Escape to the Movies: Broken City

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
No Bob, the Shooter is a great movie on it's own. Machete is a cheesy film B that works. Also is it noir flick modernized? I think so.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Phuctifyno said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I may me preaching to the choir here, but isn't the whole point of the Joker in The Dark Knight that he's not in any way attractive or graceful, and that the God-Damn Batman is only pummeling him for justice?

Who the fuck thought that Heath Ledger was the right person to cast here?! Does Hollywood really put no more thought into these things other than "We need a dude to front this movie. Hey, that Heath Ledger is popular right now, let cast him. Genius!"?
answer: ACTING!
Well, that's not entirely an apt comparison. For one thing, the joker has been played in a number of different ways by a number of different people depending on who's interpretation of the Batman universe you're in, and while Nolan did expand on the possible mentality of the Joker, he did it whilst still keeping hold of the core essence of that character that was already more complex than you are making out.

For another, at the time Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker he wasn't getting anywhere near as much exposure as Anne Hathaway is right now. Rather it was his performance in The Dark Knight that gave him that exposure (or would have done if he'd lived long enough to reap it). Anyway, just because Ledger did a stellar (and completely unexpected) performance in The Dark Knight, that wouldn't have suddenly made him the right casting choice for every male lead for every high profile film for the next few years.

Yes, Anne Hathaway is a good actress, I'm not disputing that. However, so are a lot of other people who would have also been a better fit for this role. It annoys me because people who are just as good, and a better fit for the role are missing out on potentially a big break because Anne Hathaway is already a high profile name and they're not so much. However, it also sucks because Anne Hathaway is a good enough actress to deserve roles on her own merit, and not just because she's the industry darling of the moment and the producers know that slapping her name on their movie will pull in audiences.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
DVS BSTrD said:
Did someone say...http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmz8N44VwGjPFgEYYAKfk1vXFRVNoQtADdSK585RKrXYKTkpXwcoPhD0Ew
I won't tolerate potholes in MY city!
Woah, what movie has Frazier Crane playing the mayor? I have to see that!

...wait, no I don't. Kelsey Grammer doesn't tend to star in good thigns these days. Last movie I saw him in was An American Carol.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
While I hated the movie itself, I loved Kelsey Grammer as Beast in X-Men III. I thought that was a good casting choice.

And as far as Gremlins go...I'm on the fence. I'm not opposed to seeing a new Gremlins as a concept, I think it just depends on A. who they cast B. How they direct it and C. How bad the inevitable CGI Mogwai and Gremlins end up looking (it would be great if they kept the puppets, but I don't see that happening)

To be honest, I actually think the concept of Gremlins is something that would work even better now. Their whole gimmick is about how they mess with electronics and gadgets...well we certainly have a lot more of those in the year 2013 than we did back in 84.

I'm not gonna say I'm happy about the idea, but I'm willing to see where it goes before I pass judgement.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Gremlins reboot?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
is how its going to be seen, you know this bob.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Phuctifyno said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I may me preaching to the choir here, but isn't the whole point of the Joker in The Dark Knight that he's not in any way attractive or graceful, and that the God-Damn Batman is only pummeling him for justice?

Who the fuck thought that Heath Ledger was the right person to cast here?! Does Hollywood really put no more thought into these things other than "We need a dude to front this movie. Hey, that Heath Ledger is popular right now, let cast him. Genius!"?
answer: ACTING!
Well, that's not entirely an apt comparison. For one thing, the joker has been played in a number of different ways by a number of different people depending on who's interpretation of the Batman universe you're in, and while Nolan did expand on the possible mentality of the Joker, he did it whilst still keeping hold of the core essence of that character that was already more complex than you are making out.

For another, at the time Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker he wasn't getting anywhere near as much exposure as Anne Hathaway is right now. Rather it was his performance in The Dark Knight that gave him that exposure (or would have done if he'd lived long enough to reap it). Anyway, just because Ledger did a stellar (and completely unexpected) performance in The Dark Knight, that wouldn't have suddenly made him the right casting choice for every male lead for every high profile film for the next few years.

