Escape to the Movies: Cloud Atlas

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Cloud Atlas

MovieBob takes us through the spectacle that is Cloud Atlas.

Watch Video

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Bob. Good job.

<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.392190-Marter-to-the-Movies-Cloud-Atlas>I completely agree.

I really hope that you can convince more people to see this. Because ... I dunno how well it's going to do. But it deserves to do incredibly well.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Oh wow. This movie sounds right up my ally. Unfortunately it's gonna be another 3 weeks until it comes out here in germany. Can't wait for it!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok, now you made me want to see this film now! I probably end up buying the dvd straight away when it's release! (Chances are I won't be seeing it in cinema anytime soon.)

itezel2

Mar 17, 2011
Omg omg omg i waited for this film to come yet completely forgrt about it for some time now, i am gonna see this TODAY! Thank you moviebob for that awesome review!!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
It's... it's actually good?

I absolutely adored the book, but I was near certain that they would screw up the movie something fierce. Then I heard that it was reviewing badly. I thought Bob was going to disappointedly tear it a new one.

Nice to hear that there's some hope for it after all.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
I wanted to see this, but was on the fence because of the Wachowski brothers. Seems like its worth it though.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
All mighty god of actors and cinema: Please let this movie sweep the Oscars instead of some WWII Ocsar-bait bullshit.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I'm torn. This movie will likely be on base in a few weeks, but this looks good enough that I may wait another month or two so I can see it in a much better theater out in town (in Japan).

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
I don't know what rock I've been living under but this is my first time hearing about this movie. That said, sounds like something I might have to go check out.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
So how exactly does Warner intend to put out a JL movie to compete with the Avengers, when they have not put in the effort to construct a franchise to compete with the films surrounding the individual members?

Marvel generated interest for the ensemble film by establishing the various characters for the viewing audience (particularly Iron Man and Thor, who were not nearly as popular as Captain America or The Hulk). Plus it gave audiences a base understanding of their powers so they wouldn't have to waste time explaining it in the group movie.

Warner apparently intends to trot out Superman, try and reboot Batman on the heels of an incredible trilogy for which I do not expect them to find a comparable actor OR director, and then expect people to care about Aquaman, The Flash, Green Lantern et al without first telling people why they should bother (not to mention simultaneously encouraging them to forget the Martin Campbell debacle for GL ever happened).

And also, they'll have to write a screenplay to compete with Joss Whedon, God of the Nerds. [http://youtu.be/QDajL441mZc?t=8s]

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Zhukov said:
It's... it's actually good?

I absolutely adored the book, but I was near certain that they would screw up the movie something fierce. Then I heard that it was reviewing badly. I thought Bob was going to regretfully tear it a new one.

Nice to hear that there's some hope for it after all.
Every critic I know of who's is worth a damn is giving this movie extremely high praise.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
castlewise said:
I wanted to see this, but was on the fence because of the Wachowski brothers. Seems like its worth it though.
And why would someone be on the fence about them? Please don't tell me its because of the Matrix movies...

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
Thanks for the head's up on going to see it before the review. I have read the book and am hoping and by your initial remarks did a very good job at keeping the storyline intact.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
From your description this sounds like the kind of "artistic" movie that I hate. Like last years tree of Life.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Convinced and more than likely going to take my Monday to go and see it since this weekend won't be very friendly to me.

Slightly off topic but I'd really like to hear Bob's take on Warner Bros' plan to make Justice League the opposite of Avengers (ie: one huge team movie which turns into individual hero movies set as one continuity)