Escape to the Movies: Elysium

ShadowHand25

Jul 12, 2010
Bob's going to be in New Hampshire? The back-woods New England state that no one really cares about? The one I just so happen to live in? SWEET!

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
Mossberg Shotty said:
Toilet said:
I didn't like District 9, I appreciate that it was a fantastic movie but I found it very unpleasant to watch.
Red X said:
District 9 was good but it didn't sit right with me, maybe this'll be better.
I'm a bit confused here. If you consider something "good" that implies that you have the inclination to enjoy that something. I certainly thought it was a good movie, even though being difficult to watch was kinda the point. I think y'all are missing the forest for the trees, so to speak.
You can very easily see something as good, but find it difficult to enjoy. After all, I don't think people are watching a movie like Schindler's List because it's such an easy, fluffy, lighthearted movie to sit down and tune out to with the family on the couch with some popcorn and chips. Some elements of the movie may make the viewers uncomfortable about its content but still find the movie a good one.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
Steve the Pocket said:
You know -- and this is just based on the information presented in the review -- if "the one percent" can just up and move to a space colony removed from the rest of humanity where they never have to work again, and the result is that everything goes to hell down below... doesn't that kind of validate the ideas presented in, of all things, Atlas Shrugged? You know, where all the rich people pack up and move to Rapture Galt's Gulch and everyone else is like "Oh noes, the people who actually knew how to run things are all gone, whatever shall we do?" because apparently "the 99 percent" are all idiots who need to be led by the hand by their, ahem, intellectual superiors.

What I'm getting is that this is a really obnoxious viewpoint no matter whose "side" of the conflict you claim to be on.
I think that in Elysium (and here I'm basing myself on the review and trailers just like you), is not that Rich people leaving earth caused the world to go hell, is more like, when those people left, they took everything that made the world "work" with them. Or maybe the world was already fucked up enough before they did, and the problem really lies in rich people making this huge space colony where everything is better but leaving everyone else who can't afford it to deal with a broken planet Earth.

paronomasiac

Nov 15, 2010
I had the extreme displeasure of watching Elysium last night. I understand that immigration law, class disparity, and universal healthcare are all important issues to talk about, and a metaphor-by-movie is an excellent vehicle to inform the public on these discussions. Unfortunately, the metaphor only works if the movie functions. The plot of Elysium was so completely nonsensical that I actually walked out of the theater with at least thirty minutes of film remaining.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Honestly I didn't like District 9 and felt it was very overrated. This movie looks like another Avatar, ie a black and white morality play for infants wrapped up in flashy visuals and a scifi setting.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
I don't mind Bob downplaying how ham-fisted this movie clearly is as a negative point. I do mind the fact that he never even seems to fault the movie for it. I mind even more due to Bob criticizing other films for very similar levels of blatant metaphor.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
mad825 said:
So bob, support this indy film with it's embracing ideas or you're the scum of the earth?
Exactly where does Bob imply you're scum of the Earth for not supporting this movie?

You don't like it, fine. But quit makin' stuff up.

Some people...

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Copper Zen said:
Funny. Bob's cheering this movie on while other reviews I've read are canning it. Time gave it 2+1/2 stars out of 5 and it only gets a 47% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Uh...is this another case where Bob's inner fanboy leaves him giddy and oblivious to problems? You may recall how he said the Captain America might be "the best movie ever". Bob has as much of a track record for going overboard liking certain directors or movies as he does for reflexively hating others (I never listen to Bob when he talks about JJ Abrahm's work, anymore).

