Escape to the Movies: Dhoom 3

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Not a fan of musicals in my movies, but seeing how EVERY Bollywood film has them it is inescapable if i want to see one. I do indeed want to see this now that i've been made aware of it. But man that name play.

I assume DHOOM is an acronym.

On a completely unrelated,
is what pops into my head when ever i see or hear Bollywood. Years of internet has warped my mind! lol

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Yuuki said:
Except with good action scenes and, if we're lucky, characters interesting enough to actually care about.
This is some kind of a joke right? You can't compare Now You See Me with Dhoom 3. The two movies aren't anywhere near on the same level as far as characters, intellectual elements, plot or even special effects go. Completely different standards and scales. That's putting aside the fact that Dhoom 3 is a blatant rip-off of Now You See Me and/or The Prestige, if I was to tell you the sheer number of Hollywood "clone" movies that Bollywood releases every year (they don't even try to hide it) you would lose your mind :p[/quote]

I really wouldn't, considering how much "cloning" goes on in Hollywood as well.

Considering I haven't actually seen Dhoom 3 I'm just comparing the two based on trailers and what Moviebob shared here. On that basis, it already looks better than Now You See Me, if only because Now You See Me is crap so it doesn't take much to look like an improvement.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
Not a fan of musicals in my movies, but seeing how EVERY Bollywood film has them it is inescapable if i want to see one. I do indeed want to see this now that i've been made aware of it. But man that name play.

I assume DHOOM is an acronym.

On a completely unrelated,
is what pops into my head when ever i see or hear Bollywood. Years of internet has warped my mind! lol
No, "DHOOM" is not an acronym. There is not exactly English equivalent, but it can be loosely translated as "over the top" or "impressive". Note that Dhoom is both a noun and an adjective (I think it's also an adjective but I cannot recall any specific instance of it).

EDIT: As far as pronunciation goes, Bob's attempt is admirable but incorrect. It is not pronounced as "doom". The "DH" is sound very close to the "th" sound in "the".

Chucker

Sep 3, 2008
bartholen said:
Mangod said:
For me, the real question is this: is it better than Doom?

:/

... I'm guessing Dhoom 3 is far superior.
That's the logical direction to go: In the next film the cops will be fighting demons on Mars, with the final confrontation being a 10-minute musical battle sequence with Satan. Glorious!
I would see the Doom movie remade by a bollywood director. Dancing demons everyone.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
antidonkey said:
I've developed a small fascination with Bollywood movies due to their distilled Bonkers-ness. I've not managed to sit down to see one yet though. Perhaps this will be the one. It looks pretty nuts and majorly entertaining.
I haven't seen this one yet but the last time I got convinced to watch anything Bollywood it was a for a superhero TV series called "Shakira"... and I really wish I hadn't. I made it through the first episode, I'll say that much. Given the rave reviews that got from certain people, and how similar the hype for it sounded to "Dhoom" all I can say is that I'll pass. Maybe I'll give "Dhoom 3" a chance if it show up for free on Netflix or something when I'm bored and browsing, but as I said, I tried that already... and well... I don't see Bollywood having the kind of impact in the US that the Hong Kong action cinema did... of course I could be proven wrong down the road, for all I know in six months I'll by chance wind up raving about Indian movies, the way I got into HK action flicks or Japanese horror for a while.

Custrd

Jun 15, 2013
Just to put up a point here but I have grown up watching Bollywood movies and Dhoom 3 is The Expendables of the Bollywood movies. Its a big budget movie that everyone should like, it has several musical numbers, over the top action etc. If you watch other big Bollywood movies they will have (mostly) the same theme.