Escape to the Movies: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Apes With Machine Guns

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Apes With Machine Guns

One of the best action blockbusters this summer.

Watch Video

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
"Esc-APE-ist"

Priceless.

I think I'll give this one a shot then. Thanks Bob. :)

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
The way you started the review out, it sounded like it was shit. good thing it doesn't sound like it.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Glad to hear this one is still good.

I've said before that I feel that great science fiction tends to use the fantastical elements of the setting to tell a modern story, or comment on modern social or ethical dilemma. Rise did a really great job with that and I have high hopes for Dawn.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Moviebob likes it SKIP!

In seriousness the set up for Apes is so, so stupid it makes Transformers look smart which is saying something (just going by the trailers).

As to Man of Steel and Doomsday you've lost that one Bob as Superman Returns showed people are not interested in a Superman film were Superman doesn't punch things.

And there just are not many DC villain's that are powerful and famous enough what with Darkseid being most likely used for a Justice League film.

Seriously Mongul and Despero or Toyman, Parasite and Metallo aren't going to be main film villains.

Jan 12, 2012
IanDavis said:
Do I have to have seen the previous one first?
Not really. I'm pretty sure that most of the emotional beats (Caesar watching a video of him and Franco with tears in his ape eyes) are pretty easily understood, and I think the rest of the plot holds up on it's own once you accept the basic premise.

OT: Surprised that Bob was so enthusiastic about the first one. I saw it at the time and thought it was good but not as good as Bob paints it. Maybe I'll go rewatch that.

Anyways, I just hope that at some point they do finally do the actual Planet of the Apes movie they are building to. I don't particularly want to see it, but I also don't want an endless stream of prequels.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Sleekit said:
i wanna see one where the apes get religion...
That would be practically impossible to pull off without being either condescending or preachy.

ClanCrusher

Constructive Critic
Mar 11, 2010
I'm still kinda on the fence about this movie. I didn't mind Rise so much, but when I first saw that image of all the apes on horseback dual wielding machine guns, two thoughts immediately came to mind.

First, I hope they have a lot of extra clips on hand because firing a weapon like that full-auto will probably get you a couple seconds of sustained fire.

Second, I am watching apes on horseback dual-wielding machine guns. Am I really supposed to be taking this movie seriously as your review implies? The sheer ridiculousness of it all makes me want to hold on to my money and wait for Guardians of the Galaxy. At least then I'll know that their over-the-top ridiculousness is by design.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I saw the first one and, much as I enjoyed it and held some hope that the sequel would be good as well, something about it just being a sequel had me on the fence. Then Bob talks about the solid, character-driven points that elevate this above common action garbage and suddenly I'm legitimately excited. Thank you Bob for restoring my faith.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
Ape with a machine gun? It's been done:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlk63g_young-justice-episode-13-part-1-2_shortfilms
Timestamp :52 | (and that's entirely coincidental and not at all any attempt to be clever)

Helen Walmsley

May 3, 2014
I look forward to when this gets a UK release XD I really liked Rise so I'm glad to hear this reboot is continuing

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Avaholic03 said:
Sleekit said:
i wanna see one where the apes get religion...
That would be practically impossible to pull off without being either condescending or preachy.
Also, I think Rise already kinda put that possibility to bed. Religion rises out of questions regarding 'where did I come from?' and 'what is my purpose?' For Caesar, and for all of the other apes in this new canon, those questions already have definite answers (i.e. their intelligence, and by extension, they come from human science, which was trying to cure a human disease).

OT: When Bob spent almost half of the review talking about how good the LAST one was, I was certain that he was either building up to, or trying to put off the moment when, he had to admit that he found Dawn to not really measure up. I am very glad this wasn't the case, because golly if I hadn't been getting hyped for this! :D

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
You know, it's funny, I've watched it several times and I still can't decide if I like Rise. I really like the parts of it that I like, but the parts I don't like really annoy me and I can't decide if what I like about it outweighs what I don't like. But in a way, I guess that's to the film's credit that even a movie curmudgeon like me is trying so hard not to like it and still can't say that he does.
I don't know if I'm going to see the new one in theaters or just wait for it to come out on DVD, though.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Do I need to have watched the first one to better understand this? Or does it work well on its own?

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Thunderous Cacophony said:
IanDavis said:
Do I have to have seen the previous one first?
Anyways, I just hope that at some point they do finally do the actual Planet of the Apes movie they are building to. I don't particularly want to see it, but I also don't want an endless stream of prequels.
Actually I don't know. Tim Burton tried just do an reboot of the Planet of the Apes which failed miserably. We don't really need another one just telling about a bunch of astronauts (none of them Charlton Heston) crash landing on another "alien" planet only to discover... (spoiler to 50 year old movie deleted) After all the original is still pretty great even if the effects don't hold up.

I haven't seen the new Apes movie yet, but I'm happy with them doing their own thing of contemporary humans vs intelligent apes. If you look at the original movies they started with the end and then worked their way back through history to show how they got there (I think chronologically the order was something like 3,4,5,1,2), I think here is actually interesting to start at the beginning; at least makes it feel different.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
So the new smash is going to have alternate costumes and not just pallet swaps. Thats awesome news.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
youji itami said:
In seriousness the set up for Apes is so, so stupid it makes Transformers look smart which is saying something (just going by the trailers).
I feel the same way about this movie series. Even giving them the benefit of the doubt in how the retrovirus works and what it does, the number of apes on the entire planet is significantly less than a million members among all species combined. Even if every ape on the planet got super intelligent and 99.9% of people got wiped out the apes would still be outnumbered 70:1.

And maybe I'm just getting old but machine-gun gorillas on horseback just looks silly rather than awesome.