Escape to the Movies: Final Destination 5

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
(shot of Superman poster) "This might actually work?" C'mon Bob, it's Zack Snyder, of course it will work. I'm just hoping they keep it real, no time rewinding, space flying crap. I hope he can't even fly and just jumps very high, like in the original comics :) And even if they mess the script and the actors suck, we'll still get awesome images on awesome music, so worth going to the Cinema to see it.

Now back to the actual video. Invisible aliens sound pretty cool actually. You can find a good scientific explanation (parallel universe) and any monster that you can't see is scarier than the ones you can. Not that I'm expecting the movie to be good, but hey, innocent until proven crap. As for Final Destination, I never watched any of them, but the preview really got me interested (the acupuncture scene in particular). Gonna go watch it in 3D cause I miss a good thriller. After that I'll head straight to the video store to borrow the first movie of the series. Save the good wine for last, heh?

Zetsubou^-^

Mar 1, 2011
oh come on bob.
not seeing the monster is not as bad as not knowing anything significant about it. that was my 2nd most hated thing about cloverfield, beat only by the idiot cameraman we were forced to watch stumble through the whole movie, that could not for one second hold the camera steady or justify his existence. and yes the high point of that movie for me was when he finally did die. (i was wishing it at least halfway through.)

if it really is low budget, invisibility is a reasonable way to save money, and from what i saw it had kind of a predator vibe, and didn't look bad. invisibility is still scary to people because the unseen still taps that primal fear in some people. now obviously the difference between this and predator is number of unseen. not really fair for humans, but who says the bad guy's camo always has to break easily? plus i think they had some sort of armor or shielding, because the bullets looked like they affected the camo at least a little. honestly movies like this should show bits and pieces of the monster, or you get something cheesy or terrible looking like the ones that appear in syfi's "original" movies.

as for final destination, is final no longer final? final fantasy has been beating its own horse for 25+ years. if the destination can no longer be final either, what will be next? final potato chip? final break? final finale? I'm in despair! Finals not being final has left me in despair!

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Invisible aliens? It reminds me of this...

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6232058/ghost-spiders

No, but seriously. I kinda got tired of this franchise on the second movie, when I realized it was exactly the same as the first. At least the first Final Destination was new and fresh and more believable. The newest FD movies just come up with dumb ways to die, like dying while I'm typing a comment about a lame movie and then suddenly swallowing a watermelon's seed, spitting it out, then the seed bounces off the monitor, hits the fan that had faulty wiring and then falling on top of me i--

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Ugh. Horror films need to curl up and die. I hate the final destination series. Hate. I fucking goddamn holy shit hate them all. This is the DUMBEST movie franchise ever. I will watch Uve Boll over this. Yes. I just said that.

First one was 3/5 at best. Since then they've all been shit shit shit. I stopped caring the moment when the 2nd film ended with a mother watching her son get barbecued in front of her. That's not funny or interesting or entertaining in the slightest. These films are the diarrhea of modern-day filmmaking. Joel Schumacher, Michael Bay, and every romantic comedy ever made are better than this.

Ugh. I need to streamline some Christopher Nolan into my bloodstream now.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
i don't get what the problem with the invisible aliens is... i mean sure it's been done before but Is that really a problem when it's at least not a remake of something else? Do you really want a remake of Predator with [insert up and coming action hero actor] instead of an original idea with invisible aliens? how is this in any way offensive? how is a remake of planet of the apes not? and how is a fifth final destination movie not?

Lupine Volt

Apr 10, 2011
Can we just make a seperate thread for Darkest Hour already? It looks like only about 2 posts on each page are actually about the movie we saw the review of.

Watched it, loved it, twist made me and my friend gasp, hope more come.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
watched this movie today. well, pretty much what you expect from a FD movie. but i have to agree with bob that the ending was good and funny at the same time. also surprising to be honest.
so yeah, if you liked the FD movies or dont mind them at all, you will be happy with this one. for non FD viewers, dont waste your time.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
The Final Destination movies are all about an invisible force killing teenies,so invisible aliens shouldn't really be a problem.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Saw the trailer for "The Darkest Hour" today when I went to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes. As schlocky as it appeared, it was easily the best trailer. Then again, it was going up against Hugh Jackman in Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots, and that new 3 Musketeers remake which, for some inexplicable reason, features steampunk airships, some unlikeable emo pussy as D'Artagnan and a horribly miscast Ray Stevenson as Porthos.

Nashidar

Jun 2, 2010
Bob ...I really don't see how you can pre-judge The Darkest Hour. That's another one of your unjustifiable, foaming at the mouth, rants that you tend to go on that I dislike so much.

Remove that and your reviews would be perfect.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Final Destination 5 was horrible. I found that I didn't care about the characters, who would care about a bunch of business students at a paper factory? Who cares about the drama between them? High school kids flying to Paris and dying in an explosion is something people care about but not these people and the movie did nothing to make you want to care either. I'll rent it when it hits DVD and cheer at the beginning when they are all dying and then turn it off.

Anyway, as the movie went on it was painful to hear "if you murder someone, you can save your own life". What a pathetic idea, were the writers sitting around getting high when they thought that shit up?

The best part was the ending but that's only because it referenced back to the first movie. It didn't actually fit.

horrorfan666

Oct 8, 2011
The first Final Destination is a classic. It was different, original and scary. The sequels were ludicrous, and the deaths were funny. Not a great formula for a horror film. Give this series a rest now. And as for the Scream series - enough already. Remakes are bad enough, we don't need these pathetic sequels flooding cinemas and DVD stores.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
invisible aliens...hey not a bad idea on a low budget lol

and...ugh
no longer have high hopes for dark knight rises (title shoulda been the clue)