Escape to the Movies: Captain America

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
He speaks the truth the movie was awesome. It's dripping in good work and I'm now convinced if marvel can't pull off an avengers movie, then no one can. On a side note I got tickets for a non 3D showing, but due to some confusion they ended up playing the 3d version in my auditorium, and passing out 3d glasses. So while I didn't pay 3d ticket prices I was still kinda bummed. One reason is that I was kinda sick of wearing glasses over my glasses, and the second is that the 3d was kinda bad. I would occasionally get taken out of the movie by noticing the jittery 3d effects particularly on CG heavy scenes. I strongly suggest you opt for the 2d show.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
I don't really have anything to say about the Captain America movie since I pretty much agree with everything you had said, and thus does not need to be said again. But in regards to the Spider-Man trailer that was mentioned at the end credits: What?

I went to see Captain America with twenty other people. Yes, twenty (or so :p). And let me tell you, one of the things we discussed before we even went into the theater was how annoyed and skeptical we were about the Spider-Man reboot. That all changed when we saw the trailer. I don't know what you saw, Bob.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
You have no idea how happy this review just made me. I don't agree with ever review you did, but you know what a good super hero movie is, that's for sure. So far, your super hero movie reviews have been flawless.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
I'm also on the fence about the whole, "it was explained in the last movie" aspect. It should make sense, no matter what order they are watched in.

glad to hear that the movie's good though.

poor WB and DC... They just can't catch a break...

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
You know, I've always thought that Captain America was kind of the Superman of Marvel, only with less amazing superpowers. It's a symbol of everything good and what an ideal American citizen should be. That really pleases me to hear that the movie basically keeps to that, although when you said it's completely devoid of irony, I didn't know what you meant... Because I can't tell if a movie is being "ironic", mostly because I take everything at face value (a really bad fault of mine, I admit). Good thing I don't have to worry about that for this movie.

I'm totally going to go see it this weekend... right after I see the Winnie the Pooh movie again!

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
Captain America will be released in a few days here and I am going on vacation tommorrow. So I wont be seeing it for a couple of weeks.

Both your reviews of Thor and X-Men First Class were great. You seem even more excited about this one so I cant wait to see it in the cinema.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
teebeeohh said:
doing anything but playing the movie straight could not have possibly worked with the character. unfortunately i have to wait a month till the movie is released in Germany.
Yeah... stupid waiting times. This sounds good... much needed after the last few "great action films" of the last months.

Zeitgeist1983

Jul 20, 2011
Nautical Honors Society said:
Zeitgeist1983 said:
Sounds interesting... But will anyone care outside America?
Most major superheroes are Americans, in America, saving Americans.

Yes they save the planet here and there, but it is mostly America.

Captain America is not a patriotic demon (he actually fought against the American government in Civil War), he is a super solider forced into the role of an icon.

He is very relatable, and other countries would have no problem enjoying such a character.
Guess you are right and I understand that the character isn´t that stupid black and white patriotic. But I think the costume itself will alienate potential foreign viewers who are not that familiar with comic books.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I can't say how happy your review has made me. I find that, for the most part, I agree with your movie reviews. I have to wait till Monday to see it with my girlfriend because I promised. But it's a relief to see they made consistently good movies leading up to the Avengers, and it's an even bigger relief to see Cap is the best one, he is one of my top three favorite characters and the thing that made Civil War worth reading for me, not that it wasn't amazing, but his motivation is an exact replica of my emotions on the same type of things. It was like watching a "What if..." of yourself as a superhero.

Jyggalag

Jan 21, 2011
FINALLY! I have been waiting for something GOOD to come out this year, and I trust Bob's judgment enough to check out this movie asap. Speaking of, considering how Ironman 1 and 2 are one of my alltime favorite movies, and how they're creating an epic Avengers movie bringing Thor, Ironman and Captain America together, I should probably check out Thor when I get the chance.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Zeitgeist1983 said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
Zeitgeist1983 said:
Sounds interesting... But will anyone care outside America?
Most major superheroes are Americans, in America, saving Americans.

Yes they save the planet here and there, but it is mostly America.

Captain America is not a patriotic demon (he actually fought against the American government in Civil War), he is a super solider forced into the role of an icon.

He is very relatable, and other countries would have no problem enjoying such a character.
Guess you are right and I understand that the character isn´t that stupid black and white patriotic. But I think the costume itself will alienate potential foreign viewers who are not that familiar with comic books.
I feel that the costume aside, he exemplifies what it means to be a genuinely good human being who is constantly trying to do good, willing to sacrifice himself but not willing to destroy himself to make his point. I think pretty much everyone can enjoy the character.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Cool, probably going to see it tonight.

And I didn't think the Amazing Spider-Man looked that bad, maybe that's just me.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
Incredible. 0_o

Since this review didn't fall into any of the quirks I dislike in movie reviews (or yours), I guess I'll give this a go like I did with Splice. (Glad you recommended that piece. Cracky as it was)

Notashrimp09

Apr 27, 2009
My favorite part of the movie was Peggy Carter. You just don't see female characters like that coming out of Hollywood very often anymore.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Saw the midnight showing, was freakin awesome! I admit I was wrong in my opinions about Chris Evans' ability to pull off serious......he can definately do Cap.

Great job Marvel, and don't let me down Joss. I swear, if you push your pathos button of "Kill random character to make audience sad now", you will be killed so many nerds.....soooo many nerds.