Escape to the Movies: Drive

elcamino41383

Mar 24, 2009
You say it shouldn't be missed, I'm wishing I DID miss it. I was bored out of my skull aside from the maybe 5 minutes of actual action in the movie. This movie was damn dull! To each his own though...

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Christina Hendricks not having her 'assets' as the sole emphasis of her performance? Gruesome violence? Ron Perlman? I know what I'm watching this weekend!

Also, it is a travesty that I fighting game with Bomberman and Optimus Prime didn't make it here, I'm ashamed there seemingly wasn't a demand for this in America.

the saint83

Jun 24, 2010
My first thought when comparing this movie to others were taxi driver. The way it's filming the city, how it's protagonist is silent and feels sociopathic and/or retarded. The way Refn uses lighting and more, but I've won't spoil anything. Did'nt see the transporter connection at all. Anyway one of the best movies to come out this year so far, I've couldn't find a single flaw in this movie.

Saarai-fan

Nov 12, 2009
Sounds like a great film. Might just go and see it.

Anyways, looking forward to the Big Picture this October. Must be really interesting if you're promoting it a lot for that month. Seeing as it will be in october, I'm guessing it will be about Horror films, or Halloween subjects, the paranormal, or just small subjects that involve certain things that are often associated with Halloween. But then again, I could be wrong. :)

Monty McDougal

Mar 15, 2011
I like the idea of Driver being a "high functioning autistic" fellow. It is a good angle to look at someone who is violent and good at it.

DeGoon

Mar 28, 2008
That game at the end was "TV Superstars Megamix". I had it on the Gamecube way back when. There was a Hulk Hogan look-a-like in a bow-tie and a generic female lead with a duck shaped microphone as the host and hostest. Some of the other characters was a Japanese Barbie called "Licca" or something, Sold Snake (with a tux alternate costume) and Megatron. One of those stages they had was a yellow Devastator taking up the whole background.
I think the main reason it was never brought over most of the characters are licensed to different companies and quite possibly a headache to merge them for a sup-par fighting mechanic (three of those companies were Takara, Konami, and Hudson Soft). But still would have been great for a quick cash in.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Huh. Well, this just went in my "rent and check out" column of films. Thanks for the ehad sup on this one.

Caligulust

Apr 3, 2010
For the mention of Jacket, I enjoyed this episode a little bit more. Now to listen to the EP again.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Hey! The movie was reviewed! Good news all around.

I was stuck out in a hail/severe thunder/possible tornado-type storm last night and dropped by the local movie theatre for shelter. I had a choice between Drive, MoneyBall, and that kid's one about the dolphin. Drive was chosen because it was starting right then and gave me enough time to get to where I was going after it was over.

The cashier told me it was a good bank heist movie.

It was a good movie. I loved the slow scenes where everything was carefully building, and was shocked at that one scene with the chick in the bathroom (and, well, no need to spoil anything). I shouldn't have been surprised at the overly gruesome violence, as it was in the warnings associated with its description at the door, but it still jumped out at me in its random moments. One thing I loved the most was the expression of the main character as he slowly came about saying his lines. I couldn't tell if he was really thinking out something, or he was generally slow, but when he did say something it was powerful. Even when he repeated lines, they came out well.

I love the scorpion jacket and all it is worth.

When it was done, the rain had abated and I went on my merry way.

Captcha: Dalgarno Waprim

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Hm... i might have to see this movie now then. I've been a bit curious about wether it would be worth it or not even though i've been hearing very vague statements that it's supposed to be good. Nice to see some ground under it.

Also... Will you be doing Johnny English Reborn at any point? I was surprised to have been to see a movie here in Norway that hasn't been covered at Escape to the Movies yet.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Just some points.

1: Statham's character wasn't emotionless as he developed attachments to characters in EVERY transporter movie and from your description neither is Gosling's character.

2: This movie pushes the romance more than the Transporter which of course makes sense as why Gosling got the role since people fawn over him as if he's the second coming and he's put into a ton of romantically fueled scripts.

3: Sure the snap adjustment from second act to third act was an unexpected swift transition but thats what it was aimed to be to change the slightly dark but still things going ok romantic drama into a bit more of an action oriented flick. It's a technique thats done to death but you make it sound as if it's hardly done at all.

4: None of these things explain in any way how one of these movies is better than the other.

5: Also the long awkward pauses made it seem as if they edited out the parts where the actors kept asking for their lines.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
Jennacide said:
Now I'm actually sorta interested in this. Having seen the ads, I instantly though "oh boy, another Transporter movie," except that I'm tired of them since the sequels to that movie weren't very good. Anything that let's Ron Perlman do his thing is good in my book, and I got a kick out of the comment about Hendricks, because she really is a good actress that is only remembered for her breasts. =(
The Grim Ace said:
Christina Hendricks not having her 'assets' as the sole emphasis of her performance? Gruesome violence? Ron Perlman? I know what I'm watching this weekend!

Also, it is a travesty that I fighting game with Bomberman and Optimus Prime didn't make it here, I'm ashamed there seemingly wasn't a demand for this in America.
Don't get too excited about Hendricks; She's there for <10 minutes and her dialogue could probably fit on a big post-it.

The movie's still awesome though.
But she plays an important emotional character, a professional who gets scared. It's a good contrast to every other hitman or criminal in the movie.

The ending of her arc is quite shocking. But it reminded me of
GTA Awesome: "come from nowhere with a shotgun and blow THE FUCK OUT OF YOU!" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1nsBwLqLTE#t=1m46s]

NKnight

Jul 31, 2010
OH-MY-GOD. I've seen your Idea of fun on the "The Game AntiThinker" series a while ago. Personally that's something I'd like to forget. Please, tell me that's not the sort of thing you're planning for October on The Big Picture. Seriously, Bob, you're awesome... but not as an actor. -_-

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Been pretty eager to see this for a few weeks. Can't wait. It has so many of my favourite actors. I love Bryan Cranston and Al Brooks.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Another Spot on review Bob, more than a few reviews the past couple months have fallen into the 10% I disagree with pile.

Just saw Drive on Thursday night, perfect time to watch it by the way, and even I was surpirsed. I saw a brief flash one on of the vids that said it was good so I checked it out. I was going in expecting something similar to "The Transporter" but really they couldnt be more far apart, in a good way.

On one hand the "Transporter" movies are more designed to be balls out action with plenty of imaginative, brutal fight scenes and car stunts to wet any adrenaline junkies appetite. While "Driver" is a taught crime drama with sprinklings of high action throughout and a highly impact-full ending.'

I thought Ryan Gosling put in a very solid performance. Is it just me but did making him very silent actually help him? Without alot of dialogue emotions are expressed through his tone and body language, and he does it so well without the need for alot of dull convo. Maybe it was the direction but still.

Speaking of the ending, I wont spoil it, but I liked how it was very ambiguous. Alot of movies try to set up for a sequel in hopes that audiences like it. However the way this is done it could go either way, if they want to do a sequel they can, but if not it still has a definite end. It reminded me the ending to teh anime series "Cowboy Bebop", if youd seen it you would know.