Escape to the Movies: Edge of Tomorrow - Tom Cruise Is Cool Again

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Cpt. Slow said:
RedDeadFred said:
Yes, I too enjoyed the scene in Groundhog Day where Bill Burray battled a bunch of alien monsters in a robotic suit.
Yes, I enjoyed the moment where Bill Murray who comes off as a careless, idiotic dislikeable jerk who gets a chance to do things right but it takes A LOT of going back into time for him, to become actually sort of likeable.

Wait, that does sound a lot like what Bob described about Edge of Tomorrow. That's weird.
Haha, forgot about that.

You win.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I've reached the point now where I'll pretty much cheer on any movie that isn't a remake, reboot, sequel, prequel, or adaptation of something really popular just for that reason, so I'm really glad to hear that this is actually good.

Ishigami said:
Uhmmm isn't this basically Groundhog Day?
Isn't Groundhog Day basically just 12:01 PM?

The concept of time loops has been done quite a few times, however each variation puts a different spin on it.

Snooder

May 12, 2008
I really will never understand why hollywood feels the need to change things in a book-movie conversion that don't affect pacing.

I'm sure the movie will be good, but I was a huge fan of the book and from the reviews and stuff said in the comments here, it looks like a lot of the things that really sold me on it will be missing.

Most specifically, the idea of the main character being a willing volunteer who basically joins the army because he's a young idiot who thinks it'll help him get laid and give some meaning to his life. If he's actually a middle aged coward who is trying to avoid fighting to stop the end of the world, that's a completely different dynamic.

Also, in the book the MC ends up having to kill Rita because if he doesn't then the cycle will keep going, forever and the aliens might eventually win. Which is sad, and works better for the overall tone of the book. In the book, the alien invaders are autonomous terraforming robots, and it's implied that by the time of the book they've already done enough damage to the earth's ecosystem that winning isn't really an option any more.

Grimrider6

Aug 27, 2008
Tom Cruise is still a member of the dangerous and criminal cult of Scientology. He will never be cool.

The movie may be good or bad on its own merits, and Cruise's skill as an actor I make no comment on. He's a successful Hollywood type for a reason, I'm sure. But his financial support to an organization that repeatedly violates the law, ethics, common decency, and human rights means he'll never get a cent from me.

Grimrider6

Aug 27, 2008
TheOneGuyInNebraska said:
Is that really the only reason people seem to hate Tom Cruise so much, because of fuckin' Scientology, really?

Hell, i'm Catholic and I can admit Christianity has been responsible for some horrifying things throughout history, probably worse then whatever ever Scientology has done. Almost every damn religion out there is responsible for something bad, do you really hate all of the members though, even the ones that donate to it for the actions of others involved in the same religion?
I think the point here is that Scientology not only HAS done a lot of horrible things, they CONTINUE to do many of those horrible things RIGHT NOW, without apology or remorse. Seriously, I don't want to get Off Topic and get banned or hijack this thread, but a cursory bit of research on Cruise's favorite cult will turn up some really hair-raising stuff. Even one cent going towards that stuff is bad news.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Does the movie still have the bad ending from the book? Because I kind of hate the ending from the book, though, apparently it's for utterly different reasons than most people (which I was surprised about).

Seldon2639

Feb 21, 2008
Okay, let's do the first thing first:

Yes, many works of fiction actually share similarities with other movies. Entire set-pieces, and story frameworks, are shared between not just different movies, but movies, books, television, videogames, comic books, everything. Cleverness isn't in saying "hurr, isn't this kind of the same idea as this other movie" (especially since every genre movie could be boiled down to some archetype), but rather in recognizing what the work adds to previous works and ideas. It's one of the reasons copyright exists the way it does: you can't own an idea (like a guy trapped in a time loop), but you can own your particular representation of that idea, particularly if it's that idea plus a boatload of other ideas.

Are we really to say that Aeschylus was less a great playwright because he wasn't working with entirely original source material?

Darxide

Dec 14, 2009
So it's Groundhog Day in mech suits against space aliens. Ok, I can support that.

fieryshadowcard

May 18, 2011
Ishigami said:
Uhmmm isn't this basically Groundhog Day?
As Cinema Snob described it, he wouldn't fault you for thinking of it as Groundhog Day, but it would be better thought of as playing a really difficult level over and over in a video game, which inadvertently makes this a more successful video game movie than most actual movie adaptations of video games. To quote him, "I would play the shit out of [this]!"

VoltySquirrel

Feb 5, 2009
Hoxton said:
Did they even pay for the rights to the "All you need is kill" author or just outright stole everything?
They namechecked the book in the credits, so yeah, it's an actual adaptation.

captain_dalan

Feb 1, 2011
RvLeshrac said:
Tom Cruise gives millions each year to an organisation known primarily for murdering people and allowing unchecked sexual assaults. But yeah, I guess he's "cool."
Is that really the only reason people seem to hate Tom Cruise so much, because of fuckin' Scientology, really?

