Escape to the Movies: Comic-Con 2010

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Will Lorus said:
Actually, I think Whedon confirmed that he was at least co-writing the screenplay.

Hurm. That could go either way. I really like some of the stuff Whedon wrote. He can write the best lines ("How do we know it's you?" "Your a dick" "ok") and coolest bad-asses (Ron Perlman in Alien Resurrection for one) But some of his other stuff grates. Either way I'm going to it.

Will Lorus

Jul 23, 2010
Lono Shrugged said:
Will Lorus said:
Actually, I think Whedon confirmed that he was at least co-writing the screenplay.

Hurm. That could go either way. I really like some of the stuff Whedon wrote. He can write the best lines ("How do we know it's you?" "Your a dick" "ok") and coolest bad-asses (Ron Perlman in Alien Resurrection for one) But some of his other stuff grates. Either way I'm going to it.
I like Whedon's work quite a bit, many people forget that he also wrote a lot of the original Toy Story as well, which most people would agree is great. I think his problem though, having watched all his other projects, is that he can get stuck in these inrospective angsty ruts where things move slowly but a film script is far tighter than an episodic show so I'm hoping that won't be a problem.

He does write some great one liners though, I can imagine his Tony could be very funny and his script should give Widow something interesting to do.

Jorias

Dec 10, 2008
I just got around to watching the video, i was counting on my friends to fill me in on some details about Comic-Con,but they didnt. With that said i VERY happy to hear Joss Whedon is directing the avengers movie. That man does sci-fi/fantasy genre very well. I got goosebumps to hear him even say Thanos, I can't wait!!!

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
I saw whatlooked like the cosmic cube in the leaked Comic Con Thor trailer... and I almost had an nergasm, then Bob goes and show me the Infinity Gauntlet!

Holy shit is Thanos is in the Avengers movie it will rock!

Oh and my dream of Captain Marvel holds strong :D

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Will Lorus said:
I like Whedon's work quite a bit, many people forget that he also wrote a lot of the original Toy Story as well, which most people would agree is great. I think his problem though, having watched all his other projects, is that he can get stuck in these inrospective angsty ruts where things move slowly but a film script is far tighter than an episodic show so I'm hoping that won't be a problem.

He does write some great one liners though, I can imagine his Tony could be very funny and his script should give Widow something interesting to do.

I really hope he puts in the "do you think this letter on my head stands for france?!" line. I think he said it was his favorite line in the ultimates. I'm sure he'll do a great job. He is quite a good director all else aside.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
How much shit needs to blow up in Whedons face due to his own lack of talent before we can put him in the same hole as Shamalayan? I'd guess I'd be willing to let Whedon ruin Avengers if it gets him out of the business.

[b/]THE SUGAR CUBE THAT BOB APPARENTLY WANTS YOU ALL TO GOOGLE IS THE COSMIC CUBE[/b]

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
Seeing alot of nerdgasm around here... speaking of which has anyone made a .gif file of that NERDGASM! hulk scene from one of movie bob's other avenger's videos?

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
I honestly don't see what the problem with the Green Lantern costume is... I think using one straight from the canon Green Lantern comics would have been really lazy on the film-makers part- honestly, isn't that what movie adaptations are about?

You know, changing a story and characters into an entirely different medium? Tweaking things here and there while remaining faithful to the spirit of the work in question?

I like the new costume, it looks like it's actually constructed from some otherworldly material by way of the ring, and I honestly think that arrogantly pouting about it sounds very much like the elitist whinging that gave this alternative nerd culture such an awful name in the first place.

It has a solid as a rock director in Martin Campbell, and Reynolds has proven himself capable of handling himself in leading roles before.

Honestly, the pessimism about the project is way, way too early and smacks of childish resentment at an art direction purely because "it's not the same as in the comic, therefore it's gonna be shit!" attitude.

EDIT:

Also, "self hating compromises"? I don't see it, and I don't get it.

Come to think of it, I think that your bias, sorry, no, down-right leg humping of Marvel Studios projects is something I don't appreciate in a reviewer.

Yes, it's awesome that there's going to be an Avengers movie and that Joss "You can't take the sky from me" Whedon is going to be helming is fantastic news.
Yes, it's great to see that Thor looks like Thor, and that Anthony Hopkins looks like a fantastic Odin, but Marvel characters have always lent themselves a bit more to movies than DC characters.

If there was a Batman movie that didn't evolve things, I wouldn't bother with it. I honestly don't understand where this notion of "self hating compromise" fits in when you're dealing with moving from a graphic medium, to a medium that is limited by the realities of effects and budget.
The Batman movies had their own limitations, but they excelled expectations.

