Escape to the Movies: Elysium

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Elysium

MovieBob takes us to the near future where the haves and the have nots are seperated by space.

Watch Video

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Skiped over most of the video so I didn't get spoiled on the plot, glad to hear that it's good so now I know to go see it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
We're never gonna get that Battle Angel Alita movie, are we? :'(

Malisteen

Mar 1, 2010
I don't know, I have a hard time buying social justice allegories from wealthy, white Hollywood, especially when the lead looks like the same generic white dudebro as in every other action movie, political message or no. Most of the 99% on the ground are brown, Bob tells me, but god forbid the middle class white american 20 to 30 something straight dude crowd, who as we all know are the only people who ever go to movies, should be expected to identify with someone who wasn't as pale as they are.

Casual Shinji said:
We're never gonna get that Battle Angel Alita movie, are we? :'(
God, I wish, right? But no, no we aren't.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
I didn't like District 9, I appreciate that it was a fantastic movie but I found it very unpleasant to watch. Hopefully this doesn't happen with Elysium but knowing the style and going from the trailers it will probably be as brutal and unpleasant as I found District 9 to be. Hopefully it'll have a happy ending at least.

Also nobody cares about Bobs terrible book, nobody wants to read about how the reveal of SMB3 compares to 9/11.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
If time is moving by too fast for you Bob, I recommend you come back to Texas. Each day here seems to drag on endlessly in the hot summer heat. In fact, It may still be July here. I'll have to check.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
I literally could not watch that review because I can't handle the Bawstin accent.

That being said, I have a feeling Bob raved about this like he did about Pacific Rim (which I thought was easily one of the worst movies I've ever had the misfortune to watch). Elysium, while it looks cool, seems more like a video game premise than an actual film one. I'll probably wait to see it when it comes to Redbox or something.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Funny. Bob's cheering this movie on while other reviews I've read are canning it. Time gave it 2+1/2 stars out of 5 and it only gets a 47% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Uh...is this another case where Bob's inner fanboy leaves him giddy and oblivious to problems? You may recall how he said the Captain America might be "the best movie ever". Bob has as much of a track record for going overboard liking certain directors or movies as he does for reflexively hating others (I never listen to Bob when he talks about JJ Abrahm's work, anymore).

Has anyone else seen this movie? If so I'd appreciate your opinion on it.

EDIT: The 47% at Rotten Tomatoes has changed to 67% as more reviewers weighed in their opinions.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
When the worst thing you can say about a movie is that there isn't enough movie, that's a good fucking movie right there.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Great review as always. It's good to hear this wasn't the disappointing follow up that I was afraid of.

But did you really have to put something at the start telling us to stick around until the end, just to do the same pitch for your book that you've been doing for the past several weeks? We fucking get it, you wrote a book and you want to promote it. Don't make it seem like a "special announcement" though. /my $0.02

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
I don't know. I found Pacific Rim to be bland and disappointing. Biggest problem: the second act is the climax of the movie. It makes the final act feel like a slog. That's just bad writing.

I really haven't been interested in this one... can't even be bothered to copy paste the name... because there's clever use of real world allegory and there's one-the-nose bullshit and this looks like it fits in the latter category. Even that aside, I don't find anything in the trailer to be exceptionally cool, like a giant robot smacking a giant monster with a ship. It just doesn't look appealing to me at all for some nebulous reason. I may go see it anyway because of what Bob said about character, but as it stands, the movie I got the most enjoyment from this summer was Lone Ranger. What can I say, the train scene at the end was energetic and fun. If the rest of the movie was like that, it would have been good.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Copper Zen said:
Funny. Bob's cheering this movie on while the other reviews I've read were canning it. Time gave it 2+1/2 stars out of 5 and it only gets a 47% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Uh...is this another case where Bob's inner fanboy leaves him giddy and oblivious to problems? You may recall how he said the Captain America might be "the best movie ever". Bob has as much of a track record for going overboard liking certain directors or movies as he does for reflexively hating others (I never listen to Bob when he talks about JJ Abrahm's work, anymore).

Sci-fi nerds have an uncanny bias about everything they hold dear, regardless of how unbiased they're supposed to be? You don't say!

I like hearing MovieBob's opinion of what's out right now, but I've seen enough times where he completely massacres films for problems in his own head that I don't consider him a reviewer who agrees with my opinions as much as I used to. And that's really what you want to find in a reviewer, someone whose opinions, priorities and biases match your own.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Copper Zen said:
Funny. Bob's cheering this movie on while other reviews I've read are canning it. Time gave it 2+1/2 stars out of 5 and it only gets a 47% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Read that last line as if you were questioning its existence :p

I'll check this out if I get time/money, need to watch a good sci-fi movie although I haven't seen Pacific Rim yet either

I'd love to be able to go to the book signing and get my Sonic the Hedgehog 20th Anniversary Limited Edition book signed

Count_A'ight

Dec 29, 2010
I just got back from seeing Elysium. The movie is really good. Based on his skill at design, Blomkamp should be at the top of the list if the studios are to make a Deus Ex flick. Hell the only thing Kruger was missing was Adam Jensen's cyber sunglasses. The social commentary is there, but at least to me, Blomkamp doesn't beat you over the head with it.

Speaking of, Kruger was a really good villain! He owned the screen in all of his scenes.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
When I first heard about this movie, I'd considered going to see it. However, the more I hear about it, the less I want to, because it sounds like it's going to be Avatar levels of heavy-handed, left-wing preaching about illegal immigration and ecenomic disparity among social classes. God forbid they take it with an even hand and, I dunno, handle both sides fairly with a message like "some say the economic system is unfair and keeps people from making their lives better in order to benefit the privileged few...but others think that you can get ahead and the fact that some don't succeed is just an unfortunate, but unavoidable fact of life and trying to homogenize prosperity is going to be about taking away what some have rightfully earned and giving it to those that haven't earned it."

It's sad that I think I can say without fear of disagreement that we're not likely to see a movie with that kind of message anytime soon. Instead we're going to keep seeing movies where the message is where the only people who are successful and rich are the dishonest and those born into privilege and that successful, wealthy people have no virtues because they're all selfish and cruel.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
So bob, support this indy film with it's embracing ideas or you're the scum of the earth? This sounds like an American film for Americans only. Don't you ever get sick of that bob?

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I think I'll be checking this movie out this weekend if I'm not working... or if I'm canned (long story short: stuck in a shitty job run by lobotomized chimps. That as detailed as its going to get).

Also, Bob, hearing you mention the arcade you'll be attending for the book signing makes me wish I lived somewhere more interesting. -_-