch is (very loosely) based on a book of the same name by Sergei Lukyanenko. The book is actually pretty awesome (even translated into English) and well worth a read if you like urban fantasy with a gothic feel.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
I stopped this video near the end because I presumed Bob would be the voice of reason and try to dissuade me from seeing it. Honestly, this sounds jaw-droppingly idiotic - something I would very much enjoy (between slapping myself across the face and softly sobbing, wondering how someone could get this funded)

Captcha: take care - see, even captcha is advising caution

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
piscian said:
Hmm I gotta say your review did exactly as you meant it not to. This review has got me interested in seeing this even if it is bad. One thing that has got me a weird is that you seem personally offended by the "Evils of obesity" message of the film and it's affected your review However, If that is the message of the film then I agree with it and now you've roped me into seeing it.
I agree that Bob makes it sound very tempting; I want to see this piece of shit, if only to see how shit it is.

Also, it is hard not find an "evils of obesity" message somewhat disturbing, at least if it is anything like how Bob is describing it (and judging by other critics, it most certainly is). There's a difference between saying "fat is unhealthy/problematic", and saying "fat people are idiotic, repulsive hoi polloi, who should be villified". This ain't no Wall - E.

planet.tyler

Mar 1, 2012
piscian said:
Hmm I gotta say your review did exactly as you meant it not to. This review has got me interested in seeing this even if it is bad. One thing that has got me a weird is that you seem personally offended by the "Evils of obesity" message of the film and it's affected your review However, If that is the message of the film then I agree with it and now you've roped me into seeing it.
my thoughts exactly; obesity should be frowned upon in the same way anorexia is in the media as they are both extreme weight conditions that should be looked upon as unhealthy.

Delta2501

Mar 31, 2010
I haven't seen the film so maybe it's handled as badly as he suggests and just an excuse to say "Aren't fat people disgusting", but couldn't obesity be seen as a legitimate symbol of consummerist excess? Alcoholism and general materialism would also work, but would be harder to portray, whereas obesity has obvious physical symptoms. The fact it is also bad for your health also helps you villify the "evil corportations" who want to spread their products regardless of the damage they do.

Evil corporations enslaving consumers with addictive or damaging products is hardly a new idea in media, why should the fact this portrayal had them preying on our natural predeliction for salt, sugar and fatty foodstuffs be so much more objectionable?

Archer666

May 27, 2011
This sounds surprisingly like a movie I'd made. Fat people being used as blobby fuel for the apocalypse. Totally seeing this!

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
shiajun said:
Yes, being fat is your fault. It's not only your fault, but living in a post-indsutrial society does not absolve you from the fact that you're using your body the wrong way. Not only is it evident that your physical activity is pitiful, it's also showing that you have little criteria in what you ingest. You don't need to eat out everytime. Cook at home and take lunch to work it there's no healthy place near you. Oh, it takes time and effort? Well, it's better that time and effort than the persitent damage your organs and bones are suffering from being forced through overweight. Also, if you're going to throw out the biological argument for fat storage, you can't just forget your body was also made to move. I'm not saying anyone should try to look like models, with zero fat deposits (and all their metabolic disorders that carries), but it is everyone's duty -yes, I use that word, duty- to keep their own body within healthy boundries of weight. If you are now overweight, my question always is: why didn't you stop before you got to this point? If you're here, being complacent with your obesity and asking everyone to not offend your sensibilities won't bring you back to a healthy body. If I sound callous, so be it. More often than not, it's poor habits and terrible discipline and education that make people obese, not some genetic disorder that couldn't be avoided.
You don't really get how being overweight works do you?

See, it's not about not exercising or eating bad food, for most people in the world it is very simply this:
They eat too much food.
Healthy food, good food, balanced food. Just too much.

Take me (hi), overweight and dropping it at a decent pace, I used to be a semi pro rugby player and rower and seriously fit but when I started to suffer from depression I cut those out, I still worked out 2/3 times a week and I have ALWAYS eaten good food, being taught to cook young but I gained weight fast. I was eating the same amount I used to but I'd changed how often and much I exercised. I am a truly terrible person.

I'm not saying all fat people should be given a Christian side hug and a doughnut but really, if you're going to chastise people for something you could at least get the facts straight.

