Escape to the Movies: Cars 2

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
That stinger at the end made me go into hysterics, well done.

My nephew is going to love this no matter how it turns out and I'll probably go along for the ride. It isn't Pixar's best material but hey, it is still Pixar. Oh and thanks for reminding me that I still have to watch Toy Story 3.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
draythefingerless said:
pre war cybertron....this just became a really good prequel.
More than that, it just became my personal canon! Mater is now the acidental first Prime and begining of the Matrix of Leadership. Who would have thought it was beans that were the prime material for it?

wehrp3nguin

Dec 21, 2009
As soon as he said "world designed to fit physiology of Sentient cars" I thought, those words are too big for this movie... Transformers!(1980s animated deceptomatons version)

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
So you're totally certain that there's NEVER going to be another Green Lantern movie, even if it's a reboot?

Also, I never much cared for Cars and the fact they're amking a sequel makes me feel like Pixar's "selling-out", ESPECIALLY after finding out there's going to be a direct-to-DVD spin-off called Planes! This is like Michael Eisner Disney stuff, what the Hell Pixar?!

Still, it's nice to see it's not as bad as you made Cars 2 out to be. It's also nice to see that you backtracked all the bad things you said about Cars and said it's not as bad as everyone made it out to be.

lol, Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
The first cars was fine, no it's not amazing, but it's entertaining, especially for kids.

This is an obvious money grab, but as long as I can be entertained and the kids enjoy it, who cares. I have two kids so I already have to buy Cars everything anyway, and if it wasn't Cars it would be some other toy. So knowing that they at least earned the money by presenting me and my family with a decent movie, I'm ok with that.

It's a lot better than a terrible movie with crappy toys.

Finding Nemo is the best of the Pixar bunch in my opinion, followed by Toy Story 3.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
Don't you point your furry sausages at me you lemur!
I did not really like Madagascar.
the only movie that I did like was Shrek
sorry if that offends your lemur friend.

MrDefo

Jun 7, 2010
Alright Bob, good review as usual, you do a good job of presenting both sides, and honestly you've made me more inclined to see this movie than I first would have. It is kind of disheartening to see a company that's so consistently excellent put out something less than spectacular, but really it was only a matter of time. All things constant, an institution or person or idea will eventually fail you in some way, 100% of the time.

Additionally, please knock it off with the Green Lantern bashing. You did a review, you mentioned it on Big Picture, you made a jab here - I'm not saying you're not right, but you need to let it go before you start looking old-man, get-off-of-my-lawn-ish. And that's going to kill your shows in the long run, if you let that happen.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
I hate explaining jokes but this is what I got fro the "Jaguar" thing.

Jaguar is a big cat. Another big cat is a Cougar.

Implying she is a Cougar by making her a Jaguar car.

Not that funny I know but that's what I think it is.

brinvixen

Mar 3, 2011
Didn't like Cars, so can't imagine liking Cars 2. Cars was the only Disney movie that really felt that it was "kids-only" as opposed to their other movies that had adult subtexts. And especially when coming out after (adult) heavy-hitters such as Wall-E, Up and Toy Story 3, it looks like a very weak installment to the Pixar movie line-up. But I'm sure kids will enjoy it, and it will make enough money for the NEXT Pixar movie to be great. (Although, to be perfectly honest, I can't see them ever topping Toy Story 3. It's their Magnum Opus for sure)

... And I'll probably watch Cars 2 at some point, since I've watched all the Pixar movies. I'll just wait till it hits TV.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
This was a surprisingly insightful review o_O

I totally expected you to mindlessly rip it to shreds, but you didn't, which was cool.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
Moriarty70 said:
draythefingerless said:
More than that, it just became my personal canon! Mater is now the acidental first Prime and begining of the Matrix of Leadership. Who would have thought it was beans that were the prime material for it?
so whos megatron?

Azure Knight-Zeo

Jun 7, 2010
A new Toy Story short? That's almost enough for me to go see it. I'm not because I hated Mater from the first one and having him as the main now sounds like one of my levels of hell.

Also "Planes" seriously?

rayen020

May 20, 2009
i never thought cars was bad, maybe pixars worst movie but that's like saying it's the ugliest Miss America contestant. i will probably see cars 2 soon, my children obsessed over the first movie and probably will over this one too, but if it's better great day for me

daitsdudes

Feb 9, 2011
Somewhat ok review but I take fault with what Bob said Cars was about, each pixar movie is about way more than what its about Like Toy Story and abandonment and Finding Nemo was growth and moving on. I always felt Cars was about the dying of some the classic parts of Americana like the small roadside town through the lense of Nascar. It seemed to very personal story.

SatansBestBuddy

Sep 7, 2007
... is it bad that I kinda want to see this movie just for the Toy Story short?

I mean, I liked Cars 1 well enough, but Cars 2 is my dreamed of Pixar spy movie... with cars. =/

I don't want to see it on the principle alone.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I love Cars, was one of the first films I bought on Bluray to try out my high-def tele and sound system (the opening scene where Lightning drives out - awesome!) and Ive been looking forward to Cars 2 for awhile.

Sure, its not the most involving storyline but as a bit of a car geek I loved seeing all the references (some in your face, some a bit more subtle) so Im expecting a similar experience from Cars 2.

Even the Cars short kid series with Tow Mater was pretty cool, especially the Tokyo Drift parody :D

Azure Knight-Zeo

Jun 7, 2010
zombie711 said:
Moriarty70 said:
draythefingerless said:
so whos megatron?
Well they say Optimus and Megs where friends and "like bothers" in the past, so does that mean Lightning Macqueen will have an accident and turn into a tank or jet?