Escape to the Movies: Cloud Atlas

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Cloud Atlas

MovieBob takes us through the spectacle that is Cloud Atlas.

Watch Video

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Bob. Good job.

<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.392190-Marter-to-the-Movies-Cloud-Atlas>I completely agree.

I really hope that you can convince more people to see this. Because ... I dunno how well it's going to do. But it deserves to do incredibly well.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Oh wow. This movie sounds right up my ally. Unfortunately it's gonna be another 3 weeks until it comes out here in germany. Can't wait for it!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Oh good, another "YOU GOTTA SEE THIS BEFORE WATCHING MY REVIEW, IT'S TOTALLY WORTH IT" moment.

<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5041-Hugo>Last time you did that the "twist" turned out to be so not worth it. Interesting, but really not worth seeing it weeks later only to find (loli'mnotspoilingthisumad) it was about a guy who made old movies. BFD.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
UK
Ok, now you made me want to see this film now! I probably end up buying the dvd straight away when it's release! (Chances are I won't be seeing it in cinema anytime soon.)

itezel2

Mar 17, 2011
Omg omg omg i waited for this film to come yet completely forgrt about it for some time now, i am gonna see this TODAY! Thank you moviebob for that awesome review!!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
It's... it's actually good?

I absolutely adored the book, but I was near certain that they would screw up the movie something fierce. Then I heard that it was reviewing badly. I thought Bob was going to disappointedly tear it a new one.

Nice to hear that there's some hope for it after all.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
I wanted to see this, but was on the fence because of the Wachowski brothers. Seems like its worth it though.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
All mighty god of actors and cinema: Please let this movie sweep the Oscars instead of some WWII Ocsar-bait bullshit.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I'm torn. This movie will likely be on base in a few weeks, but this looks good enough that I may wait another month or two so I can see it in a much better theater out in town (in Japan).

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
I don't know what rock I've been living under but this is my first time hearing about this movie. That said, sounds like something I might have to go check out.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
So how exactly does Warner intend to put out a JL movie to compete with the Avengers, when they have not put in the effort to construct a franchise to compete with the films surrounding the individual members?

Marvel generated interest for the ensemble film by establishing the various characters for the viewing audience (particularly Iron Man and Thor, who were not nearly as popular as Captain America or The Hulk). Plus it gave audiences a base understanding of their powers so they wouldn't have to waste time explaining it in the group movie.

Warner apparently intends to trot out Superman, try and reboot Batman on the heels of an incredible trilogy for which I do not expect them to find a comparable actor OR director, and then expect people to care about Aquaman, The Flash, Green Lantern et al without first telling people why they should bother (not to mention simultaneously encouraging them to forget the Martin Campbell debacle for GL ever happened).

And also, they'll have to write a screenplay to compete with Joss Whedon, God of the Nerds. [http://youtu.be/QDajL441mZc?t=8s]

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Zhukov said:
It's... it's actually good?

I absolutely adored the book, but I was near certain that they would screw up the movie something fierce. Then I heard that it was reviewing badly. I thought Bob was going to regretfully tear it a new one.

Nice to hear that there's some hope for it after all.
Every critic I know of who's is worth a damn is giving this movie extremely high praise.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
castlewise said:
I wanted to see this, but was on the fence because of the Wachowski brothers. Seems like its worth it though.
And why would someone be on the fence about them? Please don't tell me its because of the Matrix movies...

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
Thanks for the head's up on going to see it before the review. I have read the book and am hoping and by your initial remarks did a very good job at keeping the storyline intact.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
From your description this sounds like the kind of "artistic" movie that I hate. Like last years tree of Life.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Convinced and more than likely going to take my Monday to go and see it since this weekend won't be very friendly to me.

Slightly off topic but I'd really like to hear Bob's take on Warner Bros' plan to make Justice League the opposite of Avengers (ie: one huge team movie which turns into individual hero movies set as one continuity)

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
The one thing I find to be quite interesting (From all the reviews I've read so far), is that no one has called it "A Great movie", just "Ambitious". Moviebob called it "Ambitious", Roger Ebert called it "Ambitious".

I'm truly happy to see its not getting "Best Movie of the Year" buzz, but just "Most Ambitious movie" awards, and in that reasoning alone do I want to see the movie.

It's hyperbole that's a tad easier to swallow than "Worst Movie" or "Best Movie".

A great review, Bob, I really hope to see this movie soon.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Well when it's out in the UK 5 months from now I'll be sure to go see it.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I am so bummed out by the fact that this movies doesn't seem to have a release date yet in my country. However, I guess it'll get one so that it can come out around January. Where I'm from, the big Oscar movies that didn't come out the year before are put in theaters before the Awards Ceremony. Then again, this is going to be one of those super-polarizing movies so I don't know how likely my theory is.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I can honestly say I had never even heard of this movie until I came to watch today's episode...

But now I want nothing more right now than to SEE. THIS. MOVIE.

And Justice League the same year as The Avengers 2? That IS gonna be interesting.

Does this mean we can expect a nice array of DC movies next year to build up to Justice League in the same way Marvel has done it or are they just gonna do Justice League first and then maybe the interesting characters will get spin-off movies from that.

