Escape to the Movies: Devil

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
HOOOOOOOOLD ON!

If they're trapped in a lift/elevator, where the hell does the toast even come from?

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
On your Lucifer bit Bob...

He is the Father of All Lies. In my opinion, he's not so much a hands-on guy as much as an indirect leader. He doesn't have to directly harm or coerce...he just has to convince you to do it. Oh, and he does have a vast army of flying monkey demons...

Great review, tho. On another note: how about a review for The Town?

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
wooty said:
HOOOOOOOOLD ON!

If they're trapped in a lift/elevator, where the hell does the toast even come from?
Oh snap!

I could tell this movie was gonna be retarded just by watching the trailer last time I went to the movies (I watched Inception and it was AWESOME! I wonder why it took it so long to come out in Greece...).

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
I don't get how throwing toast up in the air would prove anything. I mean if he's trying to check out which side is the devil side i.e if it doesn't land butter side down the devil is in the room, then if makes no sense. Mythbusters proved that statistically toast as about a 50/50 chance of landing on either side.

I haven't watched the movie so I don't know if some thing specially happens when he throws the toast, I'm just speculating but if it is for the reasons I just stated then well... Logic fail I guess.

Either way... This wasn't a film I was excited about and to be honest I've almost fully given up on recent horror movies these days. None of them have proved to me that they have any ability to scare the audience and instead go for the gross out option which bores me to tears.

Most of the movies involve some love interest and a bullied kid then loads of gore, poor attempts at suspense and idiot characters. I miss the old movies like Carpenters first Halloween movie that didn't really have a love interest (A crush was implied between Laurie and some other guy but we never see anything of it other than a phone call and I don't have to be slopped out of my brains) the film was pretty much bloodless and the film relied on clever camera work, music and pacing to get the job done. That film was scary and had a truly scary villain who had a pretty simple design to him but still worked. Though I guess they fucked all that up with the sequels and then Rob came along and gave him a backstory effectively fucking all the mystery of the character and his motivations up.

Speaking of Rob Zombie, he seems one of the few horror directors out there who seems to be doing a good job in the genre and despite my above complaint of his interpretation of Michael Myers motivation... I really enjoyed his Halloween reboots. They were certainly much better than many of the other Horror reboots to have came out in a long while.

Ba'h I've went a little off topic. My point was that I'm bored of the current horror genre and the trailers to 'Devil' haven't convinced me to see the film nor do they seem be adding anything positive to the genre. I can't wait until a film comes out with some actual scares to it but well looks like I'll be waiting a while for that.

As for Shamalyan (or however you spell it) me'h I've enjoyed a good amount of his films so far though he's had a few hiccups here and there and his name being at the top of the poster doesn't deter me or encourage me to see it.

Goldeneye1989

Deathwalker
Mar 9, 2009
googleit6 said:
Wait.. so where did they get the toast is they are stuck in an elevator?

I really wanted to see this movie... until now. Thanks for the warning.
this, and not only it was buttered,.... WHAT

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I wasn't going to touch this one with a 10-foot pole. It sounded more like a late-night cable channel movie than a feature release.

I'm trying to think of fictional portrayals of the Devil that I actually liked:

-Garth Ennis' run on Hellblazer plus the brief appearance of Satan in his Preacher.

-Brimstone

-The first Prophecy (played by Viggo Mortensen!)

-In the 1971 Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory film, if you consider Willy Wonka as God, that makes Slugworth a great Satan-figure. In the Old Testament sense.

-And definitely Lucy from the web series Mr. Deity [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKM_JlCIMak].

raven47172

Expert Slacker
Sep 17, 2010
The toast scene is used in the context to show that when the devil is near everything is backwards hence toast lands jelly side down.

Second, the devil was not involved in the story of Adam and Eve that was just a snake. It was turned into the devil to try to retcon him into the old testament. Satan is in the Book of Job but he is not the master of evil he is more of a prosecutor trying to prove a case not trying to corrupt Job.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
wooty said:
HOOOOOOOOLD ON!

I always bring toast when I know I'm going to use a elevator during the day.

LockandKey

Feb 22, 2009
Toast Really? TOAST??!?!?!?

Might as well had one guy counter by saying I'll flip a coin.
Heads this is real
Tails I'm hallucinating.

All things considered if you look at the movie as some sort of weird metaphor/hallucination of a man who murdered innocent people because of a psychotic due to what he did I feel it would have worked better or at least been funnier.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
THE WALRUS! IT COMMANDS ME TO COMMIT ACTS OF CHAOS AND HORROR!!!

I wonder how much it costs to Fund an M. Night Shiamalan film....

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
raven47172 said:
The toast scene is used in the context to show that when the devil is near everything is backwards hence toast lands jelly side down.
Which doesn't make a lick of sense given that it's just about 50/50 on which side it will land on. So the toast shouldn't really prove anything (as said above, Mythbusters proved this one).

Falseprophet said:
I wasn't going to touch this one with a 10-foot pole. It sounded more like a late-night cable channel movie than a feature release.

I'm trying to think of fictional portrayals of the Devil that I actually liked:

-Garth Ennis' run on Hellblazer plus the brief appearance of Satan in his Preacher.

-The first Prophecy (played by Viggo Mortensen!)
Internet high five.

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
For the record, his account of "the devil" in the Old Testament is a little off. A "satan" was a title given to an angel who God uses to test people's faith. The satan shown in the Old Testament is tasked by God to test or oppose people like Belaam and Job. He is basically what we today call a devil's advocate. In modern day he could be likened to a member of a mafia family who does the dirty work for his Don (God).

Later in the bible it's said that Satan (a proper noun this time) is given rulership of the world by God. He is literally the king of Earth, and even has a throne on the highest mountain.

Satan actually never appears in Genesis. The notion of good and evil weren't even in Christianity yet, that notion was invented later by Zoroastrianism. The snake that entices Eve to eat the fruit (it's not an apple) is quite literally just a talking snake. The reason it's the snake who makes Eve sin is because the snake is the smartest of the animals and knows that eating the fruit will make them "like gods" (in this case meaning intelligent, because Adam and Eve are dumb as fuck before noming the fruit).

Just wanted to clarify that. I still don't plan on watching the movie, though it's strange that he says we shouldn't begrudge Shyamalan and then mentions how his usual themes keep popping up.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
wooty said:
HOOOOOOOOLD ON!

this guy is the security guard watching the camera. hes not in the elevator.