I seriously doubt that you've been thinking as a film maker lately, and have let the giddy geekiness of comic con make you believe that it's fine to belittle your less favoured comics and film makers.

And Robin isn't coming back with Nolan, so get used to it.

Catalyst691

Jan 22, 2008
TheFurryChicken said:
Catalyst691 said:
Christemo said:
Samuel L. Fucking Jackson as Nick Fury? EPIC!
That was known forever ago...Go watch after the end credits of Iron Man (the first one) and you'll see. :D
Go watch Iron Man 2. He's all over that one.
^Yeah, that would work, too. Although it's more of an "unveiling" in the first one, just saying.

Will Lorus

Jul 23, 2010
Boba Frag said:
I honestly don't see what the problem with the Green Lantern costume is... I think using one straight from the canon Green Lantern comics would have been really lazy on the film-makers part- honestly, isn't that what movie adaptations are about?

You know, changing a story and characters into an entirely different medium? Tweaking things here and there while remaining faithful to the spirit of the work in question?

I like the new costume, it looks like it's actually constructed from some otherworldly material by way of the ring, and I honestly think that arrogantly pouting about it sounds very much like the elitist whinging that gave this alternative nerd culture such an awful name in the first place.

It has a solid as a rock director in Martin Campbell, and Reynolds has proven himself capable of handling himself in leading roles before.

Honestly, the pessimism about the project is way, way too early and smacks of childish resentment at an art direction purely because "it's not the same as in the comic, therefore it's gonna be shit!" attitude.

EDIT:

Come to think of it, I think that your bias, sorry, no, down-right leg humping of Marvel Studios projects is something I don't appreciate in a reviewer.

Yes, it's awesome that there's going to be an Avengers movie and that Joss "You can't take the sky from me" Whedon is going to be helming is fantastic news.
Yes, it's great to see that Thor looks like Thor, and that Anthony Hopkins looks like a fantastic Odin, but Marvel characters have always lent themselves a bit more to movies than DC characters.

If there was a Batman movie that didn't evolve things, I wouldn't bother with it. I honestly don't understand where this notion of "self hating compromise" fits in when you're dealing with moving from a graphic medium, to a medium that is limited by the realities of effects and budget.

I seriously doubt that you've been thinking as a film maker lately, and have let the giddy geekiness of comic con make you believe that it's fine to belittle your less favoured comics and film makers.

I think you're reading way too much into what was said. I agree with you that the Green Lantern costume is not a big deal and isn't worth complaining about but I don't begrudge someone for not liking it and that isn't an uncommon opinion. Furthermore, we've seen nothing from the film bar those pics so we have nothing else to judge it on. Bob never said that Campbell and Reynolds were not capable of anything, he's commenting on the effects of revealing the costume, not what he thinks the movie will be like.

As for Marvel's projects, it's understandable to get more excited over them as they appear to be working hard to translate some well loved aspects of the comics into film such as the Infinity Gauntlet and the Cosmic Cube rather than dismiss them as too difficult due to the nature of the medium. This isn't to say it will succeed, I don't know, I hope so but at least they are going for it. The whole Avengers project is also an incredible undertaking that will set a record for film history in how it creates a shared universe for so many different films. The fact that it is happening at all is pretty groundbreaking.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Will Lorus said:
Boba Frag said:

EDIT:

I think you're reading way too much into what was said. I agree with you that the Green Lantern costume is not a big deal and isn't worth complaining about but I don't begrudge someone for not liking it and that isn't an uncommon opinion. Furthermore, we've seen nothing from the film bar those pics so we have nothing else to judge it on. Bob never said that Campbell and Reynolds were not capable of anything, he's commenting on the effects of revealing the costume, not what he thinks the movie will be like.

As for Marvel's projects, it's understandable to get more excited over them as they appear to be working hard to translate some well loved aspects of the comics into film such as the Infinity Gauntlet and the Cosmic Cube rather than dismiss them as too difficult due to the nature of the medium. This isn't to say it will succeed, I don't know, I hope so but at least they are going for it. The whole Avengers project is also an incredible undertaking that will set a record for film history in how it creates a shared universe for so many different films. The fact that it is happening at all is pretty groundbreaking.

Perhaps I am, but that's my perogative.

You misunderstand me- I am in no way opposed to the exciting project that Marvel are taking a shot at- I wish it every success.

What I had a problem with was the arrogance of what was said in relation to movies which were absolutely fantastic, and in no way deserving of the snide commentary.

The thing is, I would argue that he is already jumping on the bandwagon in decrying the costume, which, to me looks really interesting.

