Escape to the Movies: Dracula Untold - AB Negative

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Dracula Untold - AB Negative

Dracula Untold is a bad movie that could almost have gotten away with it.

Watch Video

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I got a Maleficent vibe off of that footage, so I guess I'll just watch that again when I get the chance (I'm not sure if it's on DVD yet).

Also, that insult coyly cut from the video, nice. But seeing as you (seemed to) like The Conjuring and I was kinda indifferent towards it my opinion may be much different.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Yeah when I saw that this was rated PG-13 I lost pretty much all interest.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
I don't see how PG-13 is inexplicable; it allows more access and revenue rather than R-rated films most teenagers (probably the target demographic) could get into.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
You can always tell how, lets say 'un-memorable', a movie is if Bob uses trailer bits to pad out the run time. I'd do it too.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
So, it's good but not great.
gphjr14 said:
Yeah when I saw that this was rated PG-13 I lost pretty much all interest.
How so? PG-13 movies have been some of the more violent and/or actiony movies in recent times. So there is no vilgar language and sex, meh I can do without those.

Deimir

Jul 3, 2008
"Bat-man Begins" is probably the funniest thing I've heard all day. Suppose I should get out of bed and grab breakfast now.

Am I the only one who thinks the Female Ghostbusters logo actually looks anti-female, what with the slash in the circle and everything? Could just be me being weird.

Chaos999

Jun 7, 2010
Usually our tastes in movies are similar,but we have to part ways on this one. I really liked this movie. Probably because I am not that much into horror Dracula but more into action Dracula like Castlevania.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
So depending on taste and how far outside your taste you go, it's a 4-6 out of 10.

Note: I go here with 5 being "worth the money".

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
How many years ago would this have needed to be released to be considered innovative or impressive visually?

Also, do you think the director's cut, or non-rated version that will be released once this is out of theaters has a chance to be significantly better?

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
I think this movie could have had the chops if a minor but very important change was made. See, what bothers me is this:Vlad the Impaler was already a vicious, blood-thirsty killer; this aspect of the historical figure was not explored and expanded.

In the movie they made Vlad into a monster because he turned into a vampire. It would have been infinitely more interesting to see him turn into a vampire because he already was a monster to begin with. That he tried to save his land is an irrelevant setting, the character-driven narrative of my scenario is more interesting to me.

After all, one does not need to be a "monster" to be a monster.

jimthepocket

Jan 10, 2013
Chaos999 said:
Usually our tastes in movies are similar,but we have to part ways on this one. I really liked this movie. Probably because I am not that much into horror Dracula but more into action Dracula like Castlevania.
I agree. It was nice to see a vampire actually kicking ass for once on the big screen.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Did anyone else sit through the credits wondering if there was some kind of stinger in the extra seconds, only to see a whole bunch of black space?

Anyway, yeah, this sounds a bit of a nothing. But I'm interested in the amount of love being given generally to the premise of Tomorrowland, which sounds like Disney masturbation of the highest order to me - only Brad Bird's presence makes me willing to even consider that this might be watchable.

That last caption at the end of Meet The Robinsons had me and my family retching into our popcorn buckets, and this sounds like a whole movie's worth.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Anyone else get a sort of Dynasty Warriors vibe off that scene at the beginning of the vid where Vlad was killing off hordes of mooks?

Anyone else now want to see a "Universal Studios Monsters/Dynasty Warriors" game now become a thing?

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
GamemasterAnthony said:
Anyone else get a sort of Dynasty Warriors vibe off that scene at the beginning of the vid where Vlad was killing off hordes of mooks?

Anyone else now want to see a "Universal Studios Monsters/Dynasty Warriors" game now become a thing?
upon seeing the opening bit those were my thoughts exactly

Drake Barrow

Jan 10, 2010
GamemasterAnthony said:

As a Dynasty Warriors fan, I'd be major-league down for that. It could be really spectacular. Of course, I really liked the film Van Helsing as well, so my opinion is perhaps not the best one to go with...

OT: Looks like it'd be worth the $3.50 at the local cheap theater. I'm not big on vampires, but this film could have some fun to it.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I hate this kind of movie most of all: the competent, but completely forgettable movie. I'd much rather watch a movie that tried and failed to be something big than something that tried to be bland and inoffensive and succeeded.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
You know, if they had just told the story of the REAL Vlad The Impaler it could have been a much more interesting movie, I don't understand this need to change history to be LESS interesting that it really was for cinemas.

vid87

May 17, 2010
The ticking clock contrivance and sympathetic characterization of the guy we already know will become supremely evil kills the premise for me, which is a shame because I didn't completely hate the idea when I first heard it and I don't even mind a PG-13 since hyper violence and gore doesn't really do it for me anyway.