Escape to the Movies: Chronicle

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
TheDrunkNinja said:
Bob. You're 30. You were bullied when you were a kid.

Get over it. The rest of us "victims" already have. It's time you join us.
Speak for yourself. That shit has never left me, and probably never will.

To quote Captain Kirk,
"You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with a wave of a magic wand. They're the things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. If we lose them, we lose ourselves. I don't want my pain taken away! I need my pain!"

OT: Sweet. I was really hoping this movie would be good.
I know what I'm doing for my birthday on Sunday!

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
It seems the video link is going to a 404 error. Glad I caught it beforehand.

You just had to bring up Candy Land, I was in such a good place forgetting about that travesty.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Qitz said:
It seems the video link is going to a 404 error. Glad I caught it beforehand.

You just had to bring up Candy Land, I was in such a good place forgetting about that travesty.
There was an odd caching issue, should be fixed now. :)

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
Thank heaven. I was hoping you would review this one. The trailers had me wondering about whether it was going to be terrible or awesome, and you have yet to steer me wrong. I'll be there this weekend :)

May 17, 2010
MANIFESTER said:
TheDrunkNinja said:
Bob. You're 30. You were bullied when you were a kid.

Get over it. The rest of us "victims" already have. It's time you join us.
Of course you can also say that emotional scars like that never really go away. Perhaps it did for you. If that is what happened then good for you. Personally, my scars didn't go away so easily. Bottom line is though, you cannot judge someone's own pain because you may have had similar. We are all different.
Just to pop in here, there is a difference here between being hurt and suffering scars and actively seeking to continue perpetuating this victim mentality where you are a poor guy and everything you see always comes down to a victim-bully paradigm.

I agree with Bob that I hate the found footage gimmick. However I might give this movie a whirl.

tha saidd I must of been a weird nerdy kid in that though I do have the superpowered fantasy more and more they began to take the form of leading normal people to stop a superpowered aggressor, to work together with others and overcome a monster.

Azriel Nightshade

Jun 9, 2008
MowDownJoe said:
...and which one will die to raise the stakes.
It's the black guy [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlackDudeDiesFirst], right?
I had the exact same though. That trope is one of my biggest pet peeves. I'll still make time for this movie though.

brinvixen

Mar 3, 2011
I cannot wait to see this movie. I haven't wanted to see a movie this bad since Warrior came out, back in SEPTEMBER. Trailers look cool. The honesty is worthy of praise (the fact that when teenagers get super powers, they don't automatically decide to save the world, but instead decide to dick around with them). And now, all movie reviewers that I respect are throwing roses at its feet. It's like icing on the cake!

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
1. I really want to see this movie now.
2. I'm still pissed at the Patriots for beating my Carolina Panthers in the Super Bowl years back, ergo screw those guys and in particular Tom Brady, let's go Giants.
3. Adam Sandler, you might want to lay off the drugs, man. Because really, a Candy Land movie?

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
MrDeckard said:
Scars Unseen said:
GamemasterAnthony said:
A Candy Land movie...

...starring Adam Sandler...

*pauses*

So where's the third godawful element of this? These things come in three, ya know. Lemme guess...bad director like Uwe Boll?
Nah, Michael Bay is picking it up. It's going to be Candyland with explosions, tanks, and Adam Sandler yelling a lot.
.....That could be completely awesome.
[image/]http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd509/QuickDEMOL1SHER/candy-landboomcopy.jpg[/IMG]
This kind of makes me want to see it.

Though I've heard they've got Robert Smigel (Triumph the Insult Dog and The Ambiguously Gay Duo) to work on the script.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
GamemasterAnthony said:
A Candy Land movie...

*pauses*

So where's the third godawful element of this? These things come in three, ya know. Lemme guess...bad director like Uwe Boll?
Nah, Michael Bay is picking it up. It's going to be Candyland with explosions, tanks, and Adam Sandler yelling a lot.
Knowing my karma...that might actually be close to the truth, although not as awesome as MrDeckard depicts.

CAPTCHA: andotify Chamber

NURSE! Get that man to the Andotify Chamber...STAT!!!