Anyway, I've said my piece and that's that.

Will Lorus

Jul 23, 2010
Boba Frag said:

You misunderstand me- I am in no way opposed to the exciting project that Marvel are taking a shot at- I wish it every success.

What I had a problem with was the arrogance of what was said in relation to movies which were absolutely fantastic, and in no way deserving of the snide commentary.

The thing is, I would argue that he is already jumping on the bandwagon in decrying the costume, which, to me looks really interesting.

I apologise for being so presumptuous with what I said, of course it's your perogative to say your peice.

I wouldn't say that Nolan's Batman films were not deserving of snide commentary, if that's what you were referring to, though. They are of course excellent but I think that there is room for criticism in some respects. To me, the most glaring issue was the difference between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight in terms of the relationship with the Batman mythos. I personally preferred Begins because a lot of detail was put into Gotham, the Batcave and Batman's combat style while The Dark Knight seemed more ashamed of it.

Arguably, that is an example of a sort of 'self hating compromise'. I think it's a matter of where you draw the line in cutting parts of the comics for a screen adaptation which different people feel differently on. I gather Bob prefers it when things are kept very similar.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Will Lorus said:
Boba Frag said:

I apologise for being so presumptuous with what I said, of course it's your perogative to say your peice.

I wouldn't say that Nolan's Batman films were not deserving of snide commentary, if that's what you were referring to, though. They are of course excellent but I think that there is room for criticism in some respects. To me, the most glaring issue was the difference between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight in terms of the relationship with the Batman mythos. I personally preferred Begins because a lot of detail was put into Gotham, the Batcave and Batman's combat style while The Dark Knight seemed more ashamed of it.

Arguably, that is an example of a sort of 'self hating compromise'. I think it's a matter of where you draw the line in cutting parts of the comics for a screen adaptation which different people feel differently on. I gather Bob prefers it when things are kept very similar.
There is a huge gulf between criticism and snide, childish put downs, which I think were repeatedly coming out in that review of Comic Con.

What you've just stated there is a great example of thought out, reasoned criticism.
I have to say, I'm a huge fan of Batman Begins for the reasons you outlined there. You nailed it in one!
I loved the atmosphere of Begins, the mist, the rain, the grime and damp of Gotham.

I think Nolan made a mistake in making it looking clean and shooting so much of it during the day. That said, it was a trade off, I think.

They were really looking to ramp up the stakes and the scale and turn it into this grand thrilling crime epic, which I think they largely succeeded in doing.
I did feel that Batman had the show stolen from him in many regards- apart from the genius of the location system, he was almost under-used and less intimidating than in the first film.

Still, Dark Knight is a great film.

That's kind of what I want from reviewers- if a movie has merits, they should be lauded; if it has some flaws they should be discussed, not necessarily blown to bits over them.

Maybe you should should start doing reviews, I've actually enjoyed this discussion a lot.

Will Lorus

Jul 23, 2010
Boba Frag said:
Will Lorus said:
Boba Frag said:

There is a huge gulf between criticism and snide, childish put downs, which I think were repeatedly coming out in that review of Comic Con.

What you've just stated there is a great example of thought out, reasoned criticism.
I have to say, I'm a huge fan of Batman Begins for the reasons you outlined there. You nailed it in one!
I loved the atmosphere of Begins, the mist, the rain, the grime and damp of Gotham.

I think Nolan made a mistake in making it looking clean and shooting so much of it during the day. That said, it was a trade off, I think.

They were really looking to ramp up the stakes and the scale and turn it into this grand thrilling crime epic, which I think they largely succeeded in doing.
I did feel that Batman had the show stolen from him in many regards- apart from the genius of the location system, he was almost under-used and less intimidating than in the first film.

Still, Dark Knight is a great film.

That's kind of what I want from reviewers- if a movie has merits, they should be lauded; if it has some flaws they should be discussed, not necessarily blown to bits over them.

Maybe you should should start doing reviews, I've actually enjoyed this discussion a lot.
I've also enjoyed talking to you, I'm glad we got to discuss these things reasonably. It's always nice to discuss these things with a fellow comic fan and I agree that sometimes people concentrate too much on snark when discussing negatives. Positives really should be discussed more, after all, that's what why we enjoy these things in the first place. Interestingly enough, I do write reviews, I just don't do anything with them. Writing them is just cathartic for me.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
WHy no mention of Sucker Punch? That teaser trailer is the biggest geekout I've had in months.

ImpostorZim

Jan 7, 2009
So wait, what's up? No mention of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World? I figured there'd be news about that. I'm kinda disappointed now...