Escape to the Movies: Final Destination 5

MaxFan

Nov 15, 2008
I'll have to see that first movie now just to see how they executed the idea of invisible aliens.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Darkest Hour looks like it could be cool, I like the idea of invisible aliens lots of cheap suspense moments to be had there. If for Final Destination I've enjoyed them, they don't seem to get better but they don't get worse either, and always deliver on there promise, Rub Goldberg style deaths.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Funny how more people are talking about the trailer for a movie talked about for one minute than the actual movie reviewed. I'd like to think that this is a sign on just how little people actually care about the Final Destination films anymore. Still, I might give this one a rent when it comes to DVD.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I'm a little curious regarding the Anne Hathaway photo that seems to be angering people, were we ever really promised Catwoman? The last thing I heard was the casting announcement, which very specifically said Bane and Selina Kyle. I figured that either she wouldn't take on the Catwoman identity (or at least not the name and costume), or if she did it wouldn't look like we're used to. Given the nature of Christopher Nolan's Batman movies, that seemed like the logical conclusion to draw. Has anything happened or been said since then that led us to believe anything else?

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
darkest hour sounds alright. i think i will give this one a shot. invisible aliens sounds alright if you ask me.
for final destination. maybe i watch it if i have nothing better to do. watched recently part 4 by renting the dvd. pretty much like all the other 3 of them. i do like part 1+2 though. they are alright wile part 3 was rather meh. part 4 was also meh but i can say that i have seen worse.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Invisible Aliens as a threat is a genius idea for a low budget movie. As always, how good it ends up depends of the execution.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Actually invisible aliens could actually work. After all, monsters become that much more frightening the less you see of them, so imagine a monster that you can't fucking see at all.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
I've only seen the 2nd FD flick, but that one was damn fun. It has perhaps the best car crash scene ever presented.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
RoseArch said:
You HAD to mention The Darkest Hour? Blog about it, yes. But, dude, seriously ... Why are you bashing it ON VIDEO? I mean, come on. It's 2011 and you still care about this sort of thing?

Anyhoo, Final Destination 5. One was great. Two was SPLAT-tastic and the rest just sucked. So I'm not expecting much of this one
Scarim Coral said:
In regard to that film Darkest Hour, I'm sure the scene with them against the invisible aliens will be much more convincing than the likes like that Z rated film Birdemic (look up at the scene when they fend off against the poorly animated birds).
As for Final Destination I lost interest when I watch the third film despite when my mate told me to check out the forth film. Yeah I will give it a miss since there are a few films I still got to check out.
The fourth one is decent, joining the ranks of 1 and 2 but yeah, the third one kinda sucked.

Himmelgeher

May 17, 2010
I was honestly expecting him to bash this one. After the massive failures of 3 and 4, I thought it would be hard finding an honest review of this. Glad to see I was wrong.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
hermes200 said:
Yeah but those ones weren't actually invisible. They were very very orange.

Also, how does Tony Todd manage to never age? It's disconcerting.

Super Six One

Apr 23, 2009
Ne1butme said:
I've only seen the 2nd FD flick, but that one was damn fun. It has perhaps the best car crash scene ever presented.
I heard that, that scene was one of the most expensive scenes/car crashes ever, at least at the time.(Don't know if its ture) Its very impressive to watch, the log into the police car is just baddass.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I'm actually surprised this one GOT a critic review...

So... if you want to see something this weekend that doesn't suck... go watch "30 minutes or less" instead...

I saw the midnight release for it, and had to admit that it was really, pretty damn good. The acting was surprising solid on all parts, the story is actually almost believable, and it's funny while not being completely ridiculous, and most important of all... it's fun.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
The "Are you f***ing kidding me" during the prologue can be replied exactly the same.

There is a movie set in Russia, with invisible aliens who are more dangerous by day than by night, and have to be avoided/defeated through makeshift means, and that is a BAD THING?!?

Riiiight, because we need more movies like Battle:Los Angeles

hipster666

Dec 13, 2009
The thing with MB's reviews that I sometimes get annoyed about is that The Darkest Hour gets harsh criticism before a release, despite it having a not dissimilar premise to Attack The Block. The aliens there are black furry outlines with glow in the dark teeth and you don't really ever get much of a money-shot of the aliens throughout, since their fur absorbs all light. It was an interesting premise which saved massively on cost and ramped up the terror instead of dialling it down. Couldn't this one do the same? Certainly the shot of the dog being turned into kibble in an open street would scare the shit out of anyone! Must admit, it being an American film with the obligatory teen contingent, I don't hold out much hope but critics are meant to judge on what is seen, not what MAY be seen.

And then to give FD5 a pass!!! Seriously... Has the critic brain fallen asleep at the wheel?

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
GHudston said:
RE: Invisible Aliens

I'm just going to leave this here. :)
That really doesn't count because we actually see him A LOT at the end and in a few small scenes scattered around the middle. All of the best MONSTER horror films actually show the villian progressively more and more until the very end where we see him unobscured in his true form Examples include: THE THING, The Nightmare on Elm Street,Jaws, Predator and even freaking Lake Placid(Which wasn't that great but was a decent throwback with a smallish budget.) among others.

OT: The first movie looks like crap and I have never seen a final destination movie and I don't plan to. If I want to see wierd deaths with no real tension I can watch a 1000 ways to die for free.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
ImSkeletor said:
If I want to see wierd deaths with no real tension I can watch a 1000 ways to die for free.
Ah yes... true... But don't you think not having to hear the annoying "Ways to Die" disembodied voice is worth the theater money?