Did they ever settle on a director for Justice League? PLEASE tell me it's not Brett Ratner.

Kuth

Jan 14, 2009
I saw a preview of this a while back. I thought it was a pirate movie.. then a dual story of present and past.. then it goes to the future and I go 'WTF?' The preview itself was a mind blow, and I thought it would either suck or go Cirque de sole on my ass.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Okay then, next week I'm seeing Operation Skyfall, hopefully Cloud Atlas will not be in theaters yet in Brazil, thus allowing me a week's breath to go back to the theater to see Cloud Atlas, because it looks simply mind bending fucktardic awesome. I don't go to the movies often, I find theaters can hardly justify the price and the quality here (in Brazil) isn't always the best, so I'm pretty picky about what I want to see in a theater and what I'll settle to watch on Apple Tv or Blu-Ray, those two titles I wanna see in the bloody theater NOW!

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Strange...the Star Tribune gave this a bad rating, but like you said, some people are going to hate it and I suspect the film reviewer for the Tribune was one of them.

Avengers 2 and Justice League at the same time. Yes...that will be VERY interesting considering what happened with Green Lantern. However, if it turns out to be a Christopher Nolan vs. Joss Whedon situation...this will be VERY VERY interesting!

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Gah, it sucks to be in Europe sometimes. The movie will probably hit the torrents before theatres here.

cyvaris

May 10, 2011
I was lucky enough to see this in Imax last night/this morning at midnight. My mind is still reeling from the sheer epic scope of the movie.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Coreless said:
castlewise said:
And why would someone be on the fence about them? Please don't tell me its because of the Matrix movies...
Huh. What I heard was second hand, so perhaps I'm operating on incomplete information.

I'm just delighted to hear someone say that it isn't terrible, let alone good.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
This sounds interesting which is a good thing.
This sounds confusing which for me is the bestest thing, I love "mindfuck movies"

yunabomb

Nov 29, 2011
The fake asians don't really look asian. They just look like white people pretending to look asian based on what I've seen. The K-pop eyebrows look pretty weird as well, although I don't know if there's a reason the actors have been stylized to look that way.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Cloud Atlas is basically a series of one-acts with a significantly amped up budget and some A-list stars. They're not terrible one-acts but they don't have a lot more to say than your average off-Broadway play either. The special effects are good and the acting is generally not bad, though I'm not totally sure I'm down with the idea that the only reason to perceive any difference at all between people of different races, sexes or sexual orientations is due to oppressive discrimination.

As far as its sixness and the stories in general, I could have done with a little bit more of an overarching narrative as opposed to six largely self-contained stories. I wont spoil it, but I wasn't exactly enthusiastic with the ending of the Victorian story. It just seemed like they ended it that way because that's what's supposed to happen in gay romance stories. And don't get me started on the almost random philosophical platitudes in the chronologically latest short films.

Not sad I saw it, but I doubt I'll want to see it again.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I dunno.... I agree with you on a lot of things Bob but when your review is almost the polar opposite of the general consensus, that's when I seem to disagree. This is one of those reviews.

The most common criticisms of the film seem to be that each of it's eight stories come off more as trailers for real movies and that the film's "deep message" gets jammed down the audience's throat and comes off as pretentious.

I think I'll wait until some of my friends see it. They have very similar tastes in movies as me and if they tell me that it is good, then I'll go see it.

CaptDom

Jul 15, 2009
Don Reba said:
Gah, it sucks to be in Europe sometimes. The movie will probably hit the torrents before theatres here.
Sigh, wait till March or February? Fuck no.

They can keep their fucking film, I don't care what the excuse is, do we really have to still put up with this shit in 2012?

Maybe I can use the time to read the book first, if only. Hah. Bollocks! I'm boycotting the whole franchise. All by myself if I gotta.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Yes, but what is the movie about? Or is this one of those cases where "It's about two hours" really is the only correct answer to that question?

CaptDom said:
Don Reba said:

They can keep their fucking film, I don't care what the excuse is, do we really have to still put up with this shit in 2012?

Maybe I can use the time to read the book first, if only. Hah. Bollocks! I'm boycotting the whole franchise. All by myself if I gotta.
Really? You're pissed that you don't get to see the movie soon enough, so you're refusing to see it at all, ever? That has to be the pettiest thing I've ever seen, and this is the Internet.

Plus, news flash: boycotts of movies/games/shows don't work, and on the rare occasion it makes an impact on box office/sales/ratings, the distributor/publisher/network just interprets it as "people didn't like this movie/game/show so we should stop making movies/games/shows like it". Jim Sterling explains it better than I can. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6187-Why-Boycotts-Fail-Where-Whining-Tantrums-Win]

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
I'm reminded of the joke Zero Punctuation review of Duke Nukem - but apparently this is a real thing.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
Props for Final Fantasy (1) reference!

I think that's one of the most unabashedly supportive reviews I've ever seen for a film.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Had not so much as heard of this movie until 5 minutes ago. It's now absolutely on my radar.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
So, essentially, they took GEODESSEY by Piers Anthony and adapted it. Yeah, I know it is based off the book Cloud Atlas, but it was the Geodessey series that first took that concept, that I am aware of.

