Escape to the Movies: Cloud Atlas

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Wakikifudge said:
You may disagree with everything I just said and again, that's perfectly fine because we are all entitled to our own opinions. And this still does reinforce my point. Just replace Borderlands 2 with Handsome Jack in my previous statement and it works.
The game's story suffers dreadfully from tonal dissonance.

Simply put it was hard for me to be moved by moments of tragedy in a game that involved searching outhouses for loot and ammo. Now I know it's more than a little unfair to compare a movie with a game, but if you want to see good example of a villain on a path of self-destruction then you should check out Scarface.

That's how you get it done.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Paradoxrifts said:
Wakikifudge said:
You may disagree with everything I just said and again, that's perfectly fine because we are all entitled to our own opinions. And this still does reinforce my point. Just replace Borderlands 2 with Handsome Jack in my previous statement and it works.
The game's story suffers dreadfully from tonal dissonance.

Simply put it was hard for me to be moved by moments of tragedy in a game that involved searching outhouses for loot and ammo. Now I know it's more than a little unfair to compare a movie with a game, but if you want to see good example of a villain on a path of self-destruction then you should check out Scarface.

That's how you get it done.
Ah, I see what you're saying. Because the game places such an emphasis on comedy, when really serious and dark things do happen, you found them out of place and more distracting than anything? That makes sense. I actually found it to be the opposite though. For me personally, because there is such an emphasis on comedy and looting that when these moments of dark tragedy do happen, they are more shocking and moving than similar scenes in other movies.

I think I get where you're coming from though (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) and your opinion does make a lot of sense.

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
I want to watch the review, but if Moviebob says it's better to see it right away I'll trust him.

...It'll premiere in Sweden in over one hundred days.

Blargh! The torture!

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Wakikifudge said:
It's a little more than that.

By the end of the game it felt more like I was preforming a mercy killing of a two-dimensional cardboard cutout instead of triumphing over a properly realised and fleshed-out villain. It didn't ruin the rest of the game for me, but it's certainly enough for me to object to him being the 'greatest villain' of an entire console generation.

If anything, all that proves is a severe drought of competition.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
MB202 said:
So, um.... I thought this was the second part of the Altas Shrugged movie or something, but you know, now I'm actually curious about seeing it. My mom wanted to see it, too, so maybe I'll go see it with her.
That actually came out a few days ago. So far, the reviews for it haven't looked too good.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Dangit2019 said:
MB202 said:
So, um.... I thought this was the second part of the Altas Shrugged movie or something, but you know, now I'm actually curious about seeing it. My mom wanted to see it, too, so maybe I'll go see it with her.
That actually came out a few days ago. So far, the reviews for it haven't looked too good.
Surprised that movie even got a sequel/continuation.

Technicka

Jul 7, 2010
heyheysg said:
Hey bob, are you going to do an episode on the yellow face?
Don't you know, it's okay in this instance because it's such a deep and artsy movie!
See also: It's the future, so they aren't really Asian. So it's all good.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
The only thing that is putting me off is the reviews ive read in which the reviewer review comes off sounding like they are superior as they can appreciate the movie where as insinuating that people that dont care about the movie or 'dont get it' are stupid. Just so patronising. So many films people go on about being deep and full of meaning and they turn out to be as deep as a paddling pool.

Markunator

Nov 10, 2011
Sylveria said:
OlasDAlmighty said:
So it doesn't suck? I'm honestly surprised because the trailer really made it look like a pretentious bloated mess that tried to fit half a dozen movies into one and be the "ultimate film".

I guess I might go see it then.
You're assessment of the movie based on the trailer is 100% accurate, but this is Movie Bob, film snob. It's pretentious, psuedo-indie, nonsensical Oscar bait with a huge budget.. of course Bob is gushing for it. He loves this art-house-film-with-hundreds-of-millions-behind-it stuff because if he didn't, he'd lose his hipster cred.
How is Bob a film snob? He's an honest film critic, he "gushed" for this movie because he genuinely thought it was great.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
Gotta say, this movie was pretty damn amazing

Its not mindless though, You really gotta think while your watching it and pay the utmost attention, honestly, I liked it better than the Avengers and Dark Knight Rises. (yes, I know those were a completely diffrient genre of movie, but seeing as those were my favorite of the year, its a fitting comparison now that Ive seen this)

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
yunabomb said:
The fake asians don't really look asian. They just look like white people pretending to look asian based on what I've seen. The K-pop eyebrows look pretty weird as well, although I don't know if there's a reason the actors have been stylized to look that way.
Well no, of course they don't (particularly Hugo Weaving and his ENORMOUS forehead) - and it's somewhat interesting, because pretty much all the actors end up masquerading as another race at least once during the movie (I don't think Tom Hanks does, but other than that), sometimes you can tell who it is, but every now and again one slips by you.

The really interesting bit is where they do the makeup jobs which change more than necessarily race, and those are the ones you don't catch and wow you at the end. Hugh Grant gets a couple of these which I didn't catch at all until they showed it at the end.

To the movie itself - HOLY CRAP, knocked my socks off. The amount of skill it took to take something like this and just make it flow, so well... and ultimately, that's what's going to make a film like this work, that's what makes the difference between most people calling it "pretentious" and people calling it "awesome., and even for those who wouldn't call it pretentious, it really makes all the difference, sucking you in.