Yes, Anne Hathaway is a good actress, I'm not disputing that. However, so are a lot of other people who would have also been a better fit for this role. It annoys me because people who are just as good, and a better fit for the role are missing out on potentially a big break because Anne Hathaway is already a high profile name and they're not so much. However, it also sucks because Anne Hathaway is a good enough actress to deserve roles on her own merit, and not just because she's the industry darling of the moment and the producers know that slapping her name on their movie will pull in audiences.
A valid concern, but I still hold that its a madlib complaint. The actor/actress is innocent until proven guilty, when the film is seen. I actually think Hathaway has a somewhat untapped range that was hinted at on her SNL appearance.

Because of her name, it was only a matter of time before she showed up in a Shakespeare movie. There's no way they would pass that joke up, even if its a lame joke. I think putting her in "Shrew" is the funniest way to pull that joke off, hinting that ol' Bill wrote it about his wife.

As for playing aganist type, I feel I also could have mentioned Matt Damon in The Informant, Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder, or (especially) Charlize Theron in Monster. All roles that should have gone to Phillip Seymour Hoffman, by your logic. Quack.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
This film doesn't have Mariska Hargitay in it. So thanks but no thanks.

Oh and before I forget: I say nay to a reboot but Gremlins III would be possible. One where Zach Galligan has a son with Phoebe Cates (both could use a career booster because, well they don't have one any more). No Justin Bieber, stay put where you are. And also Gizmo has aged wisely but still the loveable character we know and love. Throw in a John Glover gone from a wacky 80's Gordon Gekko impersonation to a new age self help guru and a Joe Dante direction mix in it and you got yourself a film deal. You know where to find me, the people of Warner Brothers if you want more details. *twirls his imaginary moustache like Snidely Whiplash*

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Gremlins? Reboot? HAVE YOU LOST YOUR BLOODY MIND?!

The only time the words "Gremlins" and "reboot" should be in the same sentence is, "Among the many movies that need/deserve a reboot, Gremlins is not one of them."

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Umm, Anne Hathaway could be playing Bianca you know. So the the whole "she's pretty and fun and everyone wants her" fits right in. She doesn't have to be Katherina.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
SadakoMoose said:
Forget the Gremlins reboot, who the hell wanted another version of Taming of the Shrew?
A producer who said I don't want writers or to pay for a script.

Of course, those are some pretty big shoes to fill.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
JaredXE said:
Umm, Anne Hathaway could be playing Bianca you know. So the the whole "she's pretty and fun and everyone wants her" fits right in. She doesn't have to be Katherina.
Well, that's a good point, but isn't she such a versatile actrass that she can play an otherwise unpleasant character? And I thought there was a modern version of Taming of the Shrew, called "10 Things I Hate about You."

Sonder Saunters

Oct 24, 2009
English Lit. Majors? What about us folk who PAID ATTENTION in high school English 12? Give some of us kids a little credit, Bob. ;)

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Figured the political stuff would be the weak link of the movie, let me guess, Russel Crowe is the guy who ends up wearing the Romney mask

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
vxicepickxv said:
SadakoMoose said:
Forget the Gremlins reboot, who the hell wanted another version of Taming of the Shrew?
A producer who said I don't want writers or to pay for a script.

Of course, those are some pretty big shoes to fill.
Well yeah, but I mean of all the Shakespeare plays, why Shrew? Aside from arguably popularizing the formula used by ever creepy misogynist rom-com ever, it's probably one of Shakespeare's least valuable plays. Hamlet, when re-purposed to appeal to a modern audience no problem. Shrew's history is just too problematic. You can't adapt Shrew without dredging up it's difficult and uncomfortable history. One time, I saw a performance of Shrew wherein they kept the dialogue almost exactly the same, but modernized the costumes and setting. It was worse than any Jennifer Aniston vehicle you could possibly imagine.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Pyrian said:
Whoa. That's a lot of Hathaway side-boob. 8)
You apparently need to see that Jake Gyllenhaal Anne Hathaway movie "Love and other Drugs." You see a lot more.

I've never been a fan of Taming of the Shrew. I also don't like Romeo and Juliet yet call myself an otherwise "fan" of Shakespeare. I guess I'm just a bit odd.

That being said, I guess I don't get why you would "giggle" at Hathaway being in TotS. Is it because she used to be "innocent" in a lot of her earlier films? Or that she just doesn't fit the character of Kate?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Wait is that James Ransone I saw for the briefest of moments then? I like his work, I might try and check this one out.

I would totally watch a reboot of Gremlins if Dante did it. Yes I would. Third best Christmas movie, right after Die Hard and A Muppet Christmas Carol, and above Bad Santa and the original Miracle on 34th Street.