It takes the same bunch of characters throughout time changing societies, races, and other circumstances along the way. It is a way to explore history through an era-spanning novel.

Although I kept thinking of Geodyssey all through the review, I am very intrigued by the movie and I have always respected Bob's opinion. I will watch it and try to keep Geodyssey from invading my thoughts. It is just not fair to compare :)

Apples_McGrind

Oct 27, 2009
Wakikifudge said:
I dunno.... I agree with you on a lot of things Bob but when your review is almost the polar opposite of the general consensus, that's when I seem to disagree. This is one of those reviews.

The most common criticisms of the film seem to be that each of it's eight stories come off more as trailers for real movies and that the film's "deep message" gets jammed down the audience's throat and comes off as pretentious.

I think I'll wait until some of my friends see it. They have very similar tastes in movies as me and if they tell me that it is good, then I'll go see it.
If you've read enough reviews, you would know that the film doesn't really have a general consensus. The reviews have been all over the map with critics slamming, praising it and even admitting confusion over the film. Bob's is just one in the love it category. Fact is, everyone is going to have a viscerally different reaction to this film, and trying to judge and see if your friends like it or not is going to be inherently pointless, since you'll all have different opinions on the film.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Marter said:
Bob. Good job.

<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.392190-Marter-to-the-Movies-Cloud-Atlas>I completely agree.

I really hope that you can convince more people to see this. Because ... I dunno how well it's going to do. But it deserves to do incredibly well.
I want to go see it but theatres in California are a fucking nightmare :/.

It's like paying 20 bucks to have people shit all over you anonymously. The second those lights go out nobody will shut the fuck up or stop using their phone.

I sound all boyish and extroverted explaining it but I really wish I didn't need to have a warrior spirit in real life just to sit and actually see a film :/.

I miss Washington...

I'll just get it on blu-ray when it releases :(.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
So, um.... I thought this was the second part of the Altas Shrugged movie or something, but you know, now I'm actually curious about seeing it. My mom wanted to see it, too, so maybe I'll go see it with her.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
theultimateend said:
I want to go see it but theatres in California are a fucking nightmare :/.

It's like paying 20 bucks to have people shit all over you anonymously. The second those lights go out nobody will shut the fuck up or stop using their phone.

I sound all boyish and extroverted explaining it but I really wish I didn't need to have a warrior spirit in real life just to sit and actually see a film :/.

I miss Washington...

I'll just get it on blu-ray when it releases :(.
That's a shame. But maybe with a film like this it would be different? The people doing that would go see something else instead, perhaps, instead of the 3-hour epic?

I dunno. But it's great and you need to see it. :)

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Apr 9, 2020
New Jersey
Country
United States
DVS BSTrD said:
Is the "devil" called Wilson by any chance?
Castaway 2: Wilson's Revenge
"When 'I'm sorry' just isn't enough".

OT

Well this looks... interesting. I probably won't be able to see this while it's in theaters, but I'll definitely give it a look when the Blu-Ray comes out.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
CaptDom said:
Don Reba said:

The lone boycotter is the most useless force in the world.

OT: It's sealed, I gotta see this.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
When a movie critic tells me to see the movie first to avoid spoilers I almost never listen but this time I did and I am glad I did. Holy crap this is probably the most dense movie I have ever seen. By that I mean chalked full of...of...everything. Most bizarre and interesting movie I have seen since Big Fish and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. At almost 3 hours it deserves a medal just for being interesting for that long.

Of course I could recommend it just to hear Keith Davids seductive voice but all the actors are phenomenal especially Tom Hanks. Go see it because Bob is right on the money here.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
If I had the money, I would go see it.

DVS BSTrD said:
Is the "devil" called Wilson by any chance?
It's hard for me to believe that it has been 12 years since Castaway. It was one of my favorite movies back then.

I'll admit it. I cried when:

Wilson floated away during the escape from the island.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Apples_McGrind said:
Wakikifudge said:

If you've read enough reviews, you would know that the film doesn't really have a general consensus. The reviews have been all over the map with critics slamming, praising it and even admitting confusion over the film. Bob's is just one in the love it category. Fact is, everyone is going to have a viscerally different reaction to this film, and trying to judge and see if your friends like it or not is going to be inherently pointless, since you'll all have different opinions on the film.
True that they are all over the map (scores are ranging from 10-100%) but the majority of 40-70 area. That may not necessarily be a bad thing but if reviews are really this all over the map, there are probably some major flaws in it.

How could you possibly say that I'll have a different reaction to the movie than my friends? You don't know them... and I do. There are almost no movies/games/opinions that we disagree on. We all liked Lost up until the very end (and then we hated it). We all loved Mass Effect 3 up until the very end (and then hated it). We all decided that the majority of the problems we had with Mass Effect 3's ending were fixed with the EC. We all thought Avatar was Mediocre. We all thought that while Cabin in the Woods was great, it didn't actually have a twist that everyone was praising (unless you count that it was given away at the very beginning). We all liked Inception a lot but couldn't understand why it was nominated for Best Picture because it does have a fairly massive plot hole. We all love Breaking Bad. We all love Game of Thrones. We are all Atheists. We all think that Handsome Jack is one of the greatest villains of this console generation. We all hate the majority of current pop music. We all liked TDKR more than the Avengers. This list could keep going for a long time but I'll stop now.

