Escape to the Movies: Django Unchained

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
problem is Bane is DEFINITELY better than Red Skull or Loki. I could almost see three of the actors getting Acting noms for Oscars. Waltz maybe even though Schultz is best described as "Landa but as a hero", DiCaprio for playing this incredibly disgusting fraud gentleman, and Jackson for going SEVERELY against the typecasting he's had for nearly twenty years.

Okay, one thing I thought was interesting about this was that there was a big role reversal once Schultz and Django got to the plantation. For the first act of the movie Schultz is playing the professional, smart, experienced teacher as he's teaching Django the ropes of bounty hunting and gun fighting, teaching him how to read, and reminding him to be ruthless despite the ugliness of the job. However, once Schultz sees the trackers sicking dogs on a slave suddenly HE'S the one out of his league. This makes historical sense because in a lot of Europe slavery had been abolished for DECADES so Schultz had NO idea just how brutal it could get. He probably HEARD about it, but witnessing it was an eye opener. You can see him just about ready to lose his lunch at seeing that poor man get ripped to pieces by the dogs while Django has probably seen that before and is able to keep a straight face easier.

Another fascinating dynamic I found was between Candie and Stephen. Candie fancies himself some sort of gentleman and sophisticate, demanding he be referred to as "Monsieur" and keeping an air of civility. However, he's a complete fraud and an idiot. He doesn't know a lick of French, obviously gets off on the brutality of the Mandingo fights, had no clue Alexander Dumas was black, and was nearly swindled by Django and Schultz had it not been for his BLACK servant. Seriously, Stephen is obviously smarter, more cunning, and I doubt Candie could get his pants on without the man. Heck, Stephen even seems to be with Candie by CHOICE as at the end he's obviously not a crippled, stupid, stumble bum. It's just something I found FASCINATING about the two of them.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
This movie sounds...off the chain [http://mirrors.rit.edu/instantCSI/].

Seriously looking forward to this.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Aiddon said:
problem is Bane is DEFINITELY better than Red Skull or Loki.
Better than movie Red Skull for sure. And better than Da Silva in Skyfall (he was fine, but so many reviewers went on like he was the best Bond villain ever, and he's so very, very not). But not better than Loki. No way, no how.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
as much as Bob loved it, and as much as im sure all of my friends will tell me this is the best Tarantino movie yet... i still just cant get into this dudes movies. ive never seen a Tarantino movie ive liked (the only ones i have not seen are Jackie Brown, and Reservoir Dogs) i think he is a great writer ( i love his dialog) but i cant stand his directing style... idk, maybe i will rent it on Netflix when it is out (ps yes i know this is the unpopular opinion just throwing out the "not a fan" side of things)

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
What was wrong with 2012?

-Cloud Atlas (!)
-The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
-Django Unchained
-The Avengers
-The Walking Dead (the adventure game)
-Mass Effect 3
-XCOM: Enemy Unknown
-Assassin's Creed 3
-Far Cry 3

So, yeah... I guess if you're a reviewer in the industry and you have to watch a new movie/play a new game every week, of course 2012 won't have seemed too interesting. But for us consumers the year has been just fine.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Saw this movie last night, HOLY SHIT is this thing awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing it 5 more times, I can't even get over how great the movie is

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Furioso said:
Saw this movie last night, HOLY SHIT is this thing awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing it 5 more times, I can't even get over how great the movie is
Go see Cloud Atlas - you'll have exactly the same sensation.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
The bag-mask scene alone is worth the price of admission. This movie was great. For me, it balanced action, story, gore, comedy, and style perfectly all while turning out fantastic acting from the stars. I still feel Reservoir Dogs is my favorite Tarantino movie, this is the high mark of his career so far.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Interesting how every single white reviewer I've seen loves this movie (Jeremy Jahns, MovieBob, etc.) while a lot of black reviewers despise it (the guys over at Spill.com, for instance).

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
I have no real love for Tarantino. It is not because he takes pieces of obscure foreign movies and makes his own mashups of them (Which is one those tired pop culture arguments you either missed or did not think of). Even Spielberg and Lucas did that, (Hidden Fortress is Star Wars in plot and storybeats). I dislike him for getting praise for really doing nothing. His most famous movie, Pulp Fiction, is a simplistic movie with the "innovative" conceit of showing the story out of order. If that movie was shown the way the narrative demanded, he would not have that hip and trendy label attached to him.

Jetsetneo

Apr 2, 2010
The only real gripe i had about this movie? Too long. Especially concerning the 'end' that Bob apparently loved. The epic shoot out (and it was!) was already dragging the movie long, then, for no real reason they decide to give you another ending that is *not* as epic as the shoot out that just happened. So, contrary to what Bob says, I don't feel this movie 'topped' itself after that shoot out.

All that said, this movie is great. Almost every character is GREAT and fairly memorable. The action is fun, and it does have some teeth to the issues it brings up. I'd avoid only if you aren't a fan of Tarantino and/or aren't a fan of the old ultraviolence.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
josh4president said:
Interesting how every single white reviewer I've seen loves this movie (Jeremy Jahns, MovieBob, etc.) while a lot of black reviewers despise it (the guys over at Spill.com, for instance).
Interesting how this observation adds nothing to the discussion.

odBilal

Feb 7, 2009
OMG! Sounds awesome, I love Tarantino
*checks movie theater website*
17.1.2013!!! I dont want to wait that long :(