Escape to the Movies: Broken City

l3o2828

New member
Mar 24, 2011
955
0
0
Nice review but...Did you post this a day early Bob?
Are you gonna be busy tomorrow?
 

Soviet Heavy

New member
Jan 22, 2010
12,218
0
0
Wow Anne Hathaway starring in a Shakespeare production? It's almost uncanny. Oh wait, that's because it's about as funny as Carrie Underwood marrying Mike Fisher, thus becoming new Carrie Fisher.
 

Urh

New member
Oct 9, 2010
216
0
0
I'm with Bob in regards to Gremlins. Except with many, many more no's.
 

Sylveria

New member
Nov 15, 2009
1,285
0
0
What, people upset about the Gremlins reboot? But reboots are cool, look at Devil May Cry. Stop your whining and enjoy your shitty reboot aimed at dumb 13yr olds with CGI gremlins and plenty of pointless cursing. Maybe they'll get Michael Bay to direct! Oh, what's, when it's something you like its not okay to reboot it?
 

MovieBob

New member
Dec 31, 2008
11,495
0
0
Did someone say...http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmz8N44VwGjPFgEYYAKfk1vXFRVNoQtADdSK585RKrXYKTkpXwcoPhD0Ew
I won't tolerate potholes in MY city!
Soviet Heavy said:
Wow Anne Hathaway starring in a Shakespeare production? It's almost uncanny. Oh wait, that's because it's about as funny as Carrie Underwood marrying Mike Fisher, thus becoming new Carrie Fisher.
Maybe next she'll star in the Broadway revival of Cats.
 

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
4,474
0
0
I may me preaching to the choir here, but isn't the whole point of the female lead in Taming of the Shrew that she's not in any way attractive or graceful, and that the male lead is only perusing her for her money?

Who the fuck thought that Anne Hathaway was the right person to cast here?! Does Hollywood really put no more thought into these things other than "We need a chick to front this movie. Hey, that Anne Hathaway is popular right now, let cast her. Genius!"?

Also you did give us permission to get it out of the way early so tee hee hee Anne Hathaway was also the name of Shakespeare's wife what a coincidence!
 

TheSchaef

New member
Feb 1, 2008
430
0
0
Good.

So long as they have eyeballs on rebooting Gremlins and Smurfs, there's a good chance they'll leave Goonies alone.
 

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
5,174
0
0
No.
No. No. No. No.
No. No. No. No.
No. No. No. No.
No. No. No. No.
etc.

you leave my Gremlins alone, dammit.
 

scarab7

New member
Jun 20, 2009
313
0
0
Good to know Broken City isn't bad, and I could really careless about The Last Stand. What I really wanted was a review of Mama.

and I'll agree that Gremlins needs to be left the hell alone.
 

Elijah Newton

New member
Sep 17, 2008
456
0
0
While I'm just as happy to have the Swartzenegger flick summarized ("It's good it's just not five minutes of review material good"), I found it ironic that Broken City clocked in at about 3 minutes 30 sec.
 

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
4,748
373
88
Country
USA
I see Ahnold tonight. Bob says if I liked "Eraser" (and I did, a lot) then I'll like this. If it is as good as Eraser, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
 

MovieBob

New member
Dec 31, 2008
11,495
0
0
I can't be the only one who couldn't care less about Anne Hathaway and her ugly face, so please, if anyone agrees, make some noise!

As for Broken City, I was afraid it would turn out to be the same kind of disappointment as Gangster Squad; Glad to see that's not the case!
 

Phuctifyno

New member
Jul 6, 2010
418
0
0
Not a Lit Major, but somewhat a Bardophile.... tee hee hee hee hee hee...

teeeeee hee heeh eehee heheh ehe h huk ugh hack. cough.


OT: Looks good, I'll check it out if I can. Surprised you didn't mention Ben Affleck's (directed) movies in this review. Seems similar.
 

Phuctifyno

New member
Jul 6, 2010
418
0
0
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I may me preaching to the choir here, but isn't the whole point of the Joker in The Dark Knight that he's not in any way attractive or graceful, and that the God-Damn Batman is only pummeling him for justice?

Who the fuck thought that Heath Ledger was the right person to cast here?! Does Hollywood really put no more thought into these things other than "We need a dude to front this movie. Hey, that Heath Ledger is popular right now, let cast him. Genius!"?
answer: ACTING!
 

brazuca

New member
Jun 11, 2008
275
0
0
No Bob, the Shooter is a great movie on it's own. Machete is a cheesy film B that works. Also is it noir flick modernized? I think so.
 

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
4,474
0
0
Phuctifyno said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I may me preaching to the choir here, but isn't the whole point of the Joker in The Dark Knight that he's not in any way attractive or graceful, and that the God-Damn Batman is only pummeling him for justice?

Who the fuck thought that Heath Ledger was the right person to cast here?! Does Hollywood really put no more thought into these things other than "We need a dude to front this movie. Hey, that Heath Ledger is popular right now, let cast him. Genius!"?
answer: ACTING!
Well, that's not entirely an apt comparison. For one thing, the joker has been played in a number of different ways by a number of different people depending on who's interpretation of the Batman universe you're in, and while Nolan did expand on the possible mentality of the Joker, he did it whilst still keeping hold of the core essence of that character that was already more complex than you are making out.

