Escape to the Movies: Final Destination 5

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
During the invisible monsters part, I wasn't sure if he was going to end with "what a load of crap" or "oh wow, that's brilliant".

Y'know, I think it could actually work. I have no idea if that particular movie will make it work, the trailer didn't look all that promising, but I think the concept is workable.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
Draconalis said:
ImSkeletor said:
If I want to see wierd deaths with no real tension I can watch a 1000 ways to die for free.
Ah yes... true... But don't you think not having to hear the annoying "Ways to Die" disembodied voice is worth the theater money?
How dare you talk about Ron Perlman in a negative light. Did you melt millions of hearts in City of Lost Children? Didn't think so! In all seriousness the voice doesn't really bother me and sometimes he makes "So Bad its good" jokes.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
The Darkest Hour actually kind of intrigues me: it's going to have to have a subplot of "how do we target these fuckers? If we stick with 'spray-n-pray', we're gonna run out of bullets real fast", which could be interesting and engaging if handled correctly.

BOB: two requests!
1) Stop with the bleeping! If Yahtzee can cuss, I think you can say 'shit' or 'fuck' occasionally!
2) Please-oh-please, for a guy who saw the original in the theater, review Conan the Barbarian next week so I can prepare myself for disappointment, if need be... (I'm seeing it regardless!)

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I saw the trailer for "The Darkest Hour" a little back and i thought the idea of invisible aliens could be pretty good.
Never bash something before it's come out Bob, it could come back to bite you in the ass.

As for Final Destination 5 i'm not sure where i stand. From the review it sounds like it's just what we'd expect from Final Destination after all this time. Maybe i'll have a look around when it comes on dvd.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Hell, sounds like that movie you talked about in the beginning is far more interesting, frankly the final destinaton movies grew tired for me by the second movie... and I've only seen the fourth, wrap your head around that little paradox.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
The invisible alien movie reminds me of the Vincent and The Doctor episode with the "crefayas" or however you spell it. I've been so sick of "1000 Ways to Die" the movie since part 3.

- Are you kidding me?

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
My Darkest Hour joke revolves around how it's a completely typical teen slasher horror date movie, but at the halfway point it jumps off the tracks and instead of getting topless and gutted by a chainsaw the ditsy blonde's going to save mankind.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
The first FD was all right. Nothing spectacular, but it was fresh and suspenseful. Thing is, this is one of those franchises where if you've seen one movie you've literally seen all the other ones - the only real differences are the exact characters involved and which dies how. And even that can be easily emulated with a blindfold, some darts, a bunch of random words, and a Mad Lib sheet (is that what they're called, with the sentences and certain words taken out that you have to fill in yourself?).

Furthermore, after the first movie the death scenes went from shocking to hilariously ridiculous to just plain stupid as each movie dropped, and this one was no exception (based on the trailer at least). I mean, c'mon... someone honestly approved of a scene where A DOCTOR FUCKING LEAVES RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF CORRECTIVE EYE SURGERY?! And don't get me started on other such nonsense such as the guy having his brain eaten by a truck engine (FD3?), the tanning bed incident (FD3), the entire scene with the pipes and the gas tank (FD2), the elevator (FD2), the hospital room (FD2, featuring Krato- er, TC Carson!), the exploding grill (FD2, which was hysterical), all of FD4... if you happen to be a bit of a science buff like I am, the entire franchise will give you a brain hemorrhage.

I just got paid today... I think I'll go watch Rise of the Planet of the Apes. :D

GaryH

Sep 3, 2008
ImSkeletor said:
GHudston said:
RE: Invisible Aliens

I'm just going to leave this here. :)
That really doesn't count because we actually see him A LOT at the end and in a few small scenes scattered around the middle. All of the best MONSTER horror films actually show the villian progressively more and more until the very end where we see him unobscured in his true form Examples include: THE THING, The Nightmare on Elm Street,Jaws, Predator and even freaking Lake Placid(Which wasn't that great but was a decent throwback with a smallish budget.) among others.

OT: The first movie looks like crap and I have never seen a final destination movie and I don't plan to. If I want to see wierd deaths with no real tension I can watch a 1000 ways to die for free.
I honestly could not agree with you more if I tried.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
In regard to that film Darkest Hour, I'm sure the scene with them against the invisible aliens will be much more convincing than the likes like that Z rated film Birdemic (look up at the scene when they fend off against the poorly animated birds).
As for Final Destination I lost interest when I watch the third film despite when my mate told me to check out the forth film. Yeah I will give it a miss since there are a few films I still got to check out.
SHOCK AND TERROR!!!

OT:Yeah,this is funny,just because the franchise was supposed to end a whole movie ago. So yeah,this franchise is the next Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th because it probably won't be dead for a while

UnmotivatedSlacker

Mar 12, 2010
danirax said:
invisible aliens.... I dont even....thats just well... WHY?!
Why not? It can make for some interesting scenes and people are spectacularly afraid of the unknown which can work in their favor. You make sound like it's never been done before.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
They've already made four more of these things? I'm impressed.

danirax said:
invisible aliens.... I dont even....thats just well... WHY?!
Yeah, shadow monsters can work well - but outright invisibility seems cheesy. It would probably be awesome as a parody of these films, but straight up I don't see it working.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Well I never. He liked the original film even though it's a completely stupid and flawed idea. That being no matter if you "cheat death" at some point you still die. But watching someone get old or catch a really nasty cold would be a bit dull.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
Wait... What?! Before this review started, I'd have bet my next paycheck that we were going to be treated to yet another version of the Expendables/Scott Pilgrim rant that Hollywood wastes it's time producing dreck, and the the movie going public are inbred morons for going to watch it. And not only doesn't he do more than mildly criticize the movie, he pretty much actually seemed to like it. Even accepting it for what it is - just a series of gruesome deaths held together with a thin story.

Where is the real Movie Bob; and what did you do with him?!

Jan 27, 2011
Insivible aliens?! IN A SUSPENSE MOVIE?!

................THAT'S !@#$ING AWESOME!!! I am now officially interested.

How the hell can you even think of being offended, bob? It's a genius way to add suspense, a genius way to not spend tons of money, and it allows for tons of original scenes!

Personally, I think it's freakin genius. I might just go see that movie when it hits.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Eh. I went to see the movie because it was guilty pleasure for me. Good thing I saw all 4 previous movies (especially the one movie that'll surprise you at the end).

LilGherkin

Aug 15, 2008
Did I see the kid from "The Girl Next Door" in "The Darkest Hour" preview during the prologue?