Escape to the Movies: Cars 2

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
I'd have to say that from all pixar movies the one I've truly liked and was moved by was Wall-E.The rest were shallow eye candy that people take their kids to without real sustenance but I guess these movies were never intended for me.I could also just be a Dreamworks fanboy :p.

Angelus SnV

Nov 19, 2009
Alright Bob, ENOUGH WITH THE GORRAM GREEN LANTERN HATRED!!! I've been watchin' all your vids from day one, and i really think you're startin' t'lose it my friend. You are gettin' what i refer to as "Critic Burnout" where if somethin' doesn't live up to your overly-high expectations, you automatically label it as sh*t and spend th'next 4-8 minutes bashin' not only th'film in question, but any and all fans of said film because they were "idiotic" enough to actually enjoy it...

Green Lantern on the other hand, you CONTINUE TO BASH into th'next review! Ok enough! Your little fanboy crush on Hal Jordan didn't get it's wish-fulfilment fantasy by DC making another "Dark Knight" or "Watchmen"! Deal with it and move on!

Fast Five, Pirates 4, and probably a few more that i haven't actually seen yet, may not've been th'best movies on th'planet but they were all FUN! Y'remember that right? What th'entire film industry was s'posed to be about? That thing based on ENTER-F*CKING-TAINMENT...Not every movie has to be a "revolution" for it to be worth seeing and i'm sick of you not only attacking those, but th'fans of those movies for finding enjoyment in them....

*sigh*

/rant

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
Yeah....the first Cars was really soulless in my opinion. It could have been good, but the problem is that none of the characters were ever compelling enough to hit the point of "we're losing our history" home as a true message.

Especially because I've seen movies with the same premise do it MUCH better.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Cars, along with Incredibles, is my favourite Pixar film because its aesthetics are AWESOME! So glad to hear their focusing on the world they live in this time, which I sort of guessed when I saw they were going all over the globe.

As for Green Lanturn (which I intend to see tomorrow), now I understand why you hated the first Transformers film so much, which I thought was preaty good. Its not nice seeing stuff you grew up with ripped apart to appeal to more people... which is why I despise the new Clash of the Titans... piece of crap movie... on a side note Bridesmaids was really good, what Hangover 2 should have been.

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
I really believe people are too hard on Cars. I agree it was probably Pixar's worst film...but that's not saying much, because Pixar puts out excellent movies. Cars was just good instead of great. I'm glad Bob acknowledges this sort of, but saying every character was one-dimensional is just too much. I haven't seen the movie in a while, but a lot of characters have moments of revelation and all that sentimental stuff.

Shadu

Nov 10, 2010
I must say that I disliked Cars (I just found it overall sort of...not very good), however, I really didn't care for Mator. That being said, a movie mostly about Mator doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I might, MIGHT, see it when it hits DVD. But that's only if my library gets it and I can see it for free because there's no way I'm paying for this movie.

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
Uh, yeah, good review and stuff, but is it OK if I go off-topic for a second?
I watched the first Transformers movie and kinda... liked it. The sequel was horrible, but I'm worried I might look like a douchebag saying I liked Transformers. Can someone recommend me a good douchebag-proof movie I can watch to prove my non-douchebaginess?
*ahem* Back on topic...
The original Cars movie was alright with me, not in the top 5 Pixar films but still a good watch, but this sequel sounds like a cash grab crap fest. I'm not going to watch it.

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
My dad actually loves Cars and has it as his favorite Pixar because it's the first movie with no humans and the tribute to the Old Mother Road.

That and he actually worked with the man who voiced the cop car, because he did a film on Route 66.

As for me Incredibles is personally my least favorite Pixar, with Up being my fav so hopefully I will enjoy this movie though ^^;; I mean I liked the first one... but the main reason my mom and I are seeing the movie is because one of our favorite sea captains from Deadliest Catch got a cameo.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
I don't know if making the Cars world pre-war Cybertron is a good idea, but getting Peter Cullen to provide a voice would be nice.

daitsdudes

Feb 9, 2011
Which makes Cars one of the most interesting emotional Pixar films. Its John Lassiter putting his feelings out there for the world and looking at what critics say. It's a shame Bob didn't touch on that. It bothers me that Bob doesn't go deeper

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Wait, there are people that don't like The Incredibles? I think I need to sit down for a second...