For another, at the time Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker he wasn't getting anywhere near as much exposure as Anne Hathaway is right now. Rather it was his performance in The Dark Knight that gave him that exposure (or would have done if he'd lived long enough to reap it). Anyway, just because Ledger did a stellar (and completely unexpected) performance in The Dark Knight, that wouldn't have suddenly made him the right casting choice for every male lead for every high profile film for the next few years.

Yes, Anne Hathaway is a good actress, I'm not disputing that. However, so are a lot of other people who would have also been a better fit for this role. It annoys me because people who are just as good, and a better fit for the role are missing out on potentially a big break because Anne Hathaway is already a high profile name and they're not so much. However, it also sucks because Anne Hathaway is a good enough actress to deserve roles on her own merit, and not just because she's the industry darling of the moment and the producers know that slapping her name on their movie will pull in audiences.
 

maninahat

New member
Nov 8, 2007
4,398
0
0
DVS BSTrD said:
Did someone say...http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmz8N44VwGjPFgEYYAKfk1vXFRVNoQtADdSK585RKrXYKTkpXwcoPhD0Ew
I won't tolerate potholes in MY city!
Woah, what movie has Frazier Crane playing the mayor? I have to see that!

...wait, no I don't. Kelsey Grammer doesn't tend to star in good thigns these days. Last movie I saw him in was An American Carol.
 

MovieBob

New member
Dec 31, 2008
11,495
0
0
maninahat said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Did someone say...http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmz8N44VwGjPFgEYYAKfk1vXFRVNoQtADdSK585RKrXYKTkpXwcoPhD0Ew
I won't tolerate potholes in MY city!
Woah, what movie has Frazier Crane playing the mayor? I have to see that!

...wait, no I don't. Kelsey Grammer doesn't tend to star in good thigns these days. Last movie I saw him in was An American Carol.
It's actually a STARZ tv show called Boss, where his character is slowly loosing his mind. But it probably wasn't very good, seeing as how it wasn't renewed for a third season. The pothole this actually a reference to a particular scene.
 

Strain42

New member
Mar 2, 2009
2,720
0
0
While I hated the movie itself, I loved Kelsey Grammer as Beast in X-Men III. I thought that was a good casting choice.

And as far as Gremlins go...I'm on the fence. I'm not opposed to seeing a new Gremlins as a concept, I think it just depends on A. who they cast B. How they direct it and C. How bad the inevitable CGI Mogwai and Gremlins end up looking (it would be great if they kept the puppets, but I don't see that happening)

To be honest, I actually think the concept of Gremlins is something that would work even better now. Their whole gimmick is about how they mess with electronics and gadgets...well we certainly have a lot more of those in the year 2013 than we did back in 84.

I'm not gonna say I'm happy about the idea, but I'm willing to see where it goes before I pass judgement.
 

emeraldrafael

New member
Jul 17, 2010
8,589
0
0
Gremlins reboot?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
is how its going to be seen, you know this bob.
 

Phuctifyno

New member
Jul 6, 2010
418
0
0
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Phuctifyno said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I may me preaching to the choir here, but isn't the whole point of the Joker in The Dark Knight that he's not in any way attractive or graceful, and that the God-Damn Batman is only pummeling him for justice?

Who the fuck thought that Heath Ledger was the right person to cast here?! Does Hollywood really put no more thought into these things other than "We need a dude to front this movie. Hey, that Heath Ledger is popular right now, let cast him. Genius!"?
answer: ACTING!
Well, that's not entirely an apt comparison. For one thing, the joker has been played in a number of different ways by a number of different people depending on who's interpretation of the Batman universe you're in, and while Nolan did expand on the possible mentality of the Joker, he did it whilst still keeping hold of the core essence of that character that was already more complex than you are making out.

For another, at the time Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker he wasn't getting anywhere near as much exposure as Anne Hathaway is right now. Rather it was his performance in The Dark Knight that gave him that exposure (or would have done if he'd lived long enough to reap it). Anyway, just because Ledger did a stellar (and completely unexpected) performance in The Dark Knight, that wouldn't have suddenly made him the right casting choice for every male lead for every high profile film for the next few years.

Yes, Anne Hathaway is a good actress, I'm not disputing that. However, so are a lot of other people who would have also been a better fit for this role. It annoys me because people who are just as good, and a better fit for the role are missing out on potentially a big break because Anne Hathaway is already a high profile name and they're not so much. However, it also sucks because Anne Hathaway is a good enough actress to deserve roles on her own merit, and not just because she's the industry darling of the moment and the producers know that slapping her name on their movie will pull in audiences.
A valid concern, but I still hold that its a madlib complaint. The actor/actress is innocent until proven guilty, when the film is seen. I actually think Hathaway has a somewhat untapped range that was hinted at on her SNL appearance.

Because of her name, it was only a matter of time before she showed up in a Shakespeare movie. There's no way they would pass that joke up, even if its a lame joke. I think putting her in "Shrew" is the funniest way to pull that joke off, hinting that ol' Bill wrote it about his wife.