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Not-so-subtly calling Kojima "God"
Potentially spoiling a character death
Rooting for the Pats

Yep, I officially hate this video. But I'll still see Chronicle.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
MANIFESTER said:
Look, when I was a kid, I was bullied so bad I had to be home schooled for the rest of my schooling years. I was ten. But I don't let it rule my life making up petty revenge fantasies and constantly talking about it like Bob does. I'm 21, and I've moved past it. Maybe you guys haven't. I don't know how old you all are, but when you're 30 years old, are you seriously going to still have it hanging over you like Bob does? I mean, really?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, maybe if we're lucky it will turn out to be based on Carlton Mellick III's "Cannibals Of Candyland"! :)

That said, this one might (Chronicle) be worth checking out.

Honestly, I also tend to think we need something similar to "Watchmen" when it comes to these avenging nerds, where the guy your cheering for, actually wins, without it entirely being presented as a bad thing. I tend to think that movies like "Law Abiding Citizen" were kind of ruined by the need for the guy your going to be cheering for to wind up losing, and that guy losing requiring some horrible writing during the end.

I'll also be honest in saying that I think it's time to grow up about Columbine and start looking at the actual issues. I've looked at that from a lot of perspectives, and the big question I always arrive at is "what else were they supposed to do?". The general answer from society is "shut up and take it" reinforced by few school reforms to do anything but restrain violent expression to drive people even more nuts. Maybe Columbine isn't the perfect example, but it's on a list of things I look at when it comes to the simple point that working within the system doesn't always work, and any way you slice it nothing short of this attempt at armed revolution would have gotten any attention at all. It was not however a movement, but an individual act, and as such a lack of pesistance has allowed a lot of what it was actually about to be glossed over and propagandized, with things going in exactly the opposite direction that they should.

While long (which people complain about) I'll also add that I've been reading a few conspiricies about the popularity of the found footage genere, and why it's getting greenlit recently despite it's history going back to the 80s... plausible deniability based on people wanting to "try and make their own movie similar to these" if real found footage was to ever surface which would be an issue in any cover up in a world where people have such huge access to recording technology. I'm not exactly a believer, but I have to admit a few things I've read have been very thought provoking, especially when you consider what garbage most of these movies are.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Scars Unseen said:
GamemasterAnthony said:
A Candy Land movie...

*pauses*

Explosions, OF FLAVOR!!!!

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Unsure if I want to cry "spoiler!" on this one. You basically gave away what happens at the end and that one of the three main characters die. That's pretty significant stuff. Granted, I don't know how much they show in the trailers, and it's stuff that you may figure out while watching it anyway (even though some of us are more blissfully unaware of the tropes of the genre than others), but still. Can't help but feel I would probably have been more excited for it if you had left those parts out of the review. Then again, I'm known to be kind of sensitive about spoilers so maybe it's just me...

lesterley

Jul 25, 2008
Dude. Dude. Dude.

I am so sick of every action/thriller/sci-fi/superhero movie being a giant bro-fest! Why couldn't at least ONE of the characters in this movie be a woman? Or how about 2 women and one guy? That would have been an interesting dynamic.

But no... 99% of today's movies are made by and for men. Any female character is simply a sex object for the male gaze.

And don't start giving me examples of female superheroes in movies, unless you can give me one who DOESN'T dress like a stripper (or worse), and who has her own life that is not dependent upon a male character.

Ugh.

May 17, 2010
lesterley said:
Dude. Dude. Dude.

I am so sick of every action/thriller/sci-fi/superhero movie being a giant bro-fest! Why couldn't at least ONE of the characters in this movie be a woman? Or how about 2 women and one guy? That would have been an interesting dynamic.

But no... 99% of today's movies are made by and for men. Any female character is simply a sex object for the male gaze.

And don't start giving me examples of female superheroes in movies, unless you can give me one who DOESN'T dress like a stripper (or worse), and who has her own life that is not dependent upon a male character.

Ugh.
Because those socially isoalted groups usually are composed of men? Or the writer was man and would feel more comfortable writing people of hios own gender as he understands those group dynamics better?

I think your point at large is fine but having a movie made with an focus ona group of three male friends is fine and probaly made it the better movie.