Hell, i'm Catholic and I can admit Christianity has been responsible for some horrifying things throughout history, probably worse then whatever ever Scientology has done. Almost every damn religion out there is responsible for something bad, do you really hate all of the members though, even the ones that donate to it for the actions of others involved in the same religion?
Amen to that. I am sometimes downright puzzled but the (in)ability of critics to judge a work of art (movie/music you name it) based solely on its merits and not on the morality of it authors/creators. In Tom's case it's scientology apparently, but truly, it doesn't matter what it is. When people (read critics) in Hollywood decide they are going to hate you, they will. Just take a look at each year's Academy Award's life time achievement award and you'll see plenty of actors/directors/editors/.... that were never honored in their life times for their work, despite being the best of their craft. To put it in other words, what Hollywood today is trying to sell me, is that Wagner sucks, because he may have been a natzy or influenced them. Well that maybe true, but how does that make his music any better or worse??? Oh well......

As for the movie itself, i keep finding Elysium thrown in. How does that cut in? Ground Hog's day i can see, but Elysium? Is it the esthetics? If so, come on people, every movie in the 80's looked alike in that department, so did in the 90's.... 2000's.... Or is there some underlying theme here?

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
RvLeshrac said:
Tom Cruise gives millions each year to an organisation known primarily for murdering people and allowing unchecked sexual assaults. But yeah, I guess he's "cool."

Let me try to explain at least how I feel about Tom Cruise. I don't dislike the man because he is a Scientologist, but the views he expresses because of Scientology. I think it would be the same for anyone in Hollywood if they shared their views to be the same as Tom Cruise regardless of their religion people wouldn't have the same level of contempt for him if he hadn't publicly made those statements. For I don't see people labeling John Travolta the same was as Tom Cruise and they both have been Scientologists for a long time.

captain_dalan said:
Amen to that. I am sometimes downright puzzled but the (in)ability of critics to judge a work of art (movie/music you name it) based solely on its merits and not on the morality of it authors/creators. In Tom's case it's scientology apparently, but truly, it doesn't matter what it is. When people (read critics) in Hollywood decide they are going to hate you, they will. Just take a look at each year's Academy Award's life time achievement award and you'll see plenty of actors/directors/editors/.... that were never honored in their life times for their work, despite being the best of their craft. To put it in other words, what Hollywood today is trying to sell me, is that Wagner sucks, because he may have been a natzy or influenced them. Well that maybe true, but how does that make his music any better or worse??? Oh well......

As for the movie itself, i keep finding Elysium thrown in. How does that cut in? Ground Hog's day i can see, but Elysium? Is it the esthetics? If so, come on people, every movie in the 80's looked alike in that department, so did in the 90's.... 2000's.... Or is there some underlying theme here?
That is just how the internet works, look at video games and the dislike that some companies gets. I know people that have questions about any EA/Ubisoft/Bethesda game that gets released and will openly say any game from those companies is bad because of their track records and not judge it based on the individual game.

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
was planning to give this a chance tomorrow, due top the whole respawn aspect, but had some hesitation. I feel pretty much exactly as Bob describes, about Cruise. He used to be alright during the Top Gun era, lost interest in him during/after Mission impossible, and then he just became an oddball. I haven't liked on been interested in any movie of his for quite a while until this one.
Well thanks to this review my hesitation is gone and I can now feel safe that my AMC gift card won't be wasted.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
This isn't like Groundhog's Day, for those that keep making the comparison. Groundhog's Day was an exploration, with Bill Murray unsure of why he was stuck, and just sort of figuring out what to do. It's a sandbox. This is a ladder. Cruise knows why he keeps repeating, and he knows what he has to do. So each day, rather than "what can I get away with today?", becomes "how can I win this time?"

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Reminds me of another Halo movie concept, there must be quite a few of them around by now.

Is interesting to see what happens with them at least considering District 9 was the last major one that was originally meant to be a Halo movie.

Starship Troopers flamed out pretty quickly (the sequels are not up to much).

Mad Max 4 has a good vibe going to it, they took a 800 person crew over to South Africa/Nambia to film. It almost had one of Australia's most famous TV hosts as a bad guy. That would have been the best thing ever if it had happened. He once tried to turn himself inside out by apologising https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWKyDGGptA4&feature=kp

Keith Fraser

Mar 12, 2012
Tim Chuma said:
Reminds me of another Halo movie concept, there must be quite a few of them around by now.

Is interesting to see what happens with them at least considering District 9 was the last major one that was originally meant to be a Halo movie.
District 9 wasn't going to be a Halo movie; Peter Jackson gave the director a load of money to make his own project to say "Sorry" for the Halo movie not happening.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Never really had a problem with Tom Cruise's movies, though I found the man unlikeable after he went insane. Still, I am usually able to separate that from my watching experience. Looking forward to this one, esp to see Emily Blunt looking ripped (still think she'd make an awesome Wonder Woman, though Gina Carano looks the part just as well, if not better).

Jurassic World...isn't this the one where velociraptors "can use shotguns now?" What possible good can come of this?!?!