Escape to the Movies: Daybreakers

AngryPuppy

Feb 18, 2010
I am confused by this review and some of the comments. This movie was terrible. Tons of Gore? Unless you count the blood bags, bottles of "blood wine" and a few other scenes... hardly. It's a pretentious film that moves at a snails pace until the very end, which was predictable, boring, and almost as bad as any Twilight book. In no way did this movie make "Vampires Vampires again".

Willem Dafoe was terrible as usual too. Why is this crappy actor getting any kind of love on here? Isabel Lucas was decent, but of course what happens to her was a no surprise cliche just to make the "bad guy" look like more of a douche. Ethan Hawke was mediocre at best, but that's par for the course with him. Sam Neill and the rest of the supporting staff were hit and miss.

Anyways, just my opinion. No offense to any fans intended.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I finally rented and watched Daybreakers, and it was every bit as awesome as MovieBob said it was. I just loved it! I'm not too keen on all the gore, though, but I guess it's to be expected from ACTUAL vampires.

Jiki

Jan 21, 2008
Well, this was an unbelievably boring and predictable movie and that an irritatingly fanboysh review (also, a few small social commentaries do not make a good movie - a retarded chimp could make a social commentary, but with their mind intact nobody would call that world-class).

So if this is the type of thing the stereotypical geek culture should like, then I'm quite glad for having avoided the glee of joining this pretentious cult.

Sebass

Jul 13, 2009
Oh god the ending, that was so horrible and shitty it almost ruined the movie.

Now that being said, I do love the first two thirds of the movie. I went in expecting a sci-fi movie rather than a vampire movie and I felt like I got something decent. I really loved the atmosphere of the movie; the blue-greyish colour palette, the combination of futuristic technology with 30's style of dress, hair and smoking, .. It looked wonderful until the action scenes which had indeed a real B-movie feel.

But still .. The ending was so bad .. I really want to love this movie but I can only 'like' it :(

Redalert9r9r

Apr 9, 2010
Tootmania said:
flaming_squirrel said:
The vampire movie equivelant of District 9? This I must see.
Hahahahahahahahaha!!... No.... no way....

In all seriousness though, this film kind of sucked. The "anti-Twilight"? Kind of ironic, considering that the ONLY really well done thing in this movie is that the vampires act like real vampires. Which is enough to cash in on all the people who spend their time hating Twilight, even though the acting, writing, and execution of pretty much the whole thing was terrible...
I agree completely, I can't believe MovieBob actually like this, I'm no professional movie reviewer, but I can tell you that the script, plot (towards the later half of the movie at least), and execution was awful.

zombays

Apr 12, 2010
Xavier78 said:
I am confused by this review and some of the comments. This movie was terrible. Tons of Gore? Unless you count the blood bags, bottles of "blood wine" and a few other scenes... hardly. It's a pretentious film that moves at a snails pace until the very end, which was predictable, boring, and almost as bad as any Twilight book. In no way did this movie make "Vampires Vampires again".

Willem Dafoe was terrible as usual too. Why is this crappy actor getting any kind of love on here? Isabel Lucas was decent, but of course what happens to her was a no surprise cliche just to make the "bad guy" look like more of a douche. Ethan Hawke was mediocre at best, but that's par for the course with him. Sam Neill and the rest of the supporting staff were hit and miss.

Anyways, just my opinion. No offense to any fans intended.
You OBVIOUSLY were blind the majority of the movie, you remember the scene when the guy just EXPLODES into blood? No, of course not, cause you probably NEVER BLOODY SAW IT. It's a great movie, might be a tad predictible but everything else is AWESOME without the need of giant, exaggerated explosions or blue people (Avatar)

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
hmm, this movie was totally advertised wrong, when I saw the trailers I thought it was going to be a stupid blade knock off that took advantage of the twilight boom. Well I must rectify that with a DVD run.

Cuppa Tetleys

Mar 22, 2010
Oh dear...I was really looking forward to liking this, and I agree a lot of it has some cool stuff and original ideas but for me, it lets itself down in so many areas:

Characters; I don't know about Bob, but I just couldn't get attached to any of the characters - especially the main guy, this was a film that concentrated on premise and forsook character building. You learn about 3 things about each character and are expected to care about them, and they're introduced one after the other and then they disappear for half of it.
Writing; cliche after cliche, I'm just tired of it now - you can't watch this after watching the social network, it makes the gap more apparent. The script is trying to be badass and macho, but it just leaves the actors with no room to emote or act like real people! Bob's always going on about how likable characters make exciting action sequences (I wholeheartedly agree), but this just doesn't manage it.
Rushed: Other than the brilliant first 10 minutes where there's no dialogue, every other scene is rushed and leaves little opportunity to invest - Bob says it 'blows through it', but that I'SNT a good thing! Also there's a good scene with the cannibal vampires in a house that could've been made sooooooo good if the director had just taken their time to build tension - but it's just in, out.
Wasted potential: there were some bits I loved in this film - the beginning, the return to the human stock and the cannibal vampires, but it was just all wasted and not brought out it's full potential. If the film concentrated on the cannibal vampires a bit more and gave more time to the characters and writing, this film could have been AMAZING, but as it stands it barely registers as average.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
My mom and I never saw it in the movies, but we picked it up as a DVD purpose and honestly expected it to be laughable crap. Booooy were we wrong. We both fell in love with the movie. My favorite part being how the vampires are "normal" and go about their immortal hum drum lives, waiting on subways, drinking blood coffee, going to work. It just amazed me. And the plot with the blood shortage and the problems it causes was awesome too.