Escape to the Movies: Drive

metal eslaved

Sep 9, 2010
Finally metal eslaved has come to this comment section and metal eslaved came to say: I want that game.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
They put Nightcall by Kavinsky in the opening credits....that alone sold me on the style of this movie.

Sheamus

Mar 28, 2009
I haven't payed much attention to this film as I wasn't expecting much, but for the most part I tend to like the movies Bob recommends. So I guess I'll give this a shot.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Carey Mulligan? Christina Hendricks? Ron Perlman?

Sign me up. Transporter-But-Better sounds like a fun movie but me.

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
No good movies came out this week huh? I guess there was that one movie "Courageous", which had a rather solid script with above average cinematography and acting. However, its a Christian movie. Hence, that makes it bad. *facepalm*

OldKingClancy

Jun 2, 2011
I saw this film just a few hours earlier, easily the best of the year. Everything about it was great and the soundtrack was the best I've heard since Trainspotting.

sravankb said:
I saw this movie, and it was ridiculously slow. There are entire scenes where the characters just stare at each other for 10-15 seconds with nothing happening. 10-15 may not sound like a lot, but when the actors just face other with no changing expressions or any meaningful dialogue that could warrant that long a pause, those few seconds feel like ages.

If the director was trying to be subtle about his "art", he should realize that beating his audience's heads over with "subtlety" defeats the purpose.

On a side note - Valhalla Rising was crap. Drive was tolerable, but "Rising" is the very definition of a slow movie.
Go back 2 transformers n00b. I kid, you're entitled to your opinion, we just differ here; I thought the moments of silence were pretty good as it added more to the relationship between driver and Irene with just a look between them both.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
well, 50/50 came out this week, but dramas and comedies seem to be hard for Bob to review since he can't really talk about them without doing some really big spoilers.

Anyway, I've been disappointed in Statham's post-Guy Richie career since all he ever seems to do are middling movies that emulate bad 80s movies too much. Still, Drive sounds like an interesting prospect. Makes me think of Collateral by Michael Mann

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Clonekiller said:
No good movies came out this week huh? I guess there was that one movie "Courageous", which had a rather solid script with above average cinematography and acting. However, its a Christian movie. Hence, that makes it bad. *facepalm*
Not everyone shares your beliefs and not everyone wants to have said beliefs preached at them for 90 minutes.

EDIT= Definately gonna try and hunt down Drive, Perlman is always a hoot and Transporter: Noir sounds like my idea of fun, shame I didnt hear about it before now.

RagnaThePig

Oct 27, 2010
It's really really hard to make (let alone export) a crossover video game when all the licenses used belong to several different companies.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
I knew Bob would review this, if solely due to sheer lack of anything else worth mentioning coming out. Saw it last week, it's sick good. A great tribute to Michael Mann's eighties films and the films of Jean-Pierre Melville.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
You gotta wait through the credits, Friv. Bob posts a couple of extra comments during the comments, usually about upcoming movies or something geek related. In this case...Bob commented on why a Smash Brothers-esque Gamecube game featuring Bomberman, Master Higgins, and Optimus Prime as combatents wasn't imported to the states.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Seems decent enough. Far smoother action and seemingly less bothersome gritty social realism than "Pusher" had.