Escape to the Movies: Django Unchained

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Wow. Wasn't expecting that.

While we're shooing off the not that good villains, can you get rid of Loki, too? Honestly, your stubborn refusal to acknowledge the faults of the Avengers is getting a bit annoying. Loki should have been fuckloads more interesting than he was in either Thor or The Avengers. He's a fucking trickster archetype! In the original mythology, he ended up as the mother of Odin's horse because of one of his pranks going in very much the wrong direction. These are the archetypes who are meant to break all the rules, ignore all the mores and do insanely ridiculous things as a part of schemes that are either hilarious, or mind-blowing, if not both. So why is he reduced to an angsty little ***** who whines and mopes more than he does anything else and shows no interesting or unique powers at all? Even worse, in The Avengers he is reduced to nothing more than a one-note pawn who shows no cleverness whatsoever.
I've not read too many of the comics, but even in the ones I *have* read, Loki was far more interesting than he was in either of the two movies. Hell, if he'd been interesting at all, he'd have been moreso than in the movies.

It's kind of appropriate that the recaptcha I have to enter for this rant is "wisdom teeth" because seeing what they did to him in those movies felt like I was having them pulled.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
The Tall Nerd said:
teh_Canape said:
well truth be told
Django is a better unconventional name than fucking Dovahkiin
eh... its not really unconventional
its from another culture
or perceved that way.....

you may wanna word that better, that can easily be read as racism.
well, english isn't my main language so words tend to fuck around with me =P
but whether or not it's from another culture, I meant that from the contest thingie that Bethesda ran when TES5 was released, and consisted on people naming their kids Dovahkiin

that's about it, no other meaning intended

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
RJ Dalton said:

While we're shooing off the not that good villains, can you get rid of Loki, too? Honestly, your stubborn refusal to acknowledge the faults of the Avengers is getting a bit annoying. Loki should have been fuckloads more interesting than he was in either Thor or The Avengers. He's a fucking trickster archetype! In the original mythology, he ended up as the mother of Odin's horse because of one of his pranks going in very much the wrong direction. These are the archetypes who are meant to break all the rules, ignore all the mores and do insanely ridiculous things as a part of schemes that are either hilarious, or mind-blowing, if not both. So why is he reduced to an angsty little ***** who whines and mopes more than he does anything else and shows no interesting or unique powers at all? Even worse, in The Avengers he is reduced to nothing more than a one-note pawn who shows no cleverness whatsoever.
I've not read too many of the comics, but even in the ones I *have* read, Loki was far more interesting than he was in either of the two movies. Hell, if he'd been interesting at all, he'd have been moreso than in the movies.

It's kind of appropriate that the recaptcha I have to enter for this rant is "wisdom teeth" because seeing what they did to him in those movies felt like I was having them pulled.
Loki was always FUN in myths since he was such a troll and usually pointed out that he was doing stuff the gods did anyway. But of course it wasn't cool for him to do it since he wasn't of the same race as Odin and his lot. God the Norse gods were pricks

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
RJ Dalton said:

Loki's a lot more clever in that movie than you give him credit.

Think of it this way, Loki wanted to get captured and taken back to Asgard. What's in Asgard? The Infinity Gauntlet. Who wants that? Thanos.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
brazuca said:
You did not answer one question is this a Blaxploitation or more of a spaghetti western? Well this film had my attention, now it has my curiosity indeed.
Both. And neither.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Release date 17th of January 2013. Guess that's another month of waiting in a world where information can travel at the near speed of light.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
God damn it, this makes waiting for this to be released in the UK even worse. I've been looking forward to this film for ages and this great review makes the wait harder.

Can't fucking wait. Thanks in advance Tarantino.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
You had me at Tarantino.

I've never seen a movie this guy made that I didn't like. He just always manages to wow people with every new movie. I'm sure that when I see this I will think no differently.

kanyewhite

Sep 2, 2012
I just saw it, meh. The overuse of the n word was just bad. I understand it was depicting a time where "African-American", didn't exist, but they did have other terms for slaves (negro would be a prime example. Somebody needs to put Tarentino on a leash. This one felt schizophrenic. FIrst hour good, went downhill, end kinda redeemed itself. Leo was good though.Also, some dumb kid talked through the whole movie, and he was analyzing it too, badly.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Did everyone have a bad 2012? I've heard at least a dozen people say 2012 wasn't a good year and that 2013 will be better.

What exactly made 2012 bad?

Jan 12, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
I got spurs that djingo, django, djingo
as I go killin' merrily along,
And they sing, 'Oh aint you glad you're a free man
And that slavery ain't so very far from wrong
I love you, both for the song and for the perfect pun. I was going to make a joke about "Big Iron", but instead I'm just gonna sit in awe.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I can't wait to see this movie. I do find it peculiar that if a movie takes place during the times of Slavery in America, it by extension must be about said subject. I'm not harping on the movie or Movie Bob, it is what is, but it's not like that was the only thing happening from the "discovery of the new world" to 1865.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
RJ Dalton said:

He is not the silly kind of trickster in the comics (the source material of the movie, not the original mythology). Tricksters and jokesters are only one half of the trickster archetype. Even in the comics he is a cunning, lying, brutal, thieving and driven type of trickster. Tricksters are not always about jokes, in this case of the movie and the comics he is a dark manipulator working towards his own ends, which are never made clear to the onlooker.

Edit: I also find it interesting how divisive the Avengers movie is. It's like when people were polling about what was better, DKR or Avengers. They are not comparable. To sit there and call it poorly written, poorly paced, or poorly acted would not be true at all. But it seems to me that people go out of their way to dislike that movie.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Aww, poor Bane...

Also, goddamn it I want to watch this movie now! Too bad I've still got to go see The Hobbit.