Has anyone else seen this movie? If so I'd appreciate your opinion on it.
Let's just put it this way: Time is written by, and generally appeals to, the class of people this movie talks down about. Consider that when you look at their score for the movie.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
I have never in my life walked out of a movie thinking "You, know.. that movie made me think of how badly 'x' is being treated by 'y' and how our government is 'z'". I never understood how people get their backs up by "ham fisted" force feeding of today's latest trending problems in a movie. I watch movies to be entertained. I don't care if the movie has ties to real world happenings. Never once did a movie make me question the way I think about things. Never once did I think "Oh, this director is a devout believer of somethingorother, I better not watch it because that means I subscribe to their views". Are people this weak willed that they think they'll be brainwashed by something topical in a sci-fi action movie?

Just boggles my mind..

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
axlryder said:
I don't mind Bob downplaying how ham-fisted this movie clearly is as a negative point. I do mind the fact that he never even seems to fault the movie for it. I mind even more due to Bob criticizing other films for very similar levels of blatant metaphor.
Maybe you missed the part of the review where Bob points-out how all of the Earthbound characters all seem to be Hispanic and mostly speak Spanish, followed by a very loud and sarcastic "Gee, I wonder what that's a metaphor of". He made little effort to hide the fact that the story basically slaps you in the face with its message, just that the rest of the movie is so awesome, it's forgivable. Compared to other movies that are boring, AND slap you in the face with heavy morality messages on top of that. It's like the case of an average student getting a C grade and no one cares, but when his brother who usually gets straight A's gets a C, his parents damn-near murder him for it. Not a perfect analogy, but you get the idea. Different standards for different movies. That and, you know, opinion.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
So, judging from the review, does that mean that this movie is another "great white savior" flick? And if so, does that mean this one is getting a pass for... I dunno. "Reasons?"

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
I struggle to watch more than a minute of these. Please leave the accent in Boston, it's unbearable.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
WhiteTigerShiro said:
axlryder said:
Maybe you missed the part of the review where Bob points-out how all of the Earthbound characters all seem to be Hispanic and mostly speak Spanish, followed by a very loud and sarcastic "Gee, I wonder what that's a metaphor of". He made little effort to hide the fact that the story basically slaps you in the face with its message, just that the rest of the movie is so awesome, it's forgivable. Compared to other movies that are boring, AND slap you in the face with heavy morality messages on top of that. It's like the case of an average student getting a C grade and no one cares, but when his brother who usually gets straight A's gets a C, his parents damn-near murder him for it. Not a perfect analogy, but you get the idea. Different standards for different movies. That and, you know, opinion.
Yes, he made a point to say that it was obvious, and then went right past it and gave the movie a glowing recommendation anyway. It did almost nothing to factor into his recommendation or seriously detract from his opinion of the film. He even made a point to say that his only major gripe was that it didn't spend enough time on certain things, and that the film "something to say" and had a "powerful thesis", and just seemed generally positive in tone towards the story and its message. It's almost like he's saying "yeah, it's ham-fisted, but it works here".

I don't expect cookie cutter standards, but I do expect consistency from a reviewer. I consider it basic professionalism, and I don't feel your analogy/explanation properly justifies his approach to the review. Just because the movie does a lot right doesn't mean you can just give it a pass on the things it does very wrong. He's gone on record saying that such heavy-handedness is insulting and belittling to the audience. I see what you're saying, and feel free to disagree, but the review smacks of unchecked bias to me.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Nothing on Planes? I wasn't expecting a full review of it, but I thought maybe it would at least get a post credits joke.

I have no interest in seeing Elysium (because I'm poor and have to pick and choose my movies very carefully, I've only gone to see 4 movies so far this year) but I do remember seeing the trailer for this and finding something interesting about it. Glad to know it was alright.

Also does anyone else find it incredibly odd that a lot of the things that people seem to just insult MovieBob over are the same thing that Yahtzee does, but no one seems to complain when he does it, in fact they often celebrate it. Whether it's plugging his book (and hey, the special announcement wasn't just a book plug, guys. It was to plug a special signing, since when is that not allowed?) calling a movie lowest common denominator, using that to insult the audience (how often has Yahtzee actually called people twats or cunts for liking a certain game?) or letting his bias get in the way of things?