That's a lot of things to agree about. Some of those things are very controversial and have reviews that are all over the map as well. Hmmm, it's almost like we're friends because we have common interests or something. Weird right? Oh wait, no it's not.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Wakikifudge said:
We all think that Handsome Jack is one of the greatest villains of this console generation.
Definitely not.

Although he's right up there alongside tiny drop rates and wormhole threshers as the most infuriatingly annoying 'features' that have been introduced into the Borderlands franchise by the second game.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Got bumped up to this month here in Aus, hooray we get a movie within a decent time to its US debut for once. Wreck it Ralph still not out till December here though, bah.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Paradoxrifts said:
Wakikifudge said:
We all think that Handsome Jack is one of the greatest villains of this console generation.
Definitely not.

Although he's right up there alongside tiny drop rates and wormhole threshers as the most infuriatingly annoying 'features' that have been introduced into the Borderlands franchise by the second game.
That's great and all but I was stating my OPINION. I was simply listing things that my friends and I agree about. Not really looking for a debate. You may not like Borderlands 2 but I do and that's fine. This just reinforces the point I was trying to make. Obviously people are going to disagree with some/all of the things I listed. My friends however do not and so if one of them goes and sees Cloud Atlas and likes it, there's a pretty good chance I'll like it too. At the moment though, I'm not interested in it.

weatherfn

Oct 22, 2008
I had not even heard of the movie before I got to the theater, and only saw it because the movie we were going to see started earlier than we had thought. Now, I am SO very happy that we saw this movie instead. It's very dense and crazy to follow with all the jumping around, but the whole ride is very satisfying.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Wow, now that was an extremely dense and focused review. No pussy-footing around at all.
You know, I think this is the first time that one of your reviews has actually made me want to see something.
I wonder if I actually will.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
I saw it tonight and I enjoyed it a lot. At times it can be mildly hard to follow all 6 stories at the same time, and the first quarter or so of the movie is VERY slow, but I found myself taking a lot more interested once the "future" elements got rolling...being a major scifi lover.

Overall, a good movie, and something I'd like to see a 2nd time at least.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
So it doesn't suck? I'm honestly surprised because the trailer really made it look like a pretentious bloated mess that tried to fit half a dozen movies into one and be the "ultimate film".

I guess I might go see it then.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Wakikifudge said:
Paradoxrifts said:
Wakikifudge said:
Definitely not.

That's great and all but I was stating my OPINION. I was simply listing things that my friends and I agree about. Not really looking for a debate. You may not like Borderlands 2 but I do and that's fine. This just reinforces the point I was trying to make. Obviously people are going to disagree with some/all of the things I listed. My friends however do not and so if one of them goes and sees Cloud Atlas and likes it, there's a pretty good chance I'll like it too. At the moment though, I'm not interested in it.
Quite the contrary.

I quite like BL2 and that is in spite of the game's flaws. But to get back to the subject of Handsome Jack, I feel you must have mistaken 'greatest villain' with ' character so annoying that killing them becomes a cathartic experience'. It's as if Gearbox had the Occupy movement design a Saturday morning cartoon version of Satan for them.

Handsome Jack never came across as threatening or unsettling to me which is the hallmark of a decent villain, I just only ever wanted the stupid to stop.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
CaptDom said:
Don Reba said:

I will probably download it first, as soon as a high-quality version becomes available, then go see it on the big screen. Did that with Drive and it was quite satisfying.

w3dg3

Jul 27, 2009
So why not get an Asian actor and let him play as a white guy in one part and as himself in the other>

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I just got back from Argo and you're recommending another movie!?

Well Hoyts; you'll be... (Release date in Australia: 21 February 2013) NOT getting my money as I am going to use it to render Law Abiding Citizen style justice to the moronic [REDACTED] [REDACTED]head(s) that is/are keeping cinema release dates from being synchronized so that EVERY country gets the movie ON THE SAME DAY!

This is why movie piracy is so high. If everyone was able to see the movie on the same day then piracy will be reduced significantly as there would be legal options for people to see films that are already released in another country

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
So I get all pumped and ready to watch the movie now!

Go to see when it's released in Australia (according to IMDb)....21st February 2013!

WWWWWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF??????????????????

It's the same fucking movie! There's no translation involved because we speak fucking English! Why the hell do we have to wait 4 fucking months for it to be released in cinemas over here?

Fuck.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Wait... How am I just now hearing about this? By what is shown in the video it looks pretty cool. Guess I'll have to go check it out.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I remember disliking the book. I just couldn't understand why it brazenly (and openly) borrowed stock premises and cliched settings, and then expected that not to be a problem.

This film does look pretty interesting though. Maybe the aesthetics will be enough to hide the obvious similarities to other stories, and maybe the immediacy of film will make much more of the multi-story aspect (which seemed to do bugger all for the book). We'll see. EDIT: In February.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
OlasDAlmighty said:
So it doesn't suck? I'm honestly surprised because the trailer really made it look like a pretentious bloated mess that tried to fit half a dozen movies into one and be the "ultimate film".

