Escape to the Movies: Edge of Tomorrow - Tom Cruise Is Cool Again

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Edge of Tomorrow - Tom Cruise Is Cool Again

Tom Cruise dies a lot in this film, but surprisingly, it's in a good, character driven way.

Watch Video

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Glad to hear it's better than his last sci-fi crapper that was Oblivion. That movie actually cloned the SOB and made him play multiple hims. Yuck!

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well I didn't expect that from the posters which kinda looked like Elysium but meh. Colour me interested now, I might go see it after I finally get to see Maleficent.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Not gonna lie, I'm pleasantly surprised at how well-received the movie has turned out to be. Not just by Bob but by other critics as well. Here's hoping that this gives other Hollywood filmmakers the idea to check out more Light Novels for inspiration, provided they're good of course.

I myself wouldn't mind a movie based on Fate/Zero or Boogiepop Phantom. Just saying, Hollywood.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I gotta say that I'm really suprised at how mch the critics liked this one. 89% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes? Not bad!

But could anyone tell me what the question he answered next to the Fault In Our Stars poster was? "It's a foregone conclusion, that's why." That's why what?

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Was on the fence about this one, good to hear that it's good. I took next week off so I might check it out.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
My one qualm with this movie was Tom Cruise, but now it seems like it still might be pretty good. So I'll check it out. I thought that Jake Gyllenhaal would have been better... but I realized it's because I really liked him in that other movie... Source Code maybe? And he actually was up for the part and turned it down because of how similar it was to that movie. Weird. But, I'm interested.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I watch this, godzilla, maleficient and the new x-men all in one weekend last week. Godzilla was the only disappointment of them all while Edge of tomorrow and maleficient stand at the top of my list.

X-men wasn't bad either, but I wish they did magneto better, the first one when he said "all my life was under the mercy of soldiers following orders, never again" as he turns the missiles back was absolute genius!

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
So another words - and I'm pretty sure I'm not the first one to make this observation and won't be the last, probably the billionth one - Groundhogs Day crossed with Elysium.

:p

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow, even Bob liked it (well ok I've read it has been getting good reviews). I still somewhat not keen to watched it per say even to his role in Oblivion or are people who did watched that are forgetting about it in favour of Edge of Tomorrow?

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Hey Marvel you know that Captain Marvel movie you've been seriously talking about recently? Well I think I may have found your lead.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
Tom Cruise stars as the little blue alien from Cartoon Network fillers! Now that's a premise!

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Tom Cruise hasn't been popular since the 'couch' incident? (looks at the box office for Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - $700 million in 2011) yeah he's still popular.

Just looked through Wikipedia, of the 16 films Cruise has done since 2000 (excluding edge of tomorrow) only 2 weren't profitable.

That's better than many popular actors can say.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Deathfish15 said:
Glad to hear it's better than his last sci-fi crapper that was Oblivion. That movie actually cloned the SOB and made him play multiple hims. Yuck!
So all the new Tom Cruise vehicles revolve around him having multiple lives in one way or another?

Still, I'm kinda surprised Bob gave this the "it was pretty good". Most critics have a tough time reviewing middle of the road movies, or anything that doesn't completely suck or totally rock. Bob usually does a good job at finding something related to the movie to dish on though, and thankfully we had the "Tom Cruise is a space pope" angle to keep this thing interesting.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
youji itami said:
Tom Cruise hasn't been popular since the 'couch' incident? (looks at the box office for Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - $700 million in 2011) yeah he's still popular.
As Bob said, 'popular' and 'box-office draw' aren't quite the same thing. People go to watch Cruise in movies, but they still think he's a dick.

Although he was great in Tropic Thunder.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Flatfrog said:
youji itami said:
As Bob said, 'popular' and 'box-office draw' aren't quite the same thing. People go to watch Cruise in movies, but they still think he's a dick.

Although he was great in Tropic Thunder.
I since edited my post with (Just looked through Wikipedia, of the 16 films Cruise has done since 2000 (excluding edge of tomorrow) only 2 weren't profitable. That's better than many popular actors can say.)

Tom Cruise is mostly the leading man in his films why would people who dislike him go to see films were he is the lead?

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Queen Michael said:
I gotta say that I'm really suprised at how mch the critics liked this one. 89% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes? Not bad!

But could anyone tell me what the question he answered next to the Fault In Our Stars poster was? "It's a foregone conclusion, that's why." That's why what?
Yeah, what does that mean exactly, the "foregone conclusion" bit?

OT: Well, I might try and see this either this weekend or the next one if I can get the chance to head out. Really surprised how much the critics and people seem to like this movie.

Jan 12, 2012
dalek sec said:
Queen Michael said:
Yeah, what does that mean exactly, the "foregone conclusion" bit?
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."
-Cassius
Julius Caesar (I, ii, 140-141)

The title of the book/movie is a Shakespeare quote about the inevitablity that all men must bow to fate. The book/movie is about some kids who have cancer. You can see where this is going.

OT: Is there a reason for Emily Blunt using a JRPG sword to fight aliens? I guess it lets you make the most of the suit's strength, but those big rocket tubes look a lot safer.

Chris Ingersoll

Jun 21, 2013
Nomanslander said:
So another words - and I'm pretty sure I'm not the first one to make this observation and won't be the last, probably the billionth one - Groundhogs Day crossed with Elysium.

:p
Was actually amazed the words "Groundhog Day" were never once mentioned by Bob here. That's all I can think about when I see trailers for this.