If you don't want an opinion based show to be covered in personal opinion, than stop watching it. It's not a hard concept.

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
Sounds cool, but I wasn't that blown away by District 9 when I saw it. The action was nice, but the opponents were really uneven in strength and the metaphors of that film were as unsubtle as.. as unsubtle as the metaphors in this film sound like they are. I'll probably watch it since they have the good sense to pit one cyborg against another, but I'll make sure not to get swept up in your hype or I fear I'll be dissapointed.

(I don't mind the accent)

Strain42 said:
Also does anyone else find it incredibly odd that a lot of the things that people seem to just insult MovieBob over are the same thing that Yahtzee does (...)
If you don't want an opinion based show to be covered in personal opinion, than stop watching it. It's not a hard concept.
Speaking for nobody but myself, the difference between the shows is the degree that each one is funny. Moviebob doesn't do a whole ton of jokes and comedy, it's not his main thing. It's easier to be annoyed by stated opinions than opinions wrapped in a joke I just snickered at.

kickassfrog

Jan 17, 2011
Darth Sea Bass said:
August 21st in the UK?... ************.

Yeah, but we got the chance to see The World's End before the [I actually don't feel like insulting americans right now so insert your own derogatory but ultimately good-natured insult of choice] got to. So there's that.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
We're never gonna get that Battle Angel Alita movie, are we? :'(
Nope :( This pretty much killed it, just as Promethius killed The Mountains of Madness one.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Ruisu said:
Steve the Pocket said:
You know -- and this is just based on the information presented in the review -- if "the one percent" can just up and move to a space colony removed from the rest of humanity where they never have to work again, and the result is that everything goes to hell down below... doesn't that kind of validate the ideas presented in, of all things, Atlas Shrugged? You know, where all the rich people pack up and move to Rapture Galt's Gulch and everyone else is like "Oh noes, the people who actually knew how to run things are all gone, whatever shall we do?" because apparently "the 99 percent" are all idiots who need to be led by the hand by their, ahem, intellectual superiors.

What I'm getting is that this is a really obnoxious viewpoint no matter whose "side" of the conflict you claim to be on.
I think that in Elysium (and here I'm basing myself on the review and trailers just like you), is not that Rich people leaving earth caused the world to go hell, is more like, when those people left, they took everything that made the world "work" with them. Or maybe the world was already fucked up enough before they did, and the problem really lies in rich people making this huge space colony where everything is better but leaving everyone else who can't afford it to deal with a broken planet Earth.
Hmmm? Isn't that sorta kinda the entire point to most of Ayn Rand's works? Particularly Atlas Shrugged? Now maybe that would have been an interesting point to explore in parallel with this films heavy handed Occupy Space Habitrail / LaRaza themes. Sadly this is a Hollywood production.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Makabriel said:
I have never in my life walked out of a movie thinking "You, know.. that movie made me think of how badly 'x' is being treated by 'y' and how our government is 'z'". I never understood how people get their backs up by "ham fisted" force feeding of today's latest trending problems in a movie. I watch movies to be entertained. I don't care if the movie has ties to real world happenings. Never once did a movie make me question the way I think about things. Never once did I think "Oh, this director is a devout believer of somethingorother, I better not watch it because that means I subscribe to their views". Are people this weak willed that they think they'll be brainwashed by something topical in a sci-fi action movie?

Just boggles my mind..
It has nothing to do with thinking about how you might "subscribe to their views" or be "brainwashed". It has to do with film-makers with very clear-cut beliefs making movies that take complicated ideas that are chock full of grey areas and reducing them to black-and-white fantasy, where everyone falls into convenient categories of "if you think this way you're smart and righteous and wonderful, and if you think this way you're a vile and disgusting human being". As you can imagine, people don't really like being insulted, and they especially don't like it when you insult them by presuming to understand their views when the film-maker clearly doesn't (or just ignores them).