I can't help noticing your avatar...Have you seen it? Woz it gud?

sibrenfetter

Oct 26, 2009
yunabomb said:
The fake asians don't really look asian. They just look like white people pretending to look asian based on what I've seen. The K-pop eyebrows look pretty weird as well, although I don't know if there's a reason the actors have been stylized to look that way.
well in the book it is explained that most people you'd see on the streets are actually androids. There are many more androids for convenience sake and they are produced. Other than that, the book depicts a very sterile, made-up future world where it is easy to see how plastic surgery would be a very common thing. I think those are also reasons for the design choices in the film

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
shogunblade said:
The one thing I find to be quite interesting (From all the reviews I've read so far), is that no one has called it "A Great movie", just "Ambitious". Moviebob called it "Ambitious", Roger Ebert called it "Ambitious".

I'm truly happy to see its not getting "Best Movie of the Year" buzz, but just "Most Ambitious movie" awards, and in that reasoning alone do I want to see the movie.

It's hyperbole that's a tad easier to swallow than "Worst Movie" or "Best Movie".

A great review, Bob, I really hope to see this movie soon.
I personally have always despised the way awards ceremonies have 'Best Picture' awards. Not because they always get it wrong (although they totally do), but just because cinema is capable of such wildly disparate feats of imagination, I don't think it's possible to single out just one movie from one genre as the best.

I personally think they'd be a lot better for having several smaller awards for each major genre, without a big 'Best Picture award at the end of it. Admittedly, some already have categories such as 'Best Documentary' and 'Best Animated Feature'. However, if they can do that, why not also 'Best Thriller' and 'Best Comedy'? A film that could be said to belong to more than one genre could still be nominated for more than one category, and it would allow more movies, from a wider range of cinematic tastes, to have a chance at acclaim, bringing them to the attention of cinema-goers and ultimately expanding the scope of the film industry even further.

The only downside that I can see is that it would make awards shows even longer than they already are (which I suppose even then could be offset by cutting out some of the bullshit filler that they all have).

sibrenfetter

Oct 26, 2009
Aureliano said:
As far as its sixness and the stories in general, I could have done with a little bit more of an overarching narrative as opposed to six largely self-contained stories. I wont spoil it, but I wasn't exactly enthusiastic with the ending of the Victorian story. It just seemed like they ended it that way because that's what's supposed to happen in gay romance stories. And don't get me started on the almost random philosophical platitudes in the chronologically latest short films.
To make things clear, this movie is a near direct depiction of the book Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. While of course some things have been changed, most of it is like in the book. I would suggest you read the book and see if you still dislike the gay romance story as the language in it is quite amazing and gripping. In the book there is also no overarching narrative. Even more each story is told in a chronological order but only half way. After the apocalypse story all the stories are finished counting down to the first. It is an amazing read.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
This is much more how I would think of this movie
http://thecinemasnob.com/2012/10/27/cloud-atlas-review.aspx

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
OlasDAlmighty said:

You're assessment of the movie based on the trailer is 100% accurate, but this is Movie Bob, film snob. It's pretentious, psuedo-indie, nonsensical Oscar bait with a huge budget.. of course Bob is gushing for it. He loves this art-house-film-with-hundreds-of-millions-behind-it stuff because if he didn't, he'd lose his hipster cred.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
MovieBob said:
Cloud Atlas

MovieBob takes us through the spectacle that is Cloud Atlas.

Watch Video
personally it looks like oscar bait that got too big a budget. it may have some good ideas and visuals and acting but im going to hold my judgement on if its 'good' or not until ive had some time to think of it and wonder if im being tricked into likeing something thats only mediocre.

Hell anyone remember Avatar? supposedly 'the bestest movies evar!!!11' and its really a hunk of manipulative pile of whale shit?
Not saying cloud atlas is bad, but im very skeptical about something that gets so much hype for being a standalone movie.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Paradoxrifts said:
Wakikifudge said:
Paradoxrifts said:
Wakikifudge said:
Definitely not.

Quite the contrary.

I quite like BL2 and that is in spite of the game's flaws. But to get back to the subject of Handsome Jack, I feel you must have mistaken 'greatest villain' with ' character so annoying that killing them becomes a cathartic experience'. It's as if Gearbox had the Occupy movement design a Saturday morning cartoon version of Satan for them.