For what it's worth I don't give a shit if people are fat, it just doesn't matter. There's a point where it becomes bad but that's well beyond fat and stepping in to morbid obesity, I'd rather people were smart and physically inept than statuesque idiots. Of course, I'd quite like all of humanity to be geniuses and look like gods but ideals are pointless to bring in. Realistically being overweight doesn't make much of a difference, going too far? Well, yeah, obviously. Some people don't care about the strain it puts on their bodies though and frankly I'm okay with that too. Just...yeah, don't be so silly.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
DugMachine said:
Furrama said:
One must remember that a small percentage of fat people have glandular or other issues that tend to make them larger with almost no input on their part. For most it's a lack of exercise, and for the rest it's overeating. And THEN not exercising enough to counteract it.
Even some glandular (not all) problems can be fought against though. One of my ex girlfriends had the problem and struggled with the weight all the time but if you're committed you can stave off most of the weight. Exercise and careful diet can maintain a decent size even with glandular issues.
Define 'decent size'. I think a part of the problem is that the concept of 'overweight' can be totally twisted and unrealistic in Hollywood movies. I'm normal weight, but by movie-standards I'm a whale.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Lieju said:
Define 'decent size'. I think a part of the problem is that the concept of 'overweight' can be totally twisted and unrealistic in Hollywood movies. I'm normal weight, but by movie-standards I'm a whale.
Normal weight I mean. Hell even slightly overweight is fine. Movie standards are just that, movie standards. We're not celebrities and everyday society doesn't expect us to be. Maybe the media and teenagers want to look like that but once you grow up you realize those standards mean shit.

It's not a matter of how you look, it's your health that must be looked at. Morbidly obese people are unhealthy, someone 10-30 pounds overweight isn't that bad off.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I have to say, even as a fat guy myself, that fat shaming in perfectly fine in many cases. Some people DO have excuses for becoming obese, most do not.

That said, tying the first world obesity epidemic to corperate manipulations is not exactly new, and has a lot of validity to it, in of itself. There are other reasons for it however including our access to all of this technology, and the resulting highly sedimentary jobs. To be honest the only way to counter this is to convince people to break specific patterns, and really shaming them is the only way to do it because the other aspects of society that could bring about changes have no vested interest in doing so. It's not a nice point, but a valid one I think.

I myself used to be pretty skinny, I bulked up a bit (well more than that) for work, then when my brain damage got to the point where I was forced to go on social security I started using a lot of drugs which not only contribute, but make me very tired. As a result my blubber/soft mass kind of exploded, and I have little energy for pretty much anything.

The point being that being there, there are reasons I will accept, heck there are even some cases where I'll accept overeating and such, but for the vast majority of people there really isn't any paticular excuse.

To an extent I DO blame things like plus size models, and the proliferation of hefty-size clothing stores and related services for sort of validating somethign most people should try and correct. I don't care if "Big and Tall" stores exist, but when you have smiling fatso models and present this kind of thing as okay and mainstream... well that's an issue.

I'll also point out that body mass does not always equate to fat either, which is something a lot of people seem to miss. Those who do powerlifting, as in actually increasing their strength to the limits, as opposed to body building (which is largely about sculpting muscles to look pretty), oftentimes look pretty fat and sloppy, but don't make the mistake of thinking these guys are actually fat. Most of the physically strongest guys I've known seemed pretty tubby if you didn't know better, they were also who I talked to when I built up my own strength a bit (even if it's now literally turned to liquid jelly).

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
DugMachine said:
Lieju said:
Normal weight I mean. Hell even slightly overweight is fine. Movie standards are just that, movie standards. We're not celebrities and everyday society doesn't expect us to be. Maybe the media and teenagers want to look like that but once you grow up you realize those standards mean shit.

It's not a matter of how you look, it's your health that must be looked at. Morbidly obese people are unhealthy, someone 10-30 pounds overweight isn't that bad off.
Yes, but we are talking about a movie here, and it's attitude towards fat people.

The problem with this discussion is that what is considered 'fat' is so different is movies than what it is in reality.
I totally agree that instead of weight, it's the quality of the diet that we should be worrying about.

But why should the movies be held to some totally different ideal? Why couldn't they look more normal and healthy?

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
How ironic is it that a movie which is all about evil advertisements has an incredibly dishonest ad campaign?

Markunator

Nov 10, 2011
According to the Spill Crew, Cosmopolis was, in fact, unbelievably pretentious:
http://www.spill.com/Audio/AudioPost.aspx?audioId=1278

I would very much like to see Bob talk about Cosmopolis; more specifically, about the criticisms against it, such as this review.

Also:
OlasDAlmighty said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Pretentious with pointless overwrought CGI imagery and popular ironically? Too bad it doesn't have scantily clad chicks fighting giant robot samurai.
-_-
A lot of words could be used to describe Suckerpunch, but I don't see "pretentious" being one of them.
A lot of people would beg to differ on that one. The Spill Crew is actually among them ...