As for playing aganist type, I feel I also could have mentioned Matt Damon in The Informant, Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder, or (especially) Charlize Theron in Monster. All roles that should have gone to Phillip Seymour Hoffman, by your logic. Quack.
 

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
168
0
0
This film doesn't have Mariska Hargitay in it. So thanks but no thanks.

Oh and before I forget: I say nay to a reboot but Gremlins III would be possible. One where Zach Galligan has a son with Phoebe Cates (both could use a career booster because, well they don't have one any more). No Justin Bieber, stay put where you are. And also Gizmo has aged wisely but still the loveable character we know and love. Throw in a John Glover gone from a wacky 80's Gordon Gekko impersonation to a new age self help guru and a Joe Dante direction mix in it and you got yourself a film deal. You know where to find me, the people of Warner Brothers if you want more details. *twirls his imaginary moustache like Snidely Whiplash*
 

The Great JT

New member
Oct 6, 2008
3,721
0
0
Gremlins? Reboot? HAVE YOU LOST YOUR BLOODY MIND?!

The only time the words "Gremlins" and "reboot" should be in the same sentence is, "Among the many movies that need/deserve a reboot, Gremlins is not one of them."
 

JaredXE

New member
Apr 1, 2009
1,378
0
0
Umm, Anne Hathaway could be playing Bianca you know. So the the whole "she's pretty and fun and everyone wants her" fits right in. She doesn't have to be Katherina.
 

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
3,126
0
0
SadakoMoose said:
Forget the Gremlins reboot, who the hell wanted another version of Taming of the Shrew?
A producer who said I don't want writers or to pay for a script.

Of course, those are some pretty big shoes to fill.
 

Darth_Payn

New member
Aug 5, 2009
2,868
0
0
JaredXE said:
Umm, Anne Hathaway could be playing Bianca you know. So the the whole "she's pretty and fun and everyone wants her" fits right in. She doesn't have to be Katherina.
Well, that's a good point, but isn't she such a versatile actrass that she can play an otherwise unpleasant character? And I thought there was a modern version of Taming of the Shrew, called "10 Things I Hate about You."
 

Sonder Saunters

New member
Oct 24, 2009
77
0
0
English Lit. Majors? What about us folk who PAID ATTENTION in high school English 12? Give some of us kids a little credit, Bob. ;)
 

SNCommand

New member
Aug 29, 2011
283
0
0
Figured the political stuff would be the weak link of the movie, let me guess, Russel Crowe is the guy who ends up wearing the Romney mask
 

SadakoMoose

New member
Jun 10, 2009
1,200
0
0
vxicepickxv said:
SadakoMoose said:
Forget the Gremlins reboot, who the hell wanted another version of Taming of the Shrew?
A producer who said I don't want writers or to pay for a script.

Of course, those are some pretty big shoes to fill.
Well yeah, but I mean of all the Shakespeare plays, why Shrew? Aside from arguably popularizing the formula used by ever creepy misogynist rom-com ever, it's probably one of Shakespeare's least valuable plays. Hamlet, when re-purposed to appeal to a modern audience no problem. Shrew's history is just too problematic. You can't adapt Shrew without dredging up it's difficult and uncomfortable history. One time, I saw a performance of Shrew wherein they kept the dialogue almost exactly the same, but modernized the costumes and setting. It was worse than any Jennifer Aniston vehicle you could possibly imagine.
 

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
1,942
0
0
Pyrian said:
Whoa. That's a lot of Hathaway side-boob. 8)
You apparently need to see that Jake Gyllenhaal Anne Hathaway movie "Love and other Drugs." You see a lot more.

I've never been a fan of Taming of the Shrew. I also don't like Romeo and Juliet yet call myself an otherwise "fan" of Shakespeare. I guess I'm just a bit odd.

That being said, I guess I don't get why you would "giggle" at Hathaway being in TotS. Is it because she used to be "innocent" in a lot of her earlier films? Or that she just doesn't fit the character of Kate?
 

octafish

New member
Apr 23, 2010
5,137
0
0
Wait is that James Ransone I saw for the briefest of moments then? I like his work, I might try and check this one out.

I would totally watch a reboot of Gremlins if Dante did it. Yes I would. Third best Christmas movie, right after Die Hard and A Muppet Christmas Carol, and above Bad Santa and the original Miracle on 34th Street.
 
Apr 17, 2009
1,752
0
0
RTR said:
Someone's gonna have to explain the Hathaway joke to me
Shakespeare's wife (I'm assuming you know it was Shakespeare who write Taming of the Shrew, right? Escapist peeps are generally pretty savvy about that sort of thing but you never can tell, so I apologise if I have besmirched your intelligence) was also called Anne Hathaway. So you have someone with the same name as Shakey's wife starring in an adaption of a Shakey play. Ho ho ho the hilarity
 

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
4,748
373
88
Country
USA
Got to see "The Last Stand" and movie Bob is right. It was fun enough. Nice, relatively A grade production values kind of grade B action movie. But I just read it and Broken City are both tanking at the box office likely for the same reason: we can get these sort of things on TV in our nice comfortable homes.