Escape to the Movies: Cloud Atlas

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
I'm reminded of the joke Zero Punctuation review of Duke Nukem - but apparently this is a real thing.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
Props for Final Fantasy (1) reference!

I think that's one of the most unabashedly supportive reviews I've ever seen for a film.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Had not so much as heard of this movie until 5 minutes ago. It's now absolutely on my radar.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
So, essentially, they took GEODESSEY by Piers Anthony and adapted it. Yeah, I know it is based off the book Cloud Atlas, but it was the Geodessey series that first took that concept, that I am aware of.

It takes the same bunch of characters throughout time changing societies, races, and other circumstances along the way. It is a way to explore history through an era-spanning novel.

Although I kept thinking of Geodyssey all through the review, I am very intrigued by the movie and I have always respected Bob's opinion. I will watch it and try to keep Geodyssey from invading my thoughts. It is just not fair to compare :)

Apples_McGrind

Oct 27, 2009
Wakikifudge said:
I dunno.... I agree with you on a lot of things Bob but when your review is almost the polar opposite of the general consensus, that's when I seem to disagree. This is one of those reviews.

The most common criticisms of the film seem to be that each of it's eight stories come off more as trailers for real movies and that the film's "deep message" gets jammed down the audience's throat and comes off as pretentious.

I think I'll wait until some of my friends see it. They have very similar tastes in movies as me and if they tell me that it is good, then I'll go see it.
If you've read enough reviews, you would know that the film doesn't really have a general consensus. The reviews have been all over the map with critics slamming, praising it and even admitting confusion over the film. Bob's is just one in the love it category. Fact is, everyone is going to have a viscerally different reaction to this film, and trying to judge and see if your friends like it or not is going to be inherently pointless, since you'll all have different opinions on the film.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Marter said:
Bob. Good job.

<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.392190-Marter-to-the-Movies-Cloud-Atlas>I completely agree.

I really hope that you can convince more people to see this. Because ... I dunno how well it's going to do. But it deserves to do incredibly well.
I want to go see it but theatres in California are a fucking nightmare :/.

It's like paying 20 bucks to have people shit all over you anonymously. The second those lights go out nobody will shut the fuck up or stop using their phone.

I sound all boyish and extroverted explaining it but I really wish I didn't need to have a warrior spirit in real life just to sit and actually see a film :/.

I miss Washington...

I'll just get it on blu-ray when it releases :(.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
So, um.... I thought this was the second part of the Altas Shrugged movie or something, but you know, now I'm actually curious about seeing it. My mom wanted to see it, too, so maybe I'll go see it with her.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
theultimateend said:
I want to go see it but theatres in California are a fucking nightmare :/.

It's like paying 20 bucks to have people shit all over you anonymously. The second those lights go out nobody will shut the fuck up or stop using their phone.

I sound all boyish and extroverted explaining it but I really wish I didn't need to have a warrior spirit in real life just to sit and actually see a film :/.

I miss Washington...

I'll just get it on blu-ray when it releases :(.
That's a shame. But maybe with a film like this it would be different? The people doing that would go see something else instead, perhaps, instead of the 3-hour epic?

I dunno. But it's great and you need to see it. :)

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
DVS BSTrD said:
Is the "devil" called Wilson by any chance?
Castaway 2: Wilson's Revenge
"When 'I'm sorry' just isn't enough".

OT

Well this looks... interesting. I probably won't be able to see this while it's in theaters, but I'll definitely give it a look when the Blu-Ray comes out.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
CaptDom said:
Don Reba said:
Gah, it sucks to be in Europe sometimes. The movie will probably hit the torrents before theatres here.
Sigh, wait till March or February? Fuck no.

They can keep their fucking film, I don't care what the excuse is, do we really have to still put up with this shit in 2012?

Maybe I can use the time to read the book first, if only. Hah. Bollocks! I'm boycotting the whole franchise. All by myself if I gotta.
The lone boycotter is the most useless force in the world.

