Escape to the Movies: Exodus: Gods and Kings - The 11th Plague

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Exodus: Gods and Kings - The 11th Plague

How does Ridley Scott's biblical epic hold up?

Watch Video

JackgarPrime

Jul 17, 2012
Sounds like the only "Gods and Kings" I should bother with is playing another round of Civilization V.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
There's been a lot of Christian movies covered by ETTM this year: Last Son of God, Noah, Heaven is for Real and now Exodus.

Why so many Christ movies this year?

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Burnouts3s3 said:
There's been a lot of Christian movies covered by ETTM this year: Last Son of God, Noah, Heaven is for Real and now Exodus.

Because 12/12/12 was a HUGE missed opportunity and the studios are quadrupling down this year. 12/12/14, not as scary, but LOOKIT THE PLAGUES

Captcha: I'm not even middle-aged! Stop trying to sell me social security! (after 20 clicks) "friend zone"....ok time for the talk - I like you as a safety feature but you can't force me to do things.

i4njw

May 7, 2014
"He's got one half of a matched pair of specially-made swords... and yes, Ramses has the other one." Wow. It just sounded kinda bland and boring until that part, but that just sounds cartoonishly bad. That's such an old trope, I can't remember the last time I saw it.

BTW, anyone know the TVTropes page for that?

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Why wouldn't a film made by a primarily white nation for a white audience cast a white cast? (USA the least white country out of USA, Canada, Europe and Australia is still 72% white) when Nigerian and Indian film producers do Shakespearean film adaptions they use black and Asian casts because that's who their audience is.

Second thing Jewish is a religion not a race just like you get white and black Christians and Muslims. Israel was mostly populated by white European when it was founded it's only after it's first war that more middle eastern Jews became the dominant ethnicity.

Newway12

Oct 21, 2014
Burnouts3s3 said:

I'm not sure this was suppose to be a Christian movie

MooseHowl

Dec 20, 2008
"Christian Bale is Moses?! Christian Bale looks about as jewish as Jet Li!"

Oh god. I can't stop laughing at that line, for some reason. If only Jet Li would follow his dreams and one day play Moses in a movie, like he knows he has always wanted to, deep in his heart!

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
aaaw come on, I like the "rivals have matching swords" thing.
If executed well it can make for some decent theming.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Burnouts3s3 said:

I would hesitate to call Noah and Exodus "Christian" movies; those are more trying to take cues from the old Biblical epics of the 50 and 60s. Now, Last Son of God and Heaven is for Real, THOSE are Christian movies.

As for the film, it is weird to see how Scott has started making these visually stunning but also ultimately boring or confusing films.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Burnouts3s3 said:

Wouldn't this be a Jewish film? Unless some of the events of the film happen during one of the sequels to the Old Testament of course.

OT: Well that's a shame, 'cos some of the plagues do seem to look good in the trailers.

Who am I kidding? What doesn't look good in Hollywood movie trailers?

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I would say the cast for this movie is bad but I'm sure if it reaches the level of badness like Johnny Depp playing Tonto in The Lone Ranger or, I swear to God this movie is real, John Wayne as Genghis Khan in the Howard Hughes film The Conqueror. But I could be wrong on that part.

Yes, that last movie I mentioned exists and, trust me, having the Duke playing a Mongolian was just the tip of that radioactive iceberg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conqueror_%28film%29

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
At least Noah used all the vaguery and revisionism of the Old Testament to go fucking nuts.

I mean seriously, why the fuck would you nerf GOD from a guy who can turn a massive body of water into blood just 'cause, into a guy who, if you make him real mad, will make crocodiles slightly more inclined to eat anything that moves than they already are?!

P-89 Scorpion said:
Why wouldn't a film made by a primarily white nation for a white audience cast a white cast? (USA the least white country out of USA, Canada, Europe and Australia is still 72% white) when Nigerian and Indian film producers do Shakespearean film adaptions they use black and Asian casts because that's who their audience is.
Partly because Hollywood's audience is so vastly more diverse and international as to make that comparison laughable, and partly because lesser known film industries usually only get to pull in local talent.

I mean, I generally don't care about ethnicity in casting unless it flies so far in the face of historical accuracy as to be inexcusable, provided the actor in question delivers a good performance. I think it's kind of unfair on the actor for a role they put good work into to be overshadowed by some people thinking their skin-tone isn't right. However, 'The audience is white so who cares?' is not a very good defence, especially when it's not very accurate.

Second thing Jewish is a religion not a race just like you get white and black Christians and Muslims. Israel was mostly populated by white European when it was founded it's only after it's first war that more middle eastern Jews became the dominant ethnicity.
That's not strictly speaking true. Yes, Judaism is a religion, and many Jews today look more European than anything else, because [heavily abridged history] they were largely forced out of their native Middle East by the Roman Diaspora, and integrated into civilisation across Europe over the course of centuries, until the Holocaust happened and a lot of them quit Europe and went to found Israel. [/heavily abridged history]

The point is, back in the days of Ancient Egypt, 'The Jews' were an ethnic people as much as they were a religious sect, and probably looked far closer to being Arabic than European.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
i4njw said:
"He's got one half of a matched pair of specially-made swords... and yes, Ramses has the other one." Wow. It just sounded kinda bland and boring until that part, but that just sounds cartoonishly bad. That's such an old trope, I can't remember the last time I saw it.

BTW, anyone know the TVTropes page for that?
The closest I can find is Bifurcated Weapon [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BifurcatedWeapon], which has Blackstar (the Filmation cartoon in that image Bob used) as an example.

legend forge

Mar 26, 2010
P-89 Scorpion said:

Judaism is a religion, but there is such a thing as "ethnic Judaism". The religion and ethnicity are tied closely together, but not so close as to avoid distinction. Israel was not "first populated by white Europeans", It was conquered by them. Ever hear of Mesopotamia? Learn yourself some history.

And a movie being aimed at a "primarily white nation" (whatever that is supposed to mean) is no excuse to ignore the mistakes of the past. Remember how upset people got at how white Alladin looked while Jafar was practically a caricature of Evil Arabs? There is no reason to whitewash events that are supposed to have taken place in real history (even if there is no evidence it really happened). I'm not going to say that every character must remain the same race in all incarnations, but to lazily swap out one entire group for another in the name of ease and appealing to some idiotic notion of a "white nation" is not the best way to do things.