Handsome Jack never came across as threatening or unsettling to me which is the hallmark of a decent villain, I just only ever wanted the stupid to stop.
Ugh... I didn't want to get into this because it's completely off-topic for the thread but alright here you go:

I actually LIKED Handsome Jack for a large portion of the game. I just loved how he was always checking up on you. Ya some of his jabs were a bit stupid but for the most part I thought he was quite funny throughout. He grew on me because I didn't find him threatening. He was just someone far away who was taunting me. Then he does this:
he blows up Bloodwing's Head. I don't know if you played the first game as Mordecai or not but I did and I actually grew quite attached to that bird. She had helped me out of countless situations and was my primary way of dealing with Sirens in PvP. I really thought that she was going to somehow make it out alive. Seeing her head explode really was a slap in the face for me.
After this, I still actually LIKED him but I really wanted him dead too. Then this happens:
You find out that Angel is actually his daughter and that he's been exploiting her abilities as a Siren for his own personal agenda. When I saw this, I truly believed that there was no humanity in him and that he NEEDED to die. Then he goes from sharply telling you stop to full out begging you to not kill his daughter. Despite everything he did, he really cared deeply about her still. I actually felt sorry for him in a way. Then he killed Roland and that really was the final straw.
Even after all of this, at the ending there was a part of me that still liked the guy and pitied him. So for me, Handsome Jack is why Borderlands 2 has a really great story (my opinion, you may not have liked the story). He is the only villain I can think of who at one point can make me feel like I'm just joking with friends over a beer, and then at another point become a completely ruthless bastard.

You may disagree with everything I just said and again, that's perfectly fine because we are all entitled to our own opinions. And this still does reinforce my point. Just replace Borderlands 2 with Handsome Jack in my previous statement and it works.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Wakikifudge said:
You may disagree with everything I just said and again, that's perfectly fine because we are all entitled to our own opinions. And this still does reinforce my point. Just replace Borderlands 2 with Handsome Jack in my previous statement and it works.
The game's story suffers dreadfully from tonal dissonance.

Simply put it was hard for me to be moved by moments of tragedy in a game that involved searching outhouses for loot and ammo. Now I know it's more than a little unfair to compare a movie with a game, but if you want to see good example of a villain on a path of self-destruction then you should check out Scarface.

That's how you get it done.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Paradoxrifts said:
Wakikifudge said:
The game's story suffers dreadfully from tonal dissonance.

Simply put it was hard for me to be moved by moments of tragedy in a game that involved searching outhouses for loot and ammo. Now I know it's more than a little unfair to compare a movie with a game, but if you want to see good example of a villain on a path of self-destruction then you should check out Scarface.

That's how you get it done.
Ah, I see what you're saying. Because the game places such an emphasis on comedy, when really serious and dark things do happen, you found them out of place and more distracting than anything? That makes sense. I actually found it to be the opposite though. For me personally, because there is such an emphasis on comedy and looting that when these moments of dark tragedy do happen, they are more shocking and moving than similar scenes in other movies.

I think I get where you're coming from though (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) and your opinion does make a lot of sense.

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
I want to watch the review, but if Moviebob says it's better to see it right away I'll trust him.

...It'll premiere in Sweden in over one hundred days.

Blargh! The torture!

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Wakikifudge said:
It's a little more than that.

By the end of the game it felt more like I was preforming a mercy killing of a two-dimensional cardboard cutout instead of triumphing over a properly realised and fleshed-out villain. It didn't ruin the rest of the game for me, but it's certainly enough for me to object to him being the 'greatest villain' of an entire console generation.

If anything, all that proves is a severe drought of competition.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
MB202 said:
So, um.... I thought this was the second part of the Altas Shrugged movie or something, but you know, now I'm actually curious about seeing it. My mom wanted to see it, too, so maybe I'll go see it with her.
That actually came out a few days ago. So far, the reviews for it haven't looked too good.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Dangit2019 said:
MB202 said:
That actually came out a few days ago. So far, the reviews for it haven't looked too good.
Surprised that movie even got a sequel/continuation.

Technicka

Jul 7, 2010
heyheysg said:
Hey bob, are you going to do an episode on the yellow face?
Don't you know, it's okay in this instance because it's such a deep and artsy movie!
See also: It's the future, so they aren't really Asian. So it's all good.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
The only thing that is putting me off is the reviews ive read in which the reviewer review comes off sounding like they are superior as they can appreciate the movie where as insinuating that people that dont care about the movie or 'dont get it' are stupid. Just so patronising. So many films people go on about being deep and full of meaning and they turn out to be as deep as a paddling pool.

Markunator

Nov 10, 2011
Sylveria said:
OlasDAlmighty said:

You're assessment of the movie based on the trailer is 100% accurate, but this is Movie Bob, film snob. It's pretentious, psuedo-indie, nonsensical Oscar bait with a huge budget.. of course Bob is gushing for it. He loves this art-house-film-with-hundreds-of-millions-behind-it stuff because if he didn't, he'd lose his hipster cred.
How is Bob a film snob? He's an honest film critic, he "gushed" for this movie because he genuinely thought it was great.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
Gotta say, this movie was pretty damn amazing

Its not mindless though, You really gotta think while your watching it and pay the utmost attention, honestly, I liked it better than the Avengers and Dark Knight Rises. (yes, I know those were a completely diffrient genre of movie, but seeing as those were my favorite of the year, its a fitting comparison now that Ive seen this)

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
yunabomb said:
Well no, of course they don't (particularly Hugo Weaving and his ENORMOUS forehead) - and it's somewhat interesting, because pretty much all the actors end up masquerading as another race at least once during the movie (I don't think Tom Hanks does, but other than that), sometimes you can tell who it is, but every now and again one slips by you.