OT: It's sealed, I gotta see this.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
When a movie critic tells me to see the movie first to avoid spoilers I almost never listen but this time I did and I am glad I did. Holy crap this is probably the most dense movie I have ever seen. By that I mean chalked full of...of...everything. Most bizarre and interesting movie I have seen since Big Fish and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. At almost 3 hours it deserves a medal just for being interesting for that long.

Of course I could recommend it just to hear Keith Davids seductive voice but all the actors are phenomenal especially Tom Hanks. Go see it because Bob is right on the money here.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
If I had the money, I would go see it.

DVS BSTrD said:
Is the "devil" called Wilson by any chance?
It's hard for me to believe that it has been 12 years since Castaway. It was one of my favorite movies back then.

I'll admit it. I cried when:

Wilson floated away during the escape from the island.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Apples_McGrind said:
Wakikifudge said:
I dunno.... I agree with you on a lot of things Bob but when your review is almost the polar opposite of the general consensus, that's when I seem to disagree. This is one of those reviews.

The most common criticisms of the film seem to be that each of it's eight stories come off more as trailers for real movies and that the film's "deep message" gets jammed down the audience's throat and comes off as pretentious.

I think I'll wait until some of my friends see it. They have very similar tastes in movies as me and if they tell me that it is good, then I'll go see it.
If you've read enough reviews, you would know that the film doesn't really have a general consensus. The reviews have been all over the map with critics slamming, praising it and even admitting confusion over the film. Bob's is just one in the love it category. Fact is, everyone is going to have a viscerally different reaction to this film, and trying to judge and see if your friends like it or not is going to be inherently pointless, since you'll all have different opinions on the film.
True that they are all over the map (scores are ranging from 10-100%) but the majority of 40-70 area. That may not necessarily be a bad thing but if reviews are really this all over the map, there are probably some major flaws in it.

How could you possibly say that I'll have a different reaction to the movie than my friends? You don't know them... and I do. There are almost no movies/games/opinions that we disagree on. We all liked Lost up until the very end (and then we hated it). We all loved Mass Effect 3 up until the very end (and then hated it). We all decided that the majority of the problems we had with Mass Effect 3's ending were fixed with the EC. We all thought Avatar was Mediocre. We all thought that while Cabin in the Woods was great, it didn't actually have a twist that everyone was praising (unless you count that it was given away at the very beginning). We all liked Inception a lot but couldn't understand why it was nominated for Best Picture because it does have a fairly massive plot hole. We all love Breaking Bad. We all love Game of Thrones. We are all Atheists. We all think that Handsome Jack is one of the greatest villains of this console generation. We all hate the majority of current pop music. We all liked TDKR more than the Avengers. This list could keep going for a long time but I'll stop now.

That's a lot of things to agree about. Some of those things are very controversial and have reviews that are all over the map as well. Hmmm, it's almost like we're friends because we have common interests or something. Weird right? Oh wait, no it's not.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Wakikifudge said:
We all think that Handsome Jack is one of the greatest villains of this console generation.
Definitely not.

Although he's right up there alongside tiny drop rates and wormhole threshers as the most infuriatingly annoying 'features' that have been introduced into the Borderlands franchise by the second game.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Got bumped up to this month here in Aus, hooray we get a movie within a decent time to its US debut for once. Wreck it Ralph still not out till December here though, bah.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Paradoxrifts said:
Wakikifudge said:
We all think that Handsome Jack is one of the greatest villains of this console generation.
Definitely not.

Although he's right up there alongside tiny drop rates and wormhole threshers as the most infuriatingly annoying 'features' that have been introduced into the Borderlands franchise by the second game.
That's great and all but I was stating my OPINION. I was simply listing things that my friends and I agree about. Not really looking for a debate. You may not like Borderlands 2 but I do and that's fine. This just reinforces the point I was trying to make. Obviously people are going to disagree with some/all of the things I listed. My friends however do not and so if one of them goes and sees Cloud Atlas and likes it, there's a pretty good chance I'll like it too. At the moment though, I'm not interested in it.

weatherfn

Oct 22, 2008
I had not even heard of the movie before I got to the theater, and only saw it because the movie we were going to see started earlier than we had thought. Now, I am SO very happy that we saw this movie instead. It's very dense and crazy to follow with all the jumping around, but the whole ride is very satisfying.