Panda Mania

Jul 1, 2009
Well yes, it's true: Cars stumbled on Pixar-level expectations, but did relatively good on your standard kiddie animated flick fare-level expectations. Though I'll admit I was kinda put off when I heard they were doing a sequel ("Sure it's magic for Toy Story, but...Cars...wasn't that great to begin with...."). It's good to hear it's still nice & clever stuff...tho yeah it's disappointing because of the lack of emotion depth and the not-so-subtle cash grab nature of it all. *sigh* Could've been a lot worse tho....trust me I've seen that.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
Wow, Green Lantern was that bad, huh?
Oh Bob, Redneck NASCAR lovers are not Alpha Beta Jocks that hate nerds. Rednecks love nerds. After all, who's going to make all their meth?

That being said, I doubt I was ever going to consider seeing Cars 2 so I guess I just chimed in to waste your time!

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
It amazes me how badly Bob missed the obvious about the original "Cars" (which wouldn't be at all relevant to a review on the sequel, except that Bob went out of his way to backhandedly build up the original in order to compare the sequel to it as being a lesser creation).

The original wasn't a NASCAR love letter. It was a ROUTE 66 love letter.

The whole movie was commentary about how small towns that were built to serve motorists have since fallen on hard times thanks to the obscurity they've been relegated to with the development of the more modern, more streamlined Interstate superhighways. Racing only comes into it because of the demand of the story: you need to introduce the main narrative, and Pixar decided to go with the tried-and-true "superstar out of their element" routine.

And in a world of cars, who are the superstars? The racers.

Nor do we stick with only NASCAR; European formula racing and old-school dirt-tracking are prominently referenced as well. But if Bob didn't pretend otherwise, his decade-old redneck jokes and pseudo-political kvetching would be more obvious as a pointless sidetrack away from the actual review.

It might also have something to do with Bob's apparent ignorance about the origin of "Cars": a Disney short from the '50s called "Susie the Little Blue Coupe". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYOiVSsr1KM

"Susie" was a story about the life of a car...from brand-new, to going through a variety of owners, to being junked, to being rebuilt as a hot-rod. The animation and character style is a dead giveaway as the basis for Pixar's "Cars", although the recent movies have eliminated the human owners.

Again, this was nothing more or less than a love letter from Disney to the concept of American car ownership...except the only reference to racing in it at all is the aforementioned hot-rod refurbishing. No NASCAR mentions at all (then again, the organization had only existed for about three years at the time "Susie" came out).

But for Bob, the mere involvement of American auto racing in "Cars" is enough cause to trot out politics and social complaints that have absolutely nothing to do with the film itself. And this continues to color his commentary throughout his actual review of "Cars 2". He comes across as forcing himself to backhand every compliment he gives, as though out of fear that if he doesn't establish himself from the beginning as loathing certain aspects of American life, he might open himself to attack from people whose opinion he actually cares about as being a "redneck" himself.

Myself, I was planning to give this film a pass, on basis of the trailer. It struck me as being a force-fed concept: Mater mistaken for an international spy and getting caught up in a huge international conspiracy? "The Tow Truck With One Red Tire", anyone?

But Bob's clear-cut struggle to dislike the film by inserting irrelevant and distracting snark strikes me as suggesting there's actually a stronger underlying story to this. I do believe I'm going to catch a matinee come Monday.

Tanfastic

Aug 5, 2009
Mister Linton said:
Tanfastic said:
I loved cars, 3rd best in my book. How to Train your Dragon and Toy Story 3 still beat it though... Wasn't as big a fan of WallE... I don't get the hype for it :/
How to Train Your Dragon is Dreamworks, but I agree that it is better than Cars.

For fun, my pixar list goes:
1. Incredibles
2. Toy Story 3
3. Toy Story 2
4. Finding Nemo
5. Ratatuille
6. Cars
7. Toy Story
8. Up
9. Wall-E
10. A Bugs Life
11. Monsters Inc.
Really? I could've sworn it was Pixar... Well now my favorite is Toy Story 3.

Mine would be:
1. Toy Story 3
2. Cars
3. Up
4. Monsters Inc.
5. Toy Story 2
6. Finding Nemo
7. Incredibles
8. Ratatouille
9. A Bugs Life
10. Toy Story
11. Wall-E

But I still find all but Wall-E making it into what I call my "favorites" of any movie

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
I remember If Looks Could Kill. A film famous for having the Mission Impossible movie rip off its explosive gum gadget.

And Pixar should really get Brad Bird back on board, he's responsible for the best movies in their stable.
You do know Brad Bird is working on a new Mission Impossible movie, right? Right? I mean, the irony is delicious here!

http://thefilmstage.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/mission_impossible_ghost_protocol_press_conference_01-600x291.jpg