Escape to the Movies: Devil

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I'm glad someone pointed out that Satan is actually not the Ultimate Source Of All Evil in the Bible.

I'm a little disappointed that no one's pointed out that God's "omnipotence" was largely a RetCon on the part of the New Testament authors. If you assume that Yahweh is LESS powerful than most of the other Elohim (and you keep track of when, in the original book, he was referred to as "Yahweh" and when he was referred to as "Elohim," which is the plural for "god"), then He comes out of the Torah looking resourceful and well-intentioned, and the narrative makes sense. If you assume He's omnipotent, then you run into theodicy problems from day one, and he looks like a petty, hypocritical tyrant.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
That toast statement has me fuming! There are so many things I want to type write now to just describe how stupid that plot point is! It's SO stupid!

Anyway, nice to know it sucks, I wont bother.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I'm getting a little tired of movies being promoted around their producers and not the people actually making the movie. Its nice that you have a producer/production company that has had some successes before, but maybe you should be able to stand to some degree on your own and not the coattails of your producer.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
The devil didn't do anything at the begining it was just "A snake tat was craftier than any of the animals the lord god had made"

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
shyamalan doesn't help himself does he? i know you say it had very little to do with him, but even so.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Really? Toast? TOAST? The food equivelent of a COIN FLIP decides if the LORD OF DARKNESS is in the same building? REALLY? Not the constant appearance of 666, all animals retreating from the building, TOAST?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

smartyknickers

Jan 2, 2010
I saw the trailer for Devil when I went to see Scott Pilgrim. When "From the mind of M. Night Shyamalan" appeared on screen several people groaned, and then everyone started laughing.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
sethzard said:
The devil didn't do anything at the begining it was just "A snake tat was craftier than any of the animals the lord god had made"
Not just that, but the serpent exposed what was at best a Jedi Truth [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FromACertainPointOfView?from=Main.JediTruth] from God, and at worst a bald-faced lie. I've always preferred Lucifer as a Promethean figure trying to free humanity from the tyranny of a Gnostic Demiurge kind of God.

But anyway, after making the rounds of various reviews of this movie, I want to listen to, say, an hour of dinner conversation between Moviebob and Brad Jones like Bob wants a Spider-Ham movie.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
I lold so hard at the toasty ending.

So, group of people closed together in a small room trying to figure out wtf is going on ?
Try Exam by Stuart Hazeldine instead.

Saarai-fan

Nov 12, 2009
Yeah, Satan as depicted in the Bible is more along the lines of Starscream than any other villian within popular culture and entertainment. Would make possibly more sense in popular culture if he was along the lines of Lex Luthor or Vegeta, but doesn't seem to be.

But to honest. I was hoping to see a review of Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps instead of this. Hopefully we'll see that next week.

googleit6

May 12, 2010
Wait.. so where did they get the toast is they are stuck in an elevator?

I really wanted to see this movie... until now. Thanks for the warning.