The really interesting bit is where they do the makeup jobs which change more than necessarily race, and those are the ones you don't catch and wow you at the end. Hugh Grant gets a couple of these which I didn't catch at all until they showed it at the end.

To the movie itself - HOLY CRAP, knocked my socks off. The amount of skill it took to take something like this and just make it flow, so well... and ultimately, that's what's going to make a film like this work, that's what makes the difference between most people calling it "pretentious" and people calling it "awesome., and even for those who wouldn't call it pretentious, it really makes all the difference, sucking you in.

For those who've seen the film, did anyone else notice that the flow of the story and the cuts seemed to mimic musical structure - particularly in the latter third? It's a subtle touch, but one that was really awesome, given the themes of the film.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Spoiler alert!

The devil is WHITE RACISM, played by Hugo Weaving. It's kind of heartwarming how earnestly Hollywood liberal this movie is.

I'm guessing "Lana" Wachowski was watching nothing but Dead Poets Society and Roots and Dances with Wolves and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest while 'transitioning.' The movie borrows liberally from them when it doesn't steal outright, and the tone is of the eager convert recounting 'her' pop-culture catechism.

Never in all my life have I seen a movie where I've been rooting as hard for the villains.

If you like this movie because you see yourself in the characters, choose a different career path sooner rather than later. The liberal striver poor lifestyle is for those with lots of Mom and Dad's cash to spend.

On the other hand, it's nice to see that Joe Biden and Michelle Obama have a good life ahead of them.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Damn you Bob, got me all excited so I went to check the Swedish premiere date... March 1! I hate this place sometimes

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Yeah... no. Normally when I disagree with Bob's reviews it's sort of "well, matters of taste, y'know", but having seen it this one is just... wrong. Like, factually incorrect wrong.

This is not to say the movie is _bad_, I actually thought it was reasonably good. But what universe is Bob living in where the loosely connected anthology format and genre mixing is "experimental" and "risk-taking"? Because in this one it's basically a standard Oscar-season format, and I've not seen a year go by without at least two of 'em coming along. On the planet earth, this is a fairly traditional form of storytelling.

And the makeup was _terrible_. The race-washing was done with almost insulting incompetence and even the basic stuff like Hanks' facial scar in the intro looked like it was slapped on with play-dough and painted with interior latex coat.

The writing was at least all right, though. As others have pointed out, not terribly creative or original, and the attempt at applying a moral at the end was _painfully_ trite, but as someone that sat through The Master without complaint I have to admit that at worst it's only the second worst script of Oscar season.

Summary: Go watch Argo again or something instead.

EDIT: Though, all that said, Hugo Weaving as zombie steampunk Jimminy Cricket growling admonitions to kill everyone because life is hopeless may be the single funniest thing I've ever seen on the big screen. I know it was supposed to be a serious indictment of the straw-villains of the piece, but given that said karmic straw-villains were so cartoonishly Captain Planeted that it's quite impossible to take them seriously, it was just beautifully unintentionally comedic.

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
Hey has anyone mentioned yet that this is based on a book?
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, go read it because it's bloody good.

Apples_McGrind

Oct 27, 2009
Wakikifudge said:
Apples_McGrind said:
Wakikifudge said:

True that they are all over the map (scores are ranging from 10-100%) but the majority of 40-70 area. That may not necessarily be a bad thing but if reviews are really this all over the map, there are probably some major flaws in it.

How could you possibly say that I'll have a different reaction to the movie than my friends? You don't know them... and I do. There are almost no movies/games/opinions that we disagree on. We all liked Lost up until the very end (and then we hated it). We all loved Mass Effect 3 up until the very end (and then hated it). We all decided that the majority of the problems we had with Mass Effect 3's ending were fixed with the EC. We all thought Avatar was Mediocre. We all thought that while Cabin in the Woods was great, it didn't actually have a twist that everyone was praising (unless you count that it was given away at the very beginning). We all liked Inception a lot but couldn't understand why it was nominated for Best Picture because it does have a fairly massive plot hole. We all love Breaking Bad. We all love Game of Thrones. We are all Atheists. We all think that Handsome Jack is one of the greatest villains of this console generation. We all hate the majority of current pop music. We all liked TDKR more than the Avengers. This list could keep going for a long time but I'll stop now.

That's a lot of things to agree about. Some of those things are very controversial and have reviews that are all over the map as well. Hmmm, it's almost like we're friends because we have common interests or something. Weird right? Oh wait, no it's not.
Sorry, I don't mean to knock your friends or your tastes by any means, but I'm saying this out of my own experiences. Many of my friends also have similar tastes and enjoyment in films, but Cloud Atlas was a film that definitively divided everyone in my close group of friends. All I'm saying is, there's a possibility, you guys may find yourself divided over the film as well, regardless of your past tastes.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Apples_McGrind said:
Wakikifudge said:
Apples_McGrind said:
Wakikifudge said:

Sorry, I don't mean to knock your friends or your tastes by any means, but I'm saying this out of my own experiences. Many of my friends also have similar tastes and enjoyment in films, but Cloud Atlas was a film that definitively divided everyone in my close group of friends. All I'm saying is, there's a possibility, you guys may find yourself divided over the film as well, regardless of your past tastes.
Ah ok. To me you came off as really smug but I see where you're coming from. No hard feelings.