For those who've seen the film, did anyone else notice that the flow of the story and the cuts seemed to mimic musical structure - particularly in the latter third? It's a subtle touch, but one that was really awesome, given the themes of the film.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Damn you Bob, got me all excited so I went to check the Swedish premiere date... March 1! I hate this place sometimes

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
Hey has anyone mentioned yet that this is based on a book?
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, go read it because it's bloody good.

Apples_McGrind

Oct 27, 2009
Wakikifudge said:
Apples_McGrind said:
Wakikifudge said:
I dunno.... I agree with you on a lot of things Bob but when your review is almost the polar opposite of the general consensus, that's when I seem to disagree. This is one of those reviews.

The most common criticisms of the film seem to be that each of it's eight stories come off more as trailers for real movies and that the film's "deep message" gets jammed down the audience's throat and comes off as pretentious.

I think I'll wait until some of my friends see it. They have very similar tastes in movies as me and if they tell me that it is good, then I'll go see it.
If you've read enough reviews, you would know that the film doesn't really have a general consensus. The reviews have been all over the map with critics slamming, praising it and even admitting confusion over the film. Bob's is just one in the love it category. Fact is, everyone is going to have a viscerally different reaction to this film, and trying to judge and see if your friends like it or not is going to be inherently pointless, since you'll all have different opinions on the film.
True that they are all over the map (scores are ranging from 10-100%) but the majority of 40-70 area. That may not necessarily be a bad thing but if reviews are really this all over the map, there are probably some major flaws in it.

How could you possibly say that I'll have a different reaction to the movie than my friends? You don't know them... and I do. There are almost no movies/games/opinions that we disagree on. We all liked Lost up until the very end (and then we hated it). We all loved Mass Effect 3 up until the very end (and then hated it). We all decided that the majority of the problems we had with Mass Effect 3's ending were fixed with the EC. We all thought Avatar was Mediocre. We all thought that while Cabin in the Woods was great, it didn't actually have a twist that everyone was praising (unless you count that it was given away at the very beginning). We all liked Inception a lot but couldn't understand why it was nominated for Best Picture because it does have a fairly massive plot hole. We all love Breaking Bad. We all love Game of Thrones. We are all Atheists. We all think that Handsome Jack is one of the greatest villains of this console generation. We all hate the majority of current pop music. We all liked TDKR more than the Avengers. This list could keep going for a long time but I'll stop now.

That's a lot of things to agree about. Some of those things are very controversial and have reviews that are all over the map as well. Hmmm, it's almost like we're friends because we have common interests or something. Weird right? Oh wait, no it's not.
Sorry, I don't mean to knock your friends or your tastes by any means, but I'm saying this out of my own experiences. Many of my friends also have similar tastes and enjoyment in films, but Cloud Atlas was a film that definitively divided everyone in my close group of friends. All I'm saying is, there's a possibility, you guys may find yourself divided over the film as well, regardless of your past tastes.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Apples_McGrind said:
Wakikifudge said:
Apples_McGrind said:
Wakikifudge said:
I dunno.... I agree with you on a lot of things Bob but when your review is almost the polar opposite of the general consensus, that's when I seem to disagree. This is one of those reviews.

The most common criticisms of the film seem to be that each of it's eight stories come off more as trailers for real movies and that the film's "deep message" gets jammed down the audience's throat and comes off as pretentious.

I think I'll wait until some of my friends see it. They have very similar tastes in movies as me and if they tell me that it is good, then I'll go see it.
If you've read enough reviews, you would know that the film doesn't really have a general consensus. The reviews have been all over the map with critics slamming, praising it and even admitting confusion over the film. Bob's is just one in the love it category. Fact is, everyone is going to have a viscerally different reaction to this film, and trying to judge and see if your friends like it or not is going to be inherently pointless, since you'll all have different opinions on the film.
True that they are all over the map (scores are ranging from 10-100%) but the majority of 40-70 area. That may not necessarily be a bad thing but if reviews are really this all over the map, there are probably some major flaws in it.

How could you possibly say that I'll have a different reaction to the movie than my friends? You don't know them... and I do. There are almost no movies/games/opinions that we disagree on. We all liked Lost up until the very end (and then we hated it). We all loved Mass Effect 3 up until the very end (and then hated it). We all decided that the majority of the problems we had with Mass Effect 3's ending were fixed with the EC. We all thought Avatar was Mediocre. We all thought that while Cabin in the Woods was great, it didn't actually have a twist that everyone was praising (unless you count that it was given away at the very beginning). We all liked Inception a lot but couldn't understand why it was nominated for Best Picture because it does have a fairly massive plot hole. We all love Breaking Bad. We all love Game of Thrones. We are all Atheists. We all think that Handsome Jack is one of the greatest villains of this console generation. We all hate the majority of current pop music. We all liked TDKR more than the Avengers. This list could keep going for a long time but I'll stop now.

That's a lot of things to agree about. Some of those things are very controversial and have reviews that are all over the map as well. Hmmm, it's almost like we're friends because we have common interests or something. Weird right? Oh wait, no it's not.
Sorry, I don't mean to knock your friends or your tastes by any means, but I'm saying this out of my own experiences. Many of my friends also have similar tastes and enjoyment in films, but Cloud Atlas was a film that definitively divided everyone in my close group of friends. All I'm saying is, there's a possibility, you guys may find yourself divided over the film as well, regardless of your past tastes.
Ah ok. To me you came off as really smug but I see where you're coming from. No hard feelings.

Well I suppose something this controversial must be worth watching even if it's just for discussion purposes. Maybe I'll see it with some friends on cheap night.