Well I suppose something this controversial must be worth watching even if it's just for discussion purposes. Maybe I'll see it with some friends on cheap night.

Siberian Relic

Jan 15, 2010
After having spent quite some time away from Bob's material, I hopped back in to hear his thoughts about something I was curious about. Lo, and behold, I'm less than a minute in and already confronted with yet another piece of his ubiquitous and shameless fan service.

Congratulations, Bob. You are to 'The Avengers' what twelve-year-olds are to Call of Duty.

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
I just saw it on Saturday, and fuck me it was awesome. Even ignoring how they're supposed to be related, the way the the six stories are edited together kept me engaged. Within two seconds I went from laughing at Broadbent's antics to tense and on the edge of my seat in future Korea. Also, a pop culture reference in one story doubles as foreshadowing for another at one point, which I thought was a pretty neat trick.

Technicka

Jul 7, 2010
Myrmecodon said:
Spoiler alert!

The devil is WHITE RACISM, played by Hugo Weaving. It's kind of heartwarming how earnestly Hollywood liberal this movie is.

I'm guessing "Lana" Wachowski was watching nothing but Dead Poets Society and Roots and Dances with Wolves and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest while 'transitioning.' The movie borrows liberally from them when it doesn't steal outright, and the tone is of the eager convert recounting 'her' pop-culture catechism.

Never in all my life have I seen a movie where I've been rooting as hard for the villains.

If you like this movie because you see yourself in the characters, choose a different career path sooner rather than later. The liberal striver poor lifestyle is for those with lots of Mom and Dad's cash to spend.

On the other hand, it's nice to see that Joe Biden and Michelle Obama have a good life ahead of them.
You sound bitter. Go grab a drink.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Ickabod said:
And the movie flopped so see it quickly if you're going to.
I wouldn't really call it a flop exactly. Yes, the opening box office numbers were low, but it opened on a much smaller number of screens than is typical of a wide release. The per screen average was actually the highest of the weekend releases by a fair margin.

That said, though, I do agree that it may be best to see the movie soon if you're going to see it at all. Regardless of it's supposed quality, it's been getting extremely mixed reviews and it just doesn't seem like an easy movie to sell. If anything works for it, it's going to be word of mouth.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
I'm really excited for this movie. Shame us brits have to wait until FUCKING FEBRUARY to see it. What the fuck Hollywood, seriously.

LastDarkness

Jul 9, 2010
This movie actualy reminded me very much of a classic japanese animation/manga called " Phoenix "

Very similar story and same theme of taking the characters through time but changing roles and such.

ungothicdove

Nov 30, 2007
I saw it last night. I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it, but I'm glad I went. I'll need a few more viewings to really make up my mind but this film was absolutely ambitious. It's hard to tell six stories in one movie but they did a damn fine job of making it flow. Got the book a while back but haven't read it yet, which may be for the best so I wouldn't be comparing it the the movie.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I agree with everything MovieBob said. And that doesn't happen very often.

Even if you don't think individual threads work, even if you don't think the whole works, the sheer amount of craft and work and thought that went into making this movie are evident in every minute of it, and at nearly three hours length it doesn't drag for a single instant, something I wouldn't even say of the "Lord of the Rings" movies, much as I loved them.

See. This. Movie.

evilneko

Jun 16, 2011
I think Bob just spunked all over the screen. I don't think I've ever heard him gush so much about a movie. So Bob, tell us how you really feel.

WiseBass

Apr 29, 2011
I'm a big fan of the book, and I liked this movie.

The first 45 minutes are a bit rough, with the movie bouncing around the different story lines and not quite wrapping them together. But after that, it's absolutely wonderful how the movie pulls itself together to work.

My least favorite part of it was probably the "Sonmi" story line, but that's probably because "Orison of Sonmi 451" was my favorite part of the book, and it was no doubt difficult to translate from book to film.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Eric the Orange said:
This is much more how I would think of this movie
http://thecinemasnob.com/2012/10/27/cloud-atlas-review.aspx
Wow, that was an incredibly horrible review. Not because I rather enjoyed the movie and disagree with their opinion(mainly because that's why they're opinions and I can admit the movie has flaws), but that was just really hard to watch. They do admit that it's going to be polarizing (and it is), but it turned from a weak review to an incredibly shitty one when they claimed that people only acted as if they enjoyed it, because they want to sound smart.

EDIT: CGI was bad? What the fuck?

Sergey Sund

May 20, 2012
I've seen the movie today.
It was wonderfully complex. Themes, storylines, concepts interwoven like a tapestry, and I was delighted to try to follow the different "golden threads" and try to keep this sad, romantic, funny, exciting, awesome construction alive inside my head.
And to everyone who insists on hating this movie:
You are wrong.
It's just like when the slave character shows the Englishman how friendship works by pointing first to his eye, then to his counterpart's, that connections happen on a moments notice and there is nothing else you need.
I loved Cloud Atlas. It has played with some of my favourite themes, it has demonstrated great cinematic craftsmanship, and it has left me with an emotional response, a "connection" if you will:
I